Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM Ireland to recruit 300 workers

Options
  • 24-01-2003 1:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

ENN
    IBM Ireland has said it will hire about 300 new workers in the coming weeks, as it ramps up its sales and marketing operation in the Republic.

Of the 300 new positions, about 230 will be sales and marketing posts. Last year, IBM said it would hire about 100 people for these roles but, thanks to strong demand for its products, the company has decided to more than double this figure, explained Rory Caren, communications manager for IBM Ireland. "We want full-time, professional people," Caren said, adding that language skills would be sought. In Ireland, IBM performs certain sales and marketing functions for the entire EMEA region.

The remaining 70 new employees will fill positions that have been vacated due to retirement and resignations. "In this climate, you might think that we would just leave these positions empty, but that is not the case for IBM," Caren said.

[...]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

When I first read this I thought there were 300 jobs in th IT sector opening up..
    but 230/300 of those will be in sales/marketing? Not good news for computer science grads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I have heard some horrible stories about working in IBM Ireland.
    Late salary, No own desk, Terrible HR.
    Anyone working there at the moment that can verify this ?

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

IBM !

its all true. I would suggest not to work for this company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ipso_facto

I wonder, how many Irish people actually work with IBM Ireland or the other Large Multi-National companies....etc.

Seen as they Market and sell, mainly to other European, North Africa and the Middle East.. countries etc.

Proficiency in foreign languages, being required in most positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tengu

Hi Wook, just to confirm J.P.M's statement, ibm is not a good company to work for, I used to work for them and still have friends there, the stories they tell me
    about how they are treated remind of bad times indeed when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Late salary, No own desk, Terrible HR

What was their position in IBM ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You all realise that you're commenting on a three and a half year old thread, because of that tool above that lifted it?

adam

You all realise that you're commenting on a three and a half year old thread, because of that tool above that lifted it?
    I knew that....not. :o

Ken Shabby wrote:

adam

yes but three and and a half years later things have got worse.

• Advertisement

deadl0ck wrote:
    What was their position in IBM ?

Lacky lol

I think there should be more discussion about IBM ,with their new Investment In Dublin.

People are saaying things were bad but now they're worse.
    Is this first-hand information ? What were the positions held and what were the problems ?
    I'd be interested in hearing more....

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Did these people work for IBM Ireland (primarily based out of Oldbrook House, D4) or IBM International Holdings (majority of staff in the Damastown Campus/Ballycoolin). I had no problems when working for IBM Ireland in the finance department in fact i really liked the place. However, Campus struck me as a soulless place indeed. There is definitely a difference between the two entities in terms of atmosphere and ethos.

The people I know worked in the ballycoolin building in both sales and the regular call centres, things have changed since I left but the new hires and
    regular joes working in there are treated like muck, if you ever watch the film called 'office space' which is a satirical look at a fictional call centre and corporate sales office its a great laugh by the way but hits close to the bone
    in some parts, well the call centre is like that multiplied by 100,000 in a bad way, I know 15 people who had to see a counsellor to cope with the stressful conditions and the soulless atmosphere, but like every ship no matter how rotten it is there is always a sweet spot so you wiull always get some people who had a great time there, however I've been there my friends are still there and it is by far the worst job they have ever had to endure in their career so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Yeah Ballycoolin is pants but to be honest thats the nature of the beast when dealing with a call centre set up like that. In fact for that kind of job they probably have it better than most.

Yep your right, some of my friends actuallly came from zerox and they said that was worse than ibm, still does not make it right how they treat people,
    call centres seem to be the sweat shops of the modern technical age.
    Ah well, the best thing I learned from them is to not take **** and move if you are not happy, my life completely took off for the better the moment I left that place.

Advertisement