Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr wins race for Irish job

• 25-01-2003 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

The 49-year-old Dubliner with the midas management touch has U-20s won a prestigious four-nation tournament in the United Arab Emirates yesterday is the choice of the FAI chiefs to succeed Mick McCarthy for the top job in Irish sport, according to senior FAI sources.

The three-man selection committee reached consensus in a Warrington Hotel in Thursday night that Kerr is their number one choice to lead the Irish senior team through the remainder of the 2004 European Championships, and beyond.

...the Walkinstown wizard is expected to be contacted by the FAI today and summoned back to his home town to discuss contract terms. Assuming there are no 11th hour hitches, Kerr will be formally paraded as manager by Tuesday or Wednesday next.

Can't wait to see the squad he'll pick for the Scotland game. If Kilbane gets near it I'll go crazy....

Article here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D If true... :eek:

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Here's hoping the report is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I hope its true.

He deserves a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Could it be that the FAI are going to pick the best man for the job??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I wish him the best but I don't think he has the creds for the job. :(

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by G
    I'm sure he'll do well.

LETS ROCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

I just hope Kerr doesn't pick Kilbane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Kerr was the best choice for the job. Its rarely said, but fair play to the FAI!

I hope he can sort out our shamabolic defense. I can see him picking O'Shea and Staunton as the centre half's.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Guy Incognito

Originally posted by Xterminator
    I hope he can sort out our shamabolic defense. I can see him picking O'Shea and Staunton as the centre half's.

Staunton's retired now though. Wonder who he will play in defence.

He'll probably pick Cunningham and O'Shea. I doubt Breen has a chance especially after his brutal performance against Utd. His confidence is shot to pieces and I never rated him anyway. Cunningham is very reliable and was cosistently solid for Ireland until he got injured a couple seasons ago. O'Shea is the best centre-half Ireland have produced since McGrath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Kerr was the best man for the job, despite his lack of credentials. Im genuinely pleased for him. He's got an uphill struggle ahead of him, and if he doesnt deliver, then they'll be asking for his head very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

hope scotland hump ireland :D

suffice to say ill be donning my scotland colors and watching the match in some dublin bar though :)

win or lose = ill be getting pished regardless ;D

g'wan the scots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

best man got it :D
    €20 @50-1 thx God :D

I think he will approach Staunton to come back even just to hang around and train or somfin maybe a coaches role.
    Once O Reilly is with Kerr we be ok .

Well done to the FAI for having the balls to give it to him ,now for the papaers to shoot him down if we dont win games right away.

Also Stapleton is a wanker on Sky Sports News him a nd Ray Houghton bitching about FAI and Kerr getting job.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 reb

Kerr was bar far the best candidate of those interviewed.

I thought Troussier be good but the more i heard about him the more i turned off him.

How anyone could have suggested Robson, reid, Stapleton, Moran etc... over kerr is beyond me.

At least people haven't slagged off Kerr cos he irish in the usual manner. Anyone know how long his contract for? Since it be an amazing achievement to get us to 2004 now with a new manager surely he'll get a contract til 2006?

btw Houghton seems a vert astute choice as coach/assistant. He puts Setters & Evans to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Im delighted for kerr!! he's an irishman!!! he even said "this is the biggest job in the world" He knows what the irish expect and by god i think he'll deliver!!!

First of all the average age of the team will drop by bout 3 or 4 years with the influx of younger fitter players!!! Partridge and Quinn will finally get a look in!! as will o shea!! i'd say our central defence will be O' Shea and Dunne(doing well - lost loads of weight) as long as breen or O'brien doesnt play im happy!!!

He hasnt got the credentials - i agree but he has been in management since he was 15!!!!!

Come on the IRISH!!! Kerr rules!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep Kerr being chosen is excellent news. The FAI actually surprised me, I never thought they would have the balls to choose him.

Now if he drops Kevin Kilbane then I will be delighted :)

Gandalf.

(Breen can polish the lads shoes or cut the oranges into segments. Sure he'll be looking for a job soon :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by reb
    Anyone know how long his contract for? Since it be an amazing achievement to get us to 2004 now with a new manager surely he'll get a contract til 2006?

I read today that it's a 3 year contract, up until Germany 2006. I'm not expecting much for euro 2004, simply because there's a lot of ground to cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

he should of been picked from the start!!!! he'll bring the team places up with the big guns of soccer, nad this will be great for league of ireland players imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Was pleased to hear him say he will continue to attend eircom League matches. I would like to see him give Glen Crowe another chance against Scotland, move Duffer back to the wing and tell Kevin Kilbane to F*ckk off.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well I'll have no problems sleeping when they interview Kerr after the game. Hopefully the players won't be sleeping when he gives his team talk anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Waylander
    Was pleased to hear him say he will continue to attend eircom League matches. I would like to see him give Glen Crowe another chance against Scotland, move Duffer back to the wing and tell Kevin Kilbane to F*ckk off.

couldn't agree more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by G

And what Mick Mc Carthy Did? :o

Good luck to Brian glad to see an Irishman finally in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Jesus, whats all the stick for Kilbane. He's not the weakest link. My concerns would be Duff on the left (I think we can trust Brian on this one), and Morrison not getting a place, as he's only scored once this season, or something apalling like that, hasn't scored since September anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah Bateman even you should have realised that anytime Kilbane plays for Ireland he passes the ball to the opposition more times than he does to his own team mates :rolleyes:

Gandalf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

And what Mick Mc Carthy Did?
    No, he didn't. And now he's gone. What's your point?

**** sake, Kilbane controls the ball further than I can kick it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by G
    No, he didn't. And now he's gone. What's your point?

My Point is Thank God Mc Carthy is gone and we now have a proven winner at the helm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Kilbane can lose concentration, fair enough, his distribution leaves a lot to be desired, but in fairness McCarthy never blooded any competition for him, Partridge should and will be given his chance.

Advertisement