Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

86% of Eircom Exchanges will not be Broadband upgraded before September 2004

• 23-01-2003 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

They said today that they will do 150 out of 1100 by September 2004 (14% or so)

86% of Exchanges , 950 out of 1100 will bot be done before then.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

thats fuppin ridiculous :o

they announce a reduction in price of ADSL so that mere mortals can almost afford it, but only 14% can get it!?!?!? whats the deal with that?

And then someone claims that it's predatory?

Need they're heads screwed on proper.

I read somewhere (probably on lovely boards) that we r second worst in europe for broadband, the worst having no broadband penetration. ne1 remember this one?

Ape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

i.e. The % of people that will have access to it?
    A lot of the exchanges not being upgraded probably have very little people attached to them. I think this is a case of statistics that have been fiddled with to suit your argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by ironape
    they announce a reduction in price of ADSL so that mere mortals can almost afford it, but only 14% can get it!?!?!? whats the deal with that?
    The deal is that about 70% of the population will be serverd by those 150 exchanges. Do you think there are 600 exchanges in the greater Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ardmore
    The deal is that about 70% of the population will be serverd by those 150 exchanges. Do you think there are 600 exchanges in the greater Dublin area?

..."should" be served Ardmore.

In reality only 20% of line tests on enabled Eircom exchanges were initially sucessful ...middle of last year (ish)

while the matter has improved since, and will improve further at RADSL tolerances from March onwards and will improve further when ISDN lines are being tested along with analogue, I would think they could get the numbers up to 70-80% on a given exchange sometime this year.

Now, where is the list of exchanges/towns to be done by 30/09/2004 . The where bit will do for the moment, the when can follow later. Do we have a right to know yet with the peak house buying season almost upon us and all.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Hi,
    Can somebody post a URL for this piece of news. I would also like a list of exchanges/towns to be done by 30/09/2004.
    Thanks in advance
    Thegills

• Advertisement
Advertisement