Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iraq/US order of Battle

Options
  • 24-01-2003 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is the right folder to post this topic in but , can anyone tell me ,or does anyone know the amount of tanks , bombers ,troops,fighters etc Iraq have at the moment compared to the US build up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GavinS

The Iraqi army stands at 375,000 today, with just 2,200 tanks. Mostly older T- 72s. The effective size of the Iraqi army may be much smaller than that, because many Iraqi regular army and air force units plan might sit out a war. The defense of Saddam's regime may fall upon six Republican Guard divisions of about 10,000 men each, and four Special Republican Guard brigades of 2,500 troops each.

In 1991, nothing the Iraqis had could penetrate the armor of the Abrams tank. Now it is thicker. In 1991, the Iraqis couldn't hide from the Apache attack helicopter. Thanks to the Longbow, the Apache can now see farther.

The Longbow is radar that can locate and classify up to 128 potential targets in 30 seconds. Army tests indicate that the Longbow Apache is four times more lethal and seven times more survivable than the Apaches that fought in the Gulf War.

Most of the bombs dropped in 1991 were iron bombs. Nearly all the bombs dropped in a second Gulf War will be smart bombs. Sensors are a lot better. Even low level commanders have their own drones.

The Iraqi air force was a non-factor in the Gulf War. It is now less than a third the size it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I think that the Americans might JUST be able to squeeze a victory.

Advertisement