Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for TCP/IP Exam......

• 23-01-2003 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

I'm currently doing the Network+ Course in Dorset College and I have an exam in TCP/IP tonight. I have a previous exam paper here and I've answered all the questions, BUT..... there's one and I think I'm wrong but I can't find any other answer so I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to tell me if I'm right...

Ok so the question is:
    You have configured two computers, Computer A and Computer B, on the same network using basic TCP/IP parameters (IP address, subnet mask & default gateway). The two computers are connected by a hub. The hub is connected to a router, which is the default gateway for all computers on this network. After you finish, Computer A cannot communicate with Computer B. View the configurations below, determine why the computers cannot communicate and how to fix the problem.
    COMPUTER A
    IP ADDRESS 192.168.10.120
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.10.1

COMPUTER B
    IP ADDRESS 192.168.12.121
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.10.1

So my answer is that both address are Class C and the subnets and the gateways are correct but the network portions of the address are different. So to solve the problem I would change the network portions to be the same so the IP's would be
    192.168.10.120 & 192.168.10.121

Am I wrong??? if so what the hell is the answer?? I've been going mad trying to find it.....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My first thought would be the 192.168.12.121
    since as you said the gateway is 192.168.10.1

so I would say you're right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

Thats sounds right to me, there's no subnetting and it's only going through the hub so it has to be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Thanks so much guys, I hate second guessing my self, it's nice to have some back up!
    :D

Advertisement