Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park - Open its doors to evil soccer ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Aindriu

No way should croke park be opened to Soccer.

Soccer and Rugby need a home of their own. It isnt going to work, matches will run into each other. Its a completely DAFT and stupid idea.

Build at least 65,000 - 80,000 out in Abbotstown. There going ahead with that motorway upgrade now anyway.

Bus everyone out on coachs from the city centre.

Once the GAA gets the hotel up and running and get the rest of the Cash from the government there will be no need to let in Soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Aindriu
    No way should croke park be opened to Soccer.

Soccer and Rugby need a home of their own. It isnt going to work, matches will run into each other. Its a completely DAFT and stupid idea.

Build at least 65,000 - 80,000 out in Abbotstown. There going ahead with that motorway upgrade now anyway.

So spend hundreds of millions on a stadium while our economy is falling and there is a perfectly good stadium PART funded by the tax payer.

Thats a very synical view Aindriu, this is our national side we'r talking about not just some football team.

Imposter the national teams don't play too many games and there always well planned in advance years normally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hungry Farmers. Shoot the GAA Board!

So spend hundreds of millions on a stadium while our economy is falling and there is a perfectly good stadium PART funded by the tax payer.

yeah spend the money, why should soccer and rugby be the poor man of sport?????????????

DONT OPEN CROKE PARK TO OTHER GAMES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it doesnt make one ounce of sense. build the second stadium, ireland needs AT LEAST TWO STADIA IN THE COUNTRY !!!!!!!!

Cork and Galway could even do with 40,000 stadia each!!!.

lets sort this mess out and build them !
    The problem is construction costs !! you can build 7 stadia in Portugal for 1 here !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

Thats your opinion Aindriu and your intitled to it but I think its a minority that think your way, so I'm afraid you'l have to live up to the reality it will happen

Anyway you haven't given any valid points as to why American football and concerts are allowed but not soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm all for Croke Park to be opened not just to soccer tho.

***, imo the GAA are still stuck in the past.

other sports playing in Croker can only be a good thing in the long run....financially moreso than anything.

Aindriu, yes I agree we need at least 2 top class stadi but for the foreseeable future we are consigned to not having another one built.

the GAA are crippled with dept for Croker atm.
    Ticket prices are all up this year [€50 for Sunday]

With the income from other sports, the stadum load will be paid off and they wont need the outstanding money from the Government [which would leave that money to be used elsewhere IFFF it ever became available!]

thread stuck.

FLY THE PORTUGESE IN AND BUILD THE NEW 65,000 IN ABBOTSTOWN

IF THAT SPANISH DUDE CAN BUILD A CHEAP METRO WE CAN GET THE PORTUGESE TO DO THE SAME WITH THE STADIUM

->Set up a scheme to pay for it over 20 years,
    ->Build a huge Hotel beside it to help pay for it,
    ->Soccer and Ruby NEED their own stadium, what about the FAI and developing that league????????????????

Arsenal is only spending £90 million on a stadium, whats this madness about using GAA grounds. Let the GAA stay in the last Century, build the new stadium to help develop Rugby and Soccer in this country so we have a CHANCE OF WINNING SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE CANT ALWAYS KEEP LOOSING !!!!!!!!!

WE ARENT LIVING IN BANG LA DESH !!!!!
    IRAN HAVE A BETTER STADIUM!!!!!!!
    AHHHHH IM SO ANGRY :mad:

Soccer and Ruby NEED their own stadium, what about the FAI and developing that league????????????????

give me one good reason [two when you calm down :)] just why Rugby and soccer NEED their own stadium when sharing Croker makes better sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

If the GAA had a valid reason for not allowing soccer to be played at Croke, I'd be happy enough. But they don't. Their reasoning is "We're not allowing foreign sports to be played here". To me, it's pure racism, and shouldn't be tolerated by the government.

Anyone who suggets the Irish soccer team wouldn't be well-supported at Croke needs their head examined. They filled it for the Special Olympics, and no offence to handicapped people, but soccer is far better supported here than that.

You don't hear the Brazilian public complaining that soccer is an English game when they're picking up all their trophys, do you? To me, soccer is a medium for standing up as a nation, not bending the knee to foreigners. Other nations don't have a problem - why do we?

If the GAA had a valid reason for not allowing soccer to be played at Croke, I'd be happy enough. But they don't

exactly....stupid skoolground pigheaded-ness is all.

It's frickin' rampant in the GAA thesedays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

mohammad ALI had a boxing match in croker according to the tour guide in croke park.

