Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreamcasts..... worth gettin?

Options
  • 04-12-2000 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

should i place my order with santa for 1?
    is ther many good games ment to be coming out for tham
    or just i wait next year till the ps2 drops in price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

IMo go buy a dc. I have 1. Best console i have ever owned (aside from the N64 which STILL has the best multiplayer games ever). Got some bloody classy games, worth getting for Shenmue alone. seriously. Add on top of that Soul Calibre (best 3d fighting game on any platform), resident evil- code veronica, some of teh best arcade titles EVER, PLUS online capabilties(they'l get up to date with em eventually)...not to mention the very cute wee VMU's which u canraise a Chao from Sonic Adventure on tongue.gif

BUY BUY BUY!!!!

plus..theres tony halks, powerstone and ready to rumble boxing...

vince1.gif
    Dog.
    KiT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Aye, my bro just got Shenmue(DC) the other day, looks fuppin' great, just like a lovely little virtual world... haven't started playing it yet though.

Can't wait to get my hands on MetalGearSolid-2(PS2) though (next ****in' year).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

And dont forget crazy taxi and metropolis street racer

Those games rule.

Sonic adventure too.

Sonic adventure two too (soon)

Phantasy star online (if the on-line play was free....)

and others that i cant remember

and MGS2 is the only reason i'd buy a ps2 (except maybe for Z.O.E, but thats cos it comes with a MGS2 demo....)

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

As well as Quake 3 Arena, Half Life, Black and White........The list is endless!!!!!

Forget the PS2.....Go get the good ole DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

There is a great deal I saw in game and I'm sure other places have it, where you can buy a DC and a DVD player for £380 (same price as PS2). I say get the DVD player and DC. Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Metropilis Street Racer, Half-Life, Quake 3 Arena, Ready 2 Rumble 1 & 2, Campcom games by the truckload (including Spawn: In The Demons Hand, Capcom Vs. SNK, Marvel Vs. Capcom II and the Power Stone series amongst others), Jet Set Radio, Ecco The Dolphin, Samba De Amigo and Space Channel 5. These are some of the premier titles with many more left unmentioned simply because I suddenly want to go play the masterful Metropilis Street Racer biggrin.gif Then again, the PS2 is more powerful...

ani_marco.gif Get 'em Marco!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The PS2 is "more powerful", but then again, the G4 Mac is more powerful than a PC, and you don't see anyone with a clue buying one smile.gif

(The space shuttle is also more powerful than a concorde, but you don't see me flying to New York in one)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

is that crazy Taxi game out for the playstation 1 ? :confused

:Oj:

No OJ....it's a conversion from a sega Arcade game...and it rocks.

vince1.gif
    Dog.
    KiT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Yup the DC seems to be a greit console alright - and i HEAR that u can get a "boot" disk that can play psx1 and even ps2 games tongue.gif
    ALSO i hear u can "get" a cd with 101 SNES games on it !!!

catbert.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    (The space shuttle is also more powerful than a concorde, but you don't see me flying to New York in one)</font>
    you don't see any one flying to new york in a concorde either , therefore you should get a pc.
    smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I must reply in the negatory.
    Shenmue looks good but there is very little actual game there. Crazy Taxi can be beaten in a day. Sonic Adventure just isn't good(when compared to N64 platformers). Do not buy Q3 or Half life, as FPS's do not work on consoles. Soul Calibre is probably the best beat 'em up ever, but the majority of the games aare either, too short, tooeasy or just plain crap.

Um, very little game in Shenmue? Errrrr...

Crazy Taxi can indeed be "beaten" in a day, but the point is that it's a game you'll be going back to again and again. It gets dragged out for my DC every time people are around for a beer, it's exceptionally good fun to watch and to play.

Soul Calibur is indeed amazing, as is Dead Or Alive 2, and lets not forget Metropolis Street Racer... Super Runabout is out tomorrow too, one of the best fun games I've played in ages, although the graphics don't astound.

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Ok what about upcoming games? Any good ones on the horizon for dreamcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun:
    I must reply in the negatory.
    Shenmue looks good but there is very little actual game there.
    </font>

LOL!
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">FPS's do not work on consoles.</font>

Explain how. GoldenEye anyone??
    If you're trying to bring up control issues, there is a mouse (and of course keyboard) available for the DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Spot the guy that has not actually played any games on the DC, and is going by 3rd hand reviews smile.gif

I accept the fact that take out the 'play your mates' factor that DoA2 is limited. My mates bird can even beat most of the single player stuff now smile.gif But playing your mates theres nothing better then throwing them thru a window, down to a platform a million miles below and hurling abuse at them biggrin.gif

I don’t know about the rest of ya's but Shenmue and MSR have kept me away from my PC at home for a good while now (that and the fact that I have no net in new gaff yet!). They both have masses of gameplay. In fact I have herd the argument that Shenmue maybe has TOO MUCH gameplay! (and bleedin silly US accients) There is simply too much to do for my little brain to handle, the whole 'go back 7 million stages to the house as you have forgotten to get the box of matches' syndrome does my noggin in smile.gif

I quite like Sega Rally 2, although the controls take a bit of getting used to.

