Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi drivers call for immediate appointment of regulator

Options
  • 24-01-2003 10:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Is it cynical of me to think that Tommy Gorman probably doesn't give a FFATM about the driver that was murdered or the girls that were raped, and this is in fact a sneaky, opportunistic attempt to get the market regulated again? Of course it's not, it's so transparent it's embarassing to my spin sensibilities. Gorman's naivety should give the people he represents cause for concern though -- he's obviously not the brightest in the bushel. If I was a Government spin doctor, I'd be rubbing my hands with glee now. "Ooh look boys, we got a new toy today!"

adam

Examiner Breaking
    The latest incidents involving taxi drivers has raised questions about the type of people entering the industry.

Gangland figure, Niall Mulvihill, in his late fifties, was sitting in his taxi on Spencer Dock Quay at 10.30pm last night when he was shot a number of times. He died after crashing into traffic as he tried to make his way to hospital.

Meanwhile, another taxi driver is due to appear in court this morning to face charges of allegedly raping three 20-year-old girls in Rathmines in Dublin in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Taxi unions say a regulator must be appointed immediately to protect the public and the business of the majority of respectable hardworking cab drivers.

Tommy Gorman, of the Irish Taxi drivers, says, as it stands anyone can get behind the wheel of a taxi until the gardai catch up with them. "Our big problem is that anybody can buy a taxi-licence roof sign for €6,500 from Dublin corporation. He can go to work without showing any qualifications and to us that is a very loose procedure. You can go in, pay €6,500, you get a roof sign and you can go to work until the gardai apprehend you."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think there should be regulation of the types of people that get a Taxi license, it makes sense.

But if they do introduce regulation they will have to check through all the existing holders of taxi licenses and plates. I have a funny feeling Mr. Gorman and Co. will have a severe problem with this.

I do not agree with regulating the number of taxi's on the roads that should be dictated by the market.

Gandalf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think there should be regulation of the types of people that get a Taxi license, it makes sense.

I agree with you, but of course that's not what he's angling for.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep we all know what he's angling for. Back to the good old days (for the Taxi drivers anyway).
    1. A Cap of the Number of Taxis (the lower the better!)
    2. Being able to file a "one size fits all" Tax return to the Revenue
    3. A totally captive market
    4. Over-inflated Taxi Plates selling for Multiples of there actual value

Can't even see that poison gnome Brennen going for this (well as long as Willie O'Dea is kept away from him :p).

Gandalf.

Advertisement