I dont see what a considerable minority of GAA fans have against soccer. The two sports are incomparable i have two friends who ramble on about how GAA players train harder than soccer players and do it without pay unlike soccer players. Soccer is a major international sport whilst GAA is a national amateur sport the two are incomparable and are certainly not in competition with each other

In most countries in the world all sports can share a stadium like when the NFL allowed the giants stadium to be used for the world cup 94.Aussie rules and soccer also share stadiums. I dont understand why ireland has to be the exception.

Think of all the money the GAA could make if they allowed soccer to be played in croker. They could also use international soccer matches from a marketing point of view to promote Gaelic football and hurling.

I'VE NOTHING AGAINST FOREIGNERS PLAYIN IN CROKE PARK, ITS THE LACK OF A 2ND +3RD STADIA THATS BUGGIN ME!!!!

1 REASON -> WE HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF HOLDING INTERNATIONAL EVENTS WITH TWO STADIA

2 RESONS -> THE DATES OF ALL THREE SPORTS WILL CLASH, WE HAD PROBLEMS JUGGLING FOOTBALL AND RUGBY AGUS WHAT ABOUT CAMBOGIE? THE GIRLS HAVE TO PLAY AS WELL!

3 REASONS->GAA WILL HAVE CASH FLOW ONCE THEY GET THEIR HOTEL UP AND RUNNING, SO PRESSURE WILL BE LIFTED

4 REASONS->GOVERNMENT OWES GAA €A$H, PAY THAT AND THEY CAN FINISH THE PLACE!

5 REASON->WEAR AND TEAR ON THE PITCH WILL CAUSE DAMAGE

HOW IS IT GOING TO HAPPEN ??????? IT HASNT HAPPENED !!!!! IT WONT !!

RUGBY NEED A STADIUM AND SOCCER BECUASE THEY NEED MONEY TO DEVELOP THEIR GAME, GOVERNMENT BUILD A STADIUM AND PAID FOR, = GATE RECEIPTS + GOING BACK INTO BOTH GAMES, KEEPING KIDS UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY OF THE STREET, ANOTHER OPTION FOR KIDS IN HOUSING ESTATES THAT NOT DRINKING BEER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE MONEY INTO SPORTS = BETTER CHANCE AT WINNING STUFF = LIFTS THE NATION,

i couldnt READ THE LAST TWO PAGES BECUASE OF ALL THE CRAZY PEOPLE AND THIER POSTS !

i couldnt READ THE LAST TWO PAGES BECUASE OF ALL THE CRAZY PEOPLE AND THIER POSTS !

Well if you stopped writing silly posts in such big writing we might read yours.

I don't think anyone would say they don't want a new stadium, but why now why build now at this present moment when croke park is there??

And Aindriu the Government owe the GAA Nothing you hear me NOTHING.

They gave them far too much money in my opinion, WHEN they open the doors to our national sides then maybe the Government will give the GAA more money.

If you think a hotel is going to make that much money your sadly mistaken I bet 4 international games would bring in more money than the hotel will make in a year.

Aindriu your getting too angry to see the argument, maybe if you calm down a bit you might realise how childish it is to ban soccer and rugby.

I dont care if the government give the GAA cash or not.

This is about Soccer and Rugby !

If we didnt live in such a banana republic we could have 7 stadia instead of the bertie bowl!

Its planning laws, and no competion in building contracts, like i said i have nothing against soccer being played in Croke park just look at portugal!

Why now? we should already have stadia, Sell landsdown off and reinvest the cash in to the new stadium, it can be built for €300.

The posts arent stupid, putting 3 sports into one venue is! What about Communitee Games where are they being played ? in some sh1ty field in Meath.

Ill put it like this, sooner or later another stadium will have to be built, 65,000 will do but they will say that its a little small, 80,000 is required. Why hang around ?

Originally posted by irish1
    Well if you stopped writing silly posts in such big writing we might read yours.

I was referring to your style of writing not the content, your intitled to your opinion like anyone else.

and as for WHY NOW, because we don't have anything else thats why, you can argue how many stadiums you want where you want and how you want them built in an other Thread this thread is about:Croak Park - Open its doors to evil soccer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Sorry, but I can't let this go unsaid. I have considered that "Croak" Park might be your pet name for it, but it seems very unlikely. I can't see how you didn't notice that everyone else spells it differently to you. As moderator of the GAA board, you should know that it is spelt Croke Park.
    Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    C.R.O.K.E
    Originally posted by Alany
    what are you on about ?

This is what he is on about:

Croak Park - Open its doors to evil soccer ?

Or Croaker to the lay people

I really wouldn’t consider Croakers location ever to be a big factor

Croak park have invested in some ground keeping techonogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There are allegedley 27 stadiums in the world capable of holding the world cup final. Croke Park is one of them.
    Twas on an article that i cant link to atm but they laid out certain criteria in terms of capacity, corp boxes ,pitch , and somfin else.

