Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast question...

Options
  • 08-12-2000 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Read somewhere that imported games runs slower and has large borders on a PAL DC. That's cause PAL DC forces games to run at 50hz instead of 60hz. Should I get a NTSC or PAL DC if I play lots of imported games? And where can I get a NTSC DC in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bluehair:
    Actually for once a company has paid attention to the PAL market and youll find that most games will offer a 50/60hz option on loading.

Select 60hz (needless to say as long as your tv supports it) and you're laughing.

If there's an s-video port on the tv get a dreamcast-s-video cable and you'll be stunned!
    </font>
    From what I've read, all the games I am interested in like Shenmue, Street Fighter 3 Double impact etc do not have the option to select 60hz. They are actually programmed to detect what region DC you are using and will set it to 50hz. This gives it big boarders and slow gameplay. Since there no potential problems with running PAL games on a NTSC DC, I think I will go look for a NTSC one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Not true Chubby, Shenmue for one has a perfectly functional 60Hz option, and while I haven't tried Third Strike, all the other Capcom games to date have had 60Hz functionality.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any particularly decent game for the DC that DOESN'T do 60Hz...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Yup , shenmue has the 60Hz option, street fighter don't tho.
    You don't really need a NTSC machine anyway , you could always just buy import games. The DC can be chipped or just download or buy a Utopia boot disk if it suits you , considering that japan seems to get the bulk of the DC games despite how badly it does over there (makes sweet fup all sense) its worth looking into getting some imports.

Hmmm, then what is the purpose of all those PAL fixes on dccopyworld.com. Ah right, just ignore me I guess.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugs:
    You don't really need a NTSC machine anyway , you could always just buy import games.</font>
    That's what I mean, does import games not auto detect the PAL DC and runs it at 50hz? That's what all the stuff I've been reading says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

No, Utopia boot disc makes 'em think it's an NTSC machine. Import games don't HAVE a 50Hz setting, so there's no way they could run in one smile.gif

Deadly, will add Utopia bootdisk to my big dc download list. Thank god I got t1 at work for them ISOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Chip does the exact same thing , even has the small addition of giving you a red DC logo on boot-up than the european blue one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually for once a company has paid attention to the PAL market and youll find that most games will offer a 50/60hz option on loading.

Select 60hz (needless to say as long as your tv supports it) and you're laughing.

If there's an s-video port on the tv get a dreamcast-s-video cable and you'll be stunned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

s-video as in SCART?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q_Ball:
    s-video as in SCART?</font>

Nope s-video as in more commonly used to connect DVD-players (and some camcorders i believe) to the tv. The port will only feature on somewhat more modern tellys e.g.;my widescreen (cough ;-)) and the cable took a bit of finding (eventually £10 in HMV of all places) but the quality is better than scart and MSR has blown away a few PS2 believers who visited recently!

About that night, did you see a black car? I see. About that night, did you see a black car? I see. About that night, did you see a black car? I see. About that night, did you see a black car? I see.

Arrrrrrgh! (ignore the above if you dunno what I'm on about)

Anyway, bought a DC over the weekend and finally got Shenmue to work last night. It's quite cool except for some dodgy voice acting, the little girl with the kitten, like wtf. Surely they could've hired a little girl for this who can pronounce japanese names. I left the granny sitting in the park...hope she didn't wait for me all night!! And there was no option to pick 60hz and I got the black bars...hmmm...doesn't bother me though.

MSR is quite addictive...for a racing game...stayed up til 2am trying to get to the chapter 2 with a mate. In the end we got fed up and I did the challenge race again with a target of 11 cars and got the points..yay.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 13-12-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

Hmmm....Yea, you do get that 'on rails' feeling from Shenmue from time to time, 'I can't leave the area without asking more questions' etc,etc. But it's still a great game. I was suprised at how short disk 2 was, i finished in in less than an hour!!

Has anyone got Quake 3 Arena for DC and how does it play online? I thinking of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Err Chubby, I don't get borders on Shenmue when I play it at 50hz. Something fu<ked up there. You playing a dodgy version?

Advertisement