Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No-one Lives Forever

Options
  • 19-12-2000 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Anyone playing this. Very good fun, fps in the 60's with a spy theme, good pi$$take, most enjoyable smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Having played this through I have to agree with Shinji's sentiments that it's better than halflife. Which in my books makes it the best single player fps ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I got the demo off pc gamer and I agree that it's top notch, but how do you win the skydiving bit. It's **** hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You need to get in range of the bloke below with the chute, you'll hear Cate going 'mind if I borrow that?' when you're nearly there - keep going towards him until it fades to a cutscene of you landing while he plunges into a barn screaming 'please be full of hay, please be full of hay!!' smile.gif

Of course you have to fight off the other skydivers from above, let go of the movement keys while you aim at them cos if you don't you get the 'running and inaccurate' sight, bit strange while you're plunging to your doom anyway, but there you go smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

no dont agree it doesnt have a top quality feel to it as igi or half-life as yeh its a good game just not the best!

Draffodx
    Out of desparition courage is born

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I don't think much of this game, It's strictly in the "alright" category.
    The enemy AI is horrid and it feels like a brainless shooter. Nothing revoloutionary but still a good laugh all the same.

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I don't see your point about the enemy AI - I was very impressed by it, in fact. Like half-life, most of it is pre-scripted, fair enough; however, the basic behaviour of the enemies is VERY clever; no more of the stupid "guards watching each other die and not coming to look for you" stuff. In fact, its probably the best AI I've ever seen in an FPS; some of the later levels use it to great effect, and you really have to think your way through them, using distractions and proper stealth.

As for IGI having a "top-quality" feel, we must have been playing different games! smile.gif The one I played was a rush job that showed potential but needed at least another 6 months of work before it would realise it - diamond in the rough maybe, but it was still VERY bloody rough (yes, this was the final release version).

The scripted scenes are good, I'll give you that, funny from what I saw. But the enemies don't duck and dodge as they do in half life nor do they have a great aim.
    This is from playing the demo a few months ago now. I haven't actually played the ful game smile.gif

"Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

I was quite impressed by Project IGI actually but I have to agree with Shinji that it could've been more. It's still very enjoyable though. As for No One Lives Forever, it sounds good. Guess I'll have to get myself a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fidelis:
    But the enemies don't duck and dodge as they do in half life nor do they have a great aim.
    </font>

They do all that and more in the full game, plenty of dodging, kicking tables over and using them as cover and stuff - they're quite clever. They're also accurate and very trigger happy.

Bah, ignore my rantings so smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

S'okay Kev, we always do wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Love the intro,
    Real james bond,you get a bit of action then the bit with the terrible music and the siluetted dancers.

Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think this game is good

I can't get past the part where you are on the ship, and it is sinking, slowly. I seem to be trapped, with no way of getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oh please. NOLF was a sub standard FPS. I didn't even finish it, I got about 70% of the way through and got sick of the awkward physics, annoying weapons and awful awful attempts at humour, not to mention the atrocious animation in the cutscenes.

Doesn't hold a candle to Half Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Return of the living dead eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh I don't think it was aiming to best Half Life. It was just a quirky little shooter than offered something else. I loved it, thought it was great fun and a pretty decent shooter to boot!

........... now the second one I wasn't so fond of!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Holy old thread revival, batman. You should have started a new thread.

Great games. Loved the second one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So who wants to be the first to play then gathering card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

No one lives forever2 is even better ,theres not many games that give you so many weapons and gadgets ,with such great graphics and characters,its almost as good as half life 1.IF you are an fps fan get 1 and 2,if you can find them.

I can't get past the part where you are on the ship

LOL. That's exactly where I was stuck for a while! There's a way out somewhere, in the corridors if I remember correctly. It's not an obvious exit (at least it wasn't to me :D). I think it might be in the ceiling, not 100% sure though. Best of luck with it.

Having since completed the game, I have to say that I really enjoyed it apart from one thing, the cut-scenes. Can you skip them? Because for the love of God, I must have sat through about 2 or 3 hours or pointless dialogue that I couldn't skip, and which added nothing to the overall story!

Good game though! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Why would you want to skip the cutscenes? In fact - does anyone remember the little conversations you could overhear if you played stealthily;

like the merits of Mission Impossible vs The man from uncle based on their theme tunes,

Or the guy with the goat?!

It was a pain when you were repeating a stage of the game and you had to listen to the same 5 minutes of dialogue between Mr. Smith and Cate Archer. After the intial 30 seconds of mission info, the conversation would generally boil down to 4 minutes of stale insults between them, it was a bit much for me.

The dialogue between the enemies in-game was the different story, some of it was hilarious :D

Even the lead game designer thought the cut-scenes were too long :v:

I don't recall the goat though, where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

the guy with the goat is class, there you are listening through a door and this guy is saying "I have missed you for so long, i couldn't wait to hold you in my arms" and other mushy things, then when you open the door its a man and a goat in the room :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I've never playe NOLF1 but I loved NOLF2. A fine FPS with a sense of humour. Excellent stealth system. If I recall it even had a bit of RPG development going on with the ability to selectively upgrade your skills. It was quite a looker in its day too (and I'm not just talking about Cate Archer lol). This thread has put me in mind to seek out the first game and give it a bash - I'm sure it has hit the bargain bucket by now.

€12 delivered, from Play :)

Advertisement