Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If your line test fails...

Options
  • 23-01-2003 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I was failed by Esat for being 300 metres too far away from the exchange. I'm going down the ISDN/UTV route for a bit, then if I don't move house (and closer to our exchange) by the summer, two people I know near me have a WAN setup and one of them is going to get 1mb dsl to share between them so that's an option for me.

If you're too far away I don't think there's much that can be done tbh. Why did your line test fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Comreg noted a high failure rate in this kind of accomodation, I would complain to Eircom first and then Comreg......forcibly and at length

On page 22 of this Very Recent Comreg report we see Comreg sniffily noting that while sh1te lines are all right way out in the bog (or way out from any exchange but particularly in the bog) , but not all right in Dublin.
    ComReg notes with interest the comment made regarding the reported non-availability of ADSL on many lines, including those servicing modern apartment blocks in the Dublin area. Whilst ComReg appreciates that some telephone lines may not be suitable for DSL services on account of the distance of the customer’s premise from the exchange, or particularly in rural areas, the presence of ‘loading coils’ and ‘bridge taps’ in the local loop, ComReg is concerned to hear reports of a disproportionate level of line test failures in urban areas, where distance is generally less of an issue and degradations in the local loop would not usually be expected

Comreg by implication said that sh1te lines were all right in Central Cork and Central Galway but lets not worry about that, they appear to be on the side of the Dublin flatlander anyway.

Remind them of their 'concern' and get them to do their job.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I remember a thread here before discussing the possibility of offering ADSL over an ISDN line. Supposedly Eircom have the technology and the capability to do it but are actually banned by ComReg due to the fact that they don't offer the same service to OLO's at a wholesale price (as is the requirement for Eircom to offer any service).

Am I right in saying that getting ISDN requires the installation of new digital lines? Which in turn should be ADSL capable? In other words, and to answer RicardoSmith's question in particular, getting ISDN may eventually be the answer to getting ISDN if your regular PSTN line fails.

Although remember that ADSL isn't the only form of broadband out there ;) Particularly wireless seems to be the way forward for the Irish market anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Serbian
    Am I right in saying that getting ISDN requires the installation of new digital lines? Which in turn should be ADSL capable? In other words, and to answer RicardoSmith's question in particular, getting ISDN may eventually be the answer to getting ISDN if your regular PSTN line fails.

Not really. The same copper that carries your analog voice line and your good old 56k dialup will also be used for ISDN. The just stick a high speed box on your end and patch it to an ISDN thingy in the exchange.That self same copper could also be used to provice the ADSL (including voice) service. What it cannot do is provide ISDN and ADSL at the same time, either side by side or DSL over ISDN. Hope I explained that clearly......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    If your ADSL line test fails, whats is going to happen in the future to enable a failed line to pass.......

Well there are a number of possibilities:

Dig up the copper and replace it.
    Remove crap from the line.
    Use a version of DSL with a greater reach than ADSL as it is today.
    Lower the criteria used in the test.

or most interestingly

use rate adaptive DSL (RADSL)., which is included in today's announcement. In simple terms, up to now they tested the line for a minimum of 512/128 service. If it failed, it failed, end of story. But DSL degrades as distance increased. So you might get 448 or 384 or something that you might be happy with, but if it didn't do 512, you failed. The inclusion of RADSL in today's anouncement means that if it doesn'd do the rated speed, it will step down to a speed at which it can work. Therefore lines which failed in the past, may well pass now, the downside being that you will get a lower speed.

Now all we need to do is to find out when will the test be updated........

• Advertisement
Advertisement