Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

big angry thread....

Options
  • 25-01-2003 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

we all recall certain threads that have been put up recently regarding how ****e all the alt clubs in dublin are, and how they never play what we want them to play, and they keep playing the same tired old music week in week out? (check here for an example:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77998)

well last night, i went to the new club stay beautiful. and it was absolutely excellent music wise- i could hardly fault it.the dj's played pretty much any requests asked for. but it was not a good 'club' because they had very little support. personally, the venue didnt help (the basement of the temple).

im not giving out about people who have other things on, or can't come at the last minute, but what drives me mad, is that i remember so many threads and posts giving out about how boring all the alt clubs are getting, and people asking where was a good club to go? so we had a new club last night that promised excellent music (and it delivered) and where were these people who were dying to try something new? no where to be found.

how can we excpect to have decent alt clubs if there's not enough support? they'll never get off the ground, and we're back to square one...people complaining about the lack of good alt clubs out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I have to agree with you on this one drowner. And it's not as if it was expensive to get in either. Most alternative clubs are between 6 and 10 Euro to get in...this one was 5 Euro/4 with a flyer and the music was really good.
    I reckon Eyeliner_Boy deserves a pat on the back for last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

firstly, in my defence, i have two essays to do, so i can't be going out ... well, at all. but anyway, the same thing happened with button moon. absolutely amazing music, but there was something missing (apart from people, the place was nearly always empty) ... same thing with that jedi night in doyles and in DA2 (whatever happened to that night, anyway?). i kept going to both nights, but stopped after a while, because it's not much fun when there's nobody else there. i dunno ... there's obviously a market (as the drowner showed us), perhaps it's just not properly advertised ... also, i think the venue is an important thing: button moon was on in the top floor of frazers (i think) and it was just a horrible horribly depressing place. and stay beautiful is in the basement of the temple? do more suitable, nicer venues charge too much? or will they not stage something as 'risque' as a club which would dare to stray from the tried-and-tested formula? probably

re: stay beautiful. what sort of music did they play on the night? and when is it on (weekly, monthly, or was it just a one-off?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

yeah those dj's for doyles jedi night played class & diverse alternative music to the usual indie joints but it was a
    wednesday night which makes it hard to pull in the numbers.

I'd loved to have gone to that place last night even though
    the temple isn't a good spot but none of my mates are into those kinda clubs. I tried to persuade but i failed. I would have guessed
    the attendance to be disappointing anyway....new club, bad
    location.

For any club like that to be a success they'd need to pick a
    weekend night AND a more central location AND back it up with
    lots of promotion & ads AND stick to it for several weeks/months to help it become established

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Cheers to sandi and the Drowner for coming to the club, its was pretty good both me and deco(eyeliner boy) had a good time......kinda....I'm sick of people saying there is no good clubs when people will not try new ones, just keep going to the same old same old.
    we just wanna do some thing different, mix it all up and see what people like.
    we had problems with people dropping out and so had a not as good a blend of various music types.
    the plan is to do it again next month, the last friday.
    why we use this venue.....its the cheapest and the people whos gear we used were very helpful, ya know fair fu-cks for doing it etc.
    and the temple aint that far from o'connell street so fu-ck all this central location crap, the sound was grand, the place is not too small, get 150/200 in there, beats stinky dorans any day,
    ah im rambling now, so i'll stop............

so last Friday of February is the plan for the mo' but I will keep ya posted.

All Hail the New Flesh!

seriously i'd have no problem strollin up that end of town
    when the club's music appeals so much but when you're sittin in a bar on the south of the river and midnight approaches most
    people don't look or wander past the dozens of clubs and late bars between the river and canal. not easy to persuade a gang of people to try a new club up the other end but every little group helps and you have a thumbs up from me for your efforts,
    i'll make a more prepared one next time.
    i really do like the sound of this dj set though, all my kinda music,
    the 80's to rock to alternative, bang on for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

i did want to go to this but i had something else on...i do think the location puts a lot of people off though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

locationis a put off until oyu actually go up there;then you realise you wont get maimed/robbed.that its NOT far away.

its not a great venue; but with loadsa ppl and great music - anywhere is great!blame it on the venue for not going?or balme it on yourself for being moany and not WILLING to try new stuff.

what time did it shut at on friday?

i was at sindrome and it shut very early.

the fact that the music is so wide and varying-yet gelled together is better than...a certain other place -WHOS NAME WOULD OFFEND ME AND STAY BEAUTIFUL.

we've all gone there;only to realise that it sucks once youve paid in!I think id like to do a 30 min dj slot next time...

a bit of death metal to warm us up...then slayer....then the pixies and frames*ME ROSY RED HOLE!!!:D *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Yeah, I agree with Tony...u can't really use the location as an excuse. It's only a few minutes away from the Ambassador. The Voodoo Lounge however, that's a different story. Nearly a 15 minute walk down the quays...not nice when it's cold and rainy.
    Come on people! All do your best to check out this club the next time it's on, it was cool and it's cheaper than most clubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

firstly, in my defence, i have two essays to do, so i can't be going out ... well, at all

i did say at the start of my post that i wasnt giving out about people who have other things on or somehting comes up at the last minute

but none of my mates are into those kinda clubs. I tried to persuade but i failed.

