Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Web Space..

Options
  • 23-01-2003 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I do not have Internet connection at home and it doesn't look like i will for the next few years so for now i have to settle for something i just heard recently and that was free web space (no connection required). The thing is though, i don't know any addresses for this type of service and i don't know anything about the process either. Can someone please list a couple of URL's that might aid me in my quest and info explo on this matter.

Thanks for your help with the links earlier.

Prophet88

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Dunno if your talking about free internet acces or free web space.

Free WebSpace AND Free Webspace
    ==========================
    Free Webspace Included with all major ISP acounts
    Eircom.ie
    IOL.ie
    UTV.ie

Free Webspace
    ==========================
    Dedicated suppliers of free webspace for websites
    Geocities.com
    tripod.com
    homestead.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Wow! What a marketing idea!

Hey I can give you 500 gigs of free webspace... wanna know how? Well, just sign up and its yours. You can't connect to it - it just sits there glowingly. Enjoy your free web space!

What do you want to do - surf the net without a connection? Or do you want to have webspace on the net to put files/pictures/music onto? If it's door number 2 Ballooba's links are your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Bah.

Just fork out for a domain name & webspace.
    I'm thinking of doing this, or perhaps taking the pII 400 I have collecting dust and making it into a dedicated box, from which I will offer email addresses and webspace to friends and family.

This requires motivation, but most of all money.

"Will program for food".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 prophet88

Well,as the question went, I am looking for "Free Web Space". I know well enough not to go for free connection especially when i can't afford to get in a phone line!

Ill check that site out ballooba, thanks.

Thanks for your replies guys, appreciated.

prophet88

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh, I see what you mean, apologies. You want space somewhere to put your files etc? You will be using internet cafe's to access them?

I use Tripod as they give you about 20 megs or so, be prepared for popups etc. Did you know that Boards gives you a coupla meg too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Darth Henry

I had a fairly big site with tripod until they accidentally deleted it.

They admitted it too. "Sorry nothing we can do for you, hope you'll stay with Tripod..........."

B*astards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Darth Henry
    I had a fairly big site with tripod until they accidentally deleted it.

They admitted it too. "Sorry nothing we can do for you, hope you'll stay with Tripod..........."

B*astards.
    You get what you pay for...

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    Try http://www.breezeland.com/
    Their business model is ehmm, 'interesting' - they expect to survive on users visiting sponsors etc., ...
    You could get a year's hosting and a domain name for less than what you'd spend on good night out, with a free provider you get what you paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

My hosting just lapsed with www.abodehosting.co.uk they cost Stg29.99 per year and I could host two domains on it my site wesleyburke.com & my sisters' rachelburke.com .

I said I'd have a look on the web to see if I could get a better deal so off I went to http://www.findmyhosting.com/ and found Jatol Internet Services and they offer US$30 a year (with 10 free additional domains if I want!) and a 7 day trial which is kinda handy.

I get my domains from GoDaddy for ~US$8.95

I know it ain't free but I got kinda sick of hosting with the likes of Geocities and Freeservers. With Abode and Jatol you can mess around with PHP for free and not have any banner ads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The topic entitles

Hosting Links

has some good free hosts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

http://www.brinkster.com is a decent free host with asp support and no banners. It also has a 30 megs quota.

you could also opt to look for a free shell account like rootshell.be where you will get php support, ftp and ssh access oposed to the http file management system of brinkster.

Advertisement