Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what exactly is the Windows XP home OEM version

• 24-01-2003 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

what exactly is the Windows XP home OEM version

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Are you referring to the OEM bit or the overall OS.

OEM(Orginal Equipment Manufacturers) - basically means a cd in a thin case shrink wrapped, with no cutesy box, ie - not the commercial packaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

OEM versions of Windows are meant to be sold bundled with hardware only -- not on their own. So if you buy a machine from Dell, you'll get an OEM version of XP bundled with it. The OEM version is considerably cheaper than the normal retail version.

If someone is offering to sell you an OEM copy of Windows on its own (without bundled hardware), that's illegal and you should report them to Microsoft for software piracy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If someone is offering to sell you an OEM copy of Windows on its own (without bundled hardware), that's illegal and you should report them to Microsoft for software piracy

Lies - OEM versions of software are perfectly legal to sell on. You don't get the manual or extras but you do OWN IT.

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It may not be illegal (according to national law) to sell it on but I'd expect that it is a breach of the software's "End User License Agreement (EULA)" which I expect would state that it can only be supplied with a new PC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DAFUB

I'm getin it with a bundle

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tribble
    Lies - OEM versions of software are perfectly legal to sell on. You don't get the manual or extras but you do OWN IT.
    Well, the EULA on my computer says:
    * Software Product Transfer. You may permanently
    transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of
    a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE
    So we'e both right -- it's legal to sell it, but only if you sell it along with the hardware it was bundled with.
    I'm getin it with a bundle
    It's legal then -- nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I accept your point

but i'd like to see a EULA hold up i court (perhaps it would, i don't know)

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by tribble
    I accept your point

but i'd like to see a EULA hold up i court (perhaps it would, i don't know)

b

If you googled it you'd know...

(Put "EULA Court" into google... one of the responses is: this)

That's a US court decision. Are there any equivalent Irish judgements?

Anyway, unless you want to end up in court being sued by Microsoft, it's probably not a good idea to sell unbundled OEM copies of Windows.

Advertisement