The one big downside of the DC is the utter lack of football and/or football management (sports games in general bar NFL2k series TBH). And the apparent lack of anything worthwhile on the horizon. Not even a second rate Fifa clone, nor a conversion of ISS Pro from the Super NES ffs! Alas we can only but hope that the lot of yis buy DC's for Shenmue so the we can get even more games smile.gif

That UEFA Pro Soccer game is apparently pretty decent, someone in here is reviewing it atm - I'll let you know what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

good stuff, I herd from a few places who had early copies that it was a bit buggy and underpant like but we can hope they fix'd them smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Personally i'd suggest getting a 2nd hand N64 with a load of games,they go quite cheap now and considering the amount of good games its a pretty good deal,just look at goldeneye,zelda,perfect dark,etc....

UP DA DUBS!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Played shenmue while ago , thought it was good , didn't like that alot of the freedom in it isn't all that free, you can't always go where you want, the world is not "that" big and the fact that you end up doing menial tasks for seemingly no reason, makes no bleedin sense , that stupid old woman you find the house for , please tell me she helps you later????

As far as DoA2, i'm quite happy to admit the merits of the other games , but this is just sh1te , it takes the dismal virtua fighter style game and it makes it worse.
    Played fighting games religiously for years and this ones a stinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Sliotar

Sico, you have played goldeneye? the frame rate is atrocious!! the single player fps is grand but thats not why the game is famous. the multiplayer is why the game is a "classic" *ahem*. 4 player, facility, you're looken at most 10 fps, then the shootin starts and it drops to 5, downright unplayable. the fps is a little better on the other levels but they're all crap anyway ('cept for complex, maybe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You're complaining about the framerate of a 2 1/2 year old game?? And what has this got to do with Quake 3 not 'working' on the Dreamcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Couldnt recommend the Dreamcast more, only bought mine a few weeks ago and am torn between MSR(the kudos concept works so well), Quake3arena(*damn* impressed by this conversion) and Jet Set Radio(orginal and fun to play) with the odd go on Crazy Taxi when people call round.

All in all my pc has been neglected quite a bit recently and its way more cozy playing these games on the sofa in front of my widescreen telly than up in the bedroom sitting at the pc.

I daren't get Shenmue until i know i can free up some time since i get the feeling it's hard to put down.

Buy a DC and a seperate DVD player if you want that too and you won't regret it.

Mind you having said all that i'll probably buy a PS2 too but not until the price comes down significantly and there are games on it to warrant the purchase (i suspect thats gonna be Metal Gear Solid 2 whenever that happens.)

The DC is a fine machine with some excellent titles. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ayo,cheers for all the answers
    im gettin one this week,in smiths for 199 with shenmue,chu,chu-rocket anda keyboard
    yeh i seen someone playin q3 on the dc ther in gamesworld at the weekend,its looking very smooth,anyone know if the dc keyboard is a pile of shyte?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

DC Keyboard is identical to a regular win-95 keyboard (even has the windows and "right click" keys with a different name on them).

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

rasta, chu chu rocket is free,i dunno if they are charging u ,but check it out.

yeh got it today
    dreamcast
    keyboard
    msr
    shenmue
    resident evil-code veronica
    marvel vs capcom 2
    x-mass is gonna be goooooood smile.gif
    yeh and whats with the virtual memory card thinggy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

The virtual memory thingy is a must have.
    It allows you to save your game progress, scores, and heaps of other cràp.
    You can even download sub-games onto it and carry it around like a gameboy.
    Only thing about that is, there aren't many DC games that have VM sub-game's (not that I've seen anyway, only Sonic so far)

[+_~]

Power-Stone has Sub-games too, they help you unlovk more pages in that funny book thing in the game....plus the shuriken game is f00kin addictive tongue.gif

vince1.gif
    Dog.
    KiT

I type like I talk. Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

RasTa wrote: »
    I type like I talk. Jesus...

I’d be interested in buying that Dreamcast if you still have it

Advertisement