Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defend Iraq!

Options
2»

Comments

Victor - actually i'm saying they shouldn't be going in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

on a practical level he has little hope in any form of conventional war, but presumably they learnt this the hard way last time , if i was he ..i'd be mining every patch of desert i could , hiding lots of special forces types all over , booby trapping everything near the oil fields, painting hospital signs on every building and training snipers for urban warfare.

the US are fully confident of Gulf War 2 , Sadam may not oblige.

I suspect that the iraqi's themselves believe this to be an invasion over oil , that should motivate more of them than before and they now know what to expect from long range bombers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Actually the more I think about this then I am of the opinion that Saddam will trash his oilfields like he did to those in Kuwait if he's attacked.

I reckon he will use the Tigris and Euphrates rivers as delivery vehicles for the Natural WMD that he has Oil. Flood the Persian Gulf with the biggest natural disaster it has ever seen with millions of barrels of oil (and then light it!).

It took 9 months to quell the fires in Kuwait with all the worlds oil well firefighters in quite a small area. Remember that Iraqs oilfields are spread out so it would take alot more resources to sort out that issue if Saddam realises that his number is up.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by growler
    on a practical level he has little hope in any form of conventional war

I think if he plays it right, using conventional means he could give the Blair/Bush Axis some serious trouble.

Firstly, don't spend anymore money on air defens(c)e. In this case it is a waste. SAM's can only shoot what they can see and they can't see F117s. Besides whatever he buys will be gone in a week anyway.

Secondly, stay away from open spaces, the axis technology works best in the open. The Abrahms (and to a certain extent challenger) tank fire control systems make them almost unbeatable in open warfare. The APFSDS rounds used by the Americans & British have a very long effective range against Iraqi tanks. The Iraqi tanks would need to be much closer to get though the American & British superior armour.

Thirdly, DO NOT USE CHEMICAL OR BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS, this will only piss them off.

If I had to fight this war on the Iraqi side I would move all my troops in built up areas. I would put my tanks in the basements of schools, hospitals & any other building that would look good as smoking rubble on SKY news. Iraqi tanks would have no problem putting a hole in an M1 at 40 feet.If they wanted to take my country I would make them fight for every foot. The Americans do not like to see there sons and daughters come home in body bags.

Before anyone flames me, I am just answering the question.

MrPudding - i don't see anything you've said that deserves flaming.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by MrPudding
    Secondly, stay away from open spaces, the axis technology works best in the open.
    Axis?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by gandalf
    Actually the more I think about this then I am of the opinion that Saddam will trash his oilfields like he did to those in Kuwait if he's attacked.

Alternately, he could trash his neighbours, and then point out to the world that the next thing he will do is trash his own if things dont get done his way.

Someone will then do the math and realise that if Saddam does this, then even if Venuzuela was on full production, there would be a world shortage of oil.

End result...the US may be forced to back out of Iraq, explicitly so that Saddam can keep his own fields producing...

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I dont think he has the capability to trash his nieghbours that would most likely require an active airforce which will probally sit the war out in a neutral country such as iran again.He certainly wouldnt expose his armour to a land rush.

I think he is more likely to fire a couple of his own large oilwells at the begining of the airwar and blame the americans and try to persuade the Russians and French to intercede at the UN to force a ceasefire on enviromental or humanitarian grounds.

Advertisement