i had the same problem a while ago. so i made some new friends. (i met some of them off the message board, some of them through friends-be careful meeting people off the internet. you end up meeting people like sandi and silverfish and once you attach yourself to them you stuck with them for life*)

it's a bit daunting at first, but you either stay at home and sit out things you enjoy, or else you make the effort to get to know new people who are into that kind of thing. (i dont mean for you to take this personally knobbles!!!! i'm just kind of giving out advice to anyone who's is in that situation and would like to get out of it. and im a busybody)

with regards to the location, you would get away with using a not-so-appealing place if you had the crowds, but if u havent got either, it really doesn't help. im sure we've all been to the music centre for clubs where there's no one up on the dancefloor and it's **** and youre thinking...this is way too big a place for this kind of thing. and then there are nights when it is fuller, and its a great place to be (where u can feel inconspicuous and dance without being seen ;))

o sleep-the music was excellent (well, it was perfectly to my taste anyway). some of the tunes i can remember were motorcycle emptiness-manics, personal jesus-johnny cash, the cure, the smiths (my own request!), (feck. my memory is failing me. you'll have to excsue me). anyway, that's an example-i'm sure someone will fill the rest in

*only jokin. i loves ya really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

you end up meeting people like sandi and silverfish and once you attach yourself to them you stuck with them for life

I don't need this info getting out. I'm tough and have no time for people, me. :p

I think this all gets back to a thread I vaguely remember for ages ago, which was someone saying they had no-one to go places with......I had that problem all the time, but I met people off the messageboard, most at the Phub crawl, and its been great.

Its very daunting going somewhere when you don't know anyone (speaking from experience, I've gone to more gigs on my own than I care to count).

But we're all friendly people here (except johnnynotfriendly) and easy to get on with (except johnnycan'tgetonwithanyone) so I think another pub crawl / pub sit-and-get-drunk thingie is in order, cos I do see this complaint coming up a bit, and its a good place to meet people you know are into the same type of stuff as you.

Oh yeah, and I'll be at the next Stay Beautiful with my special bells on. (Stategically placed, mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yeah that thread bout having no one to go to gigs with was mine hehehe!

Well i guess things have changed in that regard the Phirst Phub Crawl was a great event in that regard and i second that motion silverfish RE: another drunken day of drunkennessessess......

Should have gone to stay beautiful but a certain Raggamuffin who shall remain nameless decided not to tell me that the gig i was meant to be going to before hand was cancelled therefore i was not in the position to go

I do apologise and i shall make my presence felt in future

I've only been to Whelans once and didnt like so havent gone back. Now i go to the Oak on Dame Street coz im always guaranteed good music and a good crowd so yeah..... The Oak

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

RIGHT THEN!!!!

I have a plan so cunning....its as cunning as a fox that's just been elected professor of cunning at Oxford University......

On the next night of Stay Beautiful, Why Don't We All:

1) Meet In the Oak at a certain time

2) get merry

3) Stumble up to Stay Beautiful

4) Get mangled

5) Swear the person we met three minutes ago on the way to the toilets is out besht friend in de whoooole worrld

This applies to all posters whether we know each other or not.

So now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

What a thoroughly ingenious plan! Count me in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yay im all up for drunken shennannigans and staying beautiful!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Originally posted by Silverfish

I have a plan so cunning....its as cunning as a fox that's just been elected professor of cunning at Oxford University......

Wibble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

i ntroduced ya to the oak.

anyway the oak is only good late after 10 or 11...
    so i don't know.

but you don't have to wait until stay beautiful to goto the oak.

i'm digging this plan...the oak;all get acquainted and merry,then on for some fine muzique!!

you fine dogsbody,silverfish,i like the cut of your jib

*i've no idea what that means and if thats not a good thing,then sorry*

blackadder!!! im going to change my sig now for a black adder quote

baldrick,do you have any idea what irony is?

yeah;its like goldy and bronzey,but made of iron

well an empty dancefloor wouldn't stop me if the music was
    right, i feel more of a twat dancin on a packed dancefloor to
    bubblepop music in places like Qbar, all u can do is take the p|ss.
    i've lost count of the number of gigs i've gone solo to as well,
    but it doesn't bother me at all. goin to crap clubs every week is a drag though, and i'd have no probs seein y'all there if Stay B went ahead again. Yes, the thought does freak me a little!!!
    ;)

• Advertisement

don't worry knobbles, we'll turn the smoke machine on to haide your shame.....as it hid mine....:b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

Hey drowner sorry didnt go the other nite-location did put me off but rumor has it that next time the location will be something less dangerous like the T.B.M.C.........and then i will get my lazy ass to go!!!!!!!!!!!

also Silverfish your plan sounds good!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by rapture_queen
    Hey drowner sorry didnt go the other nite-location did put me off but rumor has it that next time the location will be something less dangerous like the T.B.M.C.........and then i will get my lazy ass to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Pah! thats crap, it would cost a few grand to pull that off.
    and the location is grand, God damn pussys, the only bad part is the walk down o'connell street, no worse than down between georges street and da2/whelans.....i've have more ****s start on me there than any where else...... and temple bar is full of drunk brits and dealers a lot of the time at night.

:rolleyes:

what time did it shut at on firday?

last orders half 12, music off after one-ish.....

no altering that?
    anyway,its quality is better than the quantity of muck at other venues...again,no mention of the unholy place,for t'will taint the staY BEATUIFUL name
    niall
    who's panzer attack?

Nope as far as i know.
    panzer attack is ste, why do you ask?

didn't know who panzer was,obviously.

raging speed horn this firday...and copius amts of dutch weed....and bavaria cos im too poor for any else...green bavaria...chewy and yummy

niall...must find an aftershock promo soon...cos im not doling out E40 for a btl big love and sweet dreams tony2tone!

im sooo cheeky and sleepy

well it looks to me like the venue is putting some people off...
    i wouldnt mind it so much if it was fuller
    and the fact that the music stopped so early was a bit pants 2 (but thats the problem of the club, not yours)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

i think it's more the location of the venue, than the venue itself to be honest...why dont they try kennedys in Westland row..there used be a good alternative 80's club but it disappeared for sum reason..

Advertisement