Also in the article was how many stadiums could hold CL and euro finals again Croker was in it.

The stadium is simply amazing but rules within the GAA are the rules. Would like to see it happen but would prefer if there was another stadium designed for Football rather than using Rugby and GAA pitches.

kdjac

I'l spell it right when they open the gates! lol

Sorry wasn't deliberate.

no one here has made any good points as to not going ahead and building a new stadium for Ruby/Soccer. Croke Park is a great stadium but we need at LEAST 2 !!

no one here has made any good points as to not going ahead and building a new stadium for Ruby/Soccer. Croke Park is a great stadium but we need at LEAST 2 !!

Originally posted by irish1
    and as for WHY NOW, because we don't have anything else thats why, you can argue how many stadiums you want where you want and how you want them built in an other Thread this thread is about:Croke Park - Open its doors to evil soccer ?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

completely off topic Aindriu.
    this thread, as already stated by irish1, is to debate the opening of Croke Park to other sports.

[offtopic]anyway, why the **** should we taxpayers be forking out millions of €€ for a new stadium when we all it would take is a private contractor to buy a prime piece of land [maybe from the government?] and build a damn stadium.[/end offtopic]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Colm thanks for pointing out what IgnatiusJRiley was talking about. However if he posts again like that I will ban him for a week.

I dont have a problem with spelling corrections ( I know i spell things wrong all the time) but he should have expalined himself.

Also Aindriu Irish 1 seems to be correct, you are loosing sight of the initial subject. As a GAA board we dont wish to discuss Irelands non GAA stadiums ( or lack of )

anywho...back on topic please.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    To me, soccer is a medium for standing up as a nation, not bending the knee to foreigners. Other nations don't have a problem - why do we?

1.not many other nations have a national game(s) like us with such a heritage.
    2.Does anyone know if soccer was ever played in Twickenham?
    3.Would rugby damage the new super pitch or would it tear the legs off the lads when their rolling around on the ground like they spend most of the match
    4.Read in the "irish" sun today(so its prob lies!) that croker are considering putting in flood lights.....does that mean that soccer is on its way?

the flood lights dont mean anything

several gaa grounds have flood lights and there were some games this year on a trial. They were a massive sucess.
    personally I would love to go to a monday night game or a saterday night game.

Its worked for ruggers and soccer too. the GAA are just a little slow to catch on is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yes i have played under flood lights myself a number of times in both gaelic and soccer,although soccer was just 7-a-side stuff.

just thought that the flood lights thing would be an added incentive for the pro soccers to say they should be let use croker.Aslo big gaelic games nder floodlights could be very interesting,would pretty much revolutionise the game,prob would suit tv companies etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I think it is coming. I think Harney has beaten Bertie on this one (b!tch). Things are moving towards

- Croke Park (and probably the Provincial Grounds) opening up

- the GAA to get the remaining 38m

- Lansdowne to get a comparable amount to redevelop it

- patients still to remain on hospital trolleys !

Sean Kelly is driving this, and it will be interesting to see the motions that will come forward next April.

People shouldn't forget that Congress came with one third of a percent (officially) to opening up Croke Park a few years ago, when Bertie gave the 60m.

I totally agree Mumba...heres hoping...I was in croke park last night for a conferance and I was just looking out thinking imagine the atmosphear for an international soccer match would be 100 times that of boring boring landsdown...

But the flood lights dont mean anything... maybe kelly is very clever and knows the investment in lights will help his soccer case ..but for now, They dont mean all too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Alany
    I totally agree Mumba...heres hoping...I was in croke park last night for a conferance and I was just looking out thinking imagine the atmosphear for an international soccer match would be 100 times that of boring boring landsdown...
    Ok this is off-topic but why and how would it create a better atmosphere? Surely its the actual fans that create the stmosphere. Granted there'd be more fans but if they are like the ones in Landsdowne 80,000 like that would create an eerie silence!

i dont know what it is about Landsdown road...but it thinks its more than the fans
    Croker has great accoustics ...and I think with 80,000 fans there will be less "West stand" type fans creating the silence of Landsdown road.

then agian maybe its just irish soccer and Irish soccer fans...and maybe itwould be a horrible silence ?? only one way to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Imposter, I absolutely agree that the people make the atmosphere. Landsdowne when full (and the fans are up for it) can have a brilliant atmosphere. Unfortunately, a lot of the tickets are going to the suits, but has changed a bit since Fran Rooney took over. But it is the people who make it.

Advertisement