Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor dosent come on..?

• 24-01-2003 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭

ok,

i have a friend who just got a new pc -

amd athlon 2200 xp
    VIA Apollo Kt266 mainboard
    30gb 5400rpm HD
    256mb ddr ram
    cd rom
    writer
    network card
    no gfx

ok the problem happened when he firstly got the pc, he opened it up and put in his old nvidia tnt2 32mb gfx into it before he got his new gf3 to use with it, so after he put in the tnt he plugged it all back in and turned on the pc, the pc starts fine is shows all usual signs of working grand but the monitor isnt coming on at all..

- yes the wires are all plugged in
    - yes he has agp slot and it was in there

so im wondering is the tnt causing some sort of conflict or anything or what teh hell is causing the monitor not to work

ta

baz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

he just said when he turns it on the inbuilt sound does

"1 long beep then 2 quick ones"

im not sure if thats normal or what error its indicating, any1 able to help ???

baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

sounds like the graphics card or the ram isn't settled into it's slot properly.
    prolly the graphics card, you sometimes need to really force the bastards into place.

this site might be handy for figuring out what the beeps mean

ok i said that to him but he seemed pretty adament that they were in fully, could it be anything else, is the gfx too old maybe?

baz

find out what kind of mobo he has & use that link to figure out what the beeps mean

1 long & 2 short seems to mean that there's no graphics card present, so your friend has either broken it or not inserted it properly, i'd go for the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I have to agree with tman. Those beep sounds are only to familiar to me. That IS the sound of no gfx card present. Your friend has either got a broken card, put it in wrongly, not pushed it down enough, or his agp port is ****ed. Best way to check is to put a "working" gfx card in. Make sure u know for definite its working.

ok thx for all the help, as it turns out it was the gfx at fault but he tried a 4mb pci card and the monitor worked so there might be a fault in his agp port, he said he was pretty sure he put the tnt in properly so who know's until he gets a agp gfx to see

cheers

baz

well he got a gf4 ti4200 and all's well, worked grand.

sorted, ta for the help

baz

Advertisement