Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name & Shame on For Sale?

• 25-01-2003 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

I have an idea that might be of some use on the For Sale board.

You need to get the background first, read all of this thread.

He's agreed to my offer for the camcorder on boards, and through email.

So we arrange to meet, outside Easons on O'Connell Street @ 2pm today.

I make my way into town with 200 euro and the voucher for a days racing in Mondello he agreed to take for the camcorder and the guy isn't there, so I call the phone number he left in an email, (the one arranging the meet outside easons), and he answers :-

"Yea, the thing is I'm going to Austrailia tomorrow and I can't sell on that voucher, will you give me cash for it instead?", he says unenthusiastically.

I'm standing outside EASONS on a Saturday, when I've had 3 hours sleep, (got in @ 8:30 this morning, slept till 12 noon), and 'bobthebuilder' is fapping around his house with no intention of meeting me at all. Nothing, no email to tell me he wasn't interested anymore and wasn't gonna show, no post to boards, no pm, no phone call, nothing.

I don't mind not getting the camcorder, I don't mind him asking for the cash instead of the voucher, I don't even mind that I got out of bed after 3 hours sleep, (I got a great brekkie in town! :)). What I do mind was the fact this bloke posted on the For Sale board and perhaps didn't get exactly what he wanted, proceded to organise a sale ANYWAY, didn't show to the meet... and then, to add further insult, was completely ignorant and downright rude on the phone. (hung up on me halfway through the conversation).

Anyway, that's the deal...

My idea is for a 'Name & Shame' sticky on the For Sale board.

This will consist of the nicknames of boards users who simply can't be trusted in one way or another to make a For Sale transaction actually happen.

What do ye all think? Would it be a worthwhile thread for people who are buying and/or selling on boards to read?

All replies, comment, opinion welcome :)

Luc

Name & Shame Sticky Thread on the For Sale board 50 votes

Good Idea!
    0% 0 votes
    Bad Idea!
    90% 45 votes
    Atari Jaguar!
    10% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Good idea, but will have to be moderated very harshly me thinks.
    The amount of stupid bids etc. leads me to belive that it would be abused severly.
    Any nominations for it should really be approved my the mods before being made public.

Dunno but could there be some slander type thing by saying dont buy miniciscs off discostu, he does not put the optical cable in(its going in the post on monday morning theciscokid :))?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What a bummer! Sorry to hear that Luc. So many inaccuracies in what that guy was saying "Im off in two weeks" - 30th Jan, "I'm off in one week"- 24th Jan "I'm off to Oz tomorrow" - 26th Jan. Maybe I'm being too anal.

Anyway, the point: I think if anyone is named or shamed they would just create a new login wouldn't they? It may seem that the nick disappeared/stopped using boards, but the disappearance would lead to new emergances surely.

I wonder if that cam was killed in any special religious way.*

*not halal

__edit__
    In fact hang on...
    bobthebuilder's posts are three as far as I see:
    1: Computer components
    2: 2 Monitors
    3: Camcorder

Sounds like the goods were robbed from an artistic type of person's house. Someone that edits movies and sound to me. 2 monitors you say? Interesting.

Did bob steal them himself or did he buy them from a junkie?

Hey bob - did you steal my Canon DVcam and completely mistake my spanking new Apple computer to be worth more than my cheap ****ty TV?! If so I have your fingerprint!

(some people may think that the thief was in fact correct in taking the TV instead of the iMac! I say ya boo sux to you I love my iMac!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Would it be possible to reintroduce karma for the Classifieds section only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Endorse-ified.

Even though everything I've bought from the For Sale board has been trouble free :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah do it, and I nominate Gunn4r for pre-emptive shaming when he puts up yet another piece of $hite for sale then closes the thread and says 'oh my mate bought it for five gold bars actually so nyah nyah nyah!!' :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Good idea, but a little tricky to implement. For a start, the thread would need to be locked, and only posted to by the mod(s).

I guess if someone wants to get a user added, they could email or PM the mod with an outline of the problems, and point to a relevant thread. The only problem is that the other party should probably be given a chance to defend themselves, and they'll probably give a sob story. An awful lot of it will be up to the discretion of the mod. Judge Mod. :)

I still think it's a good idea though, it's really up to the mods whether they'll have the time and energy to deal with it, and up to those Admin losers whether they're willing to give a mod the extra "power".

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

if you do it, you may need a couple more mods to help with all the extra pm'ing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Could be like the Seller ratings on Ebay.
    Dont know how we could implement it though.

I've bought 2 things off peeps on boards.
    One positive, one mediocre experience. I'd gladly like to praise one indivdual and then make people weary of another.

The idea is good - I'd imagine the only barrier to it, is it would need some coding outside of the exisiting vbulletin setup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Hopefully im the one who gets the praise 80p ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Indeed Simon :)

I've since upgraded myself but I gave that phone to my sister and its still working like a charm !!

And it was a bargain too !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

It's a good enough idea in theory I suppose. To be honest, the amount of bullshít I've had to put up with when trying to sell things is unbelievable. Thankfully I've never been ripped off, but only because I don't send the goods first. Extreme procrastination and generally being a lazy inconsiderate shíte seems to be a trademark of many who dwell on the For Sale board.

And you know who you are, fúckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Not a bad idea, but you'd want to be very careful or boards could find itself slapped with many a solicitors letter. Do you really want to arbitrate disputes between third parties ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

how about reporting any dodgy clients to the mods/admins. LEt them invstigate and ban any sh!ts than are taking the pi$$ from the board. There are a few around that I am tempted to give marching orders to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

If you do that, you'll have to have a second sticky for all the sales that go well.

No point in having a list of unreliables without a list of reliables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gets 12 thumbs up from me.....
    Good idea, but a little tricky to implement. For a start, the thread would need to be locked, and only posted to by the mod(s).
    I guess if someone wants to get a user added, they could email or PM the mod with an outline of the problems, and point to a relevant thread. The only problem is that the other party should probably be given a chance to defend themselves, and they'll probably give a sob story. An awful lot of it will be up to the discretion of the mod. Judge Mod.

Maybe if there are 4 or 5 other mods who deal with the schtuff (I volunteer). At the top of the thread you have "If you wish to have someone added to this list, PM xxxx, or xxxx, or........., with as much detail as you can supply about the problem, and they will decide whether your grievance is valid."

E.g. - Someone has a problem, they PM me with the details, and any proof, if possible. I then PM the accused and get their side of the story, and make a judgement. If I think the accused is 'guilty', I PM Blade or Keeks with the details, and they add it to the sticky thread. A lot of hassle, but it may help avoid the for sale mods being singled out and accused of favouritism. Cases where the accused is admant can be taken to an Admin (via the Mod who dealt with it) to make the ultimate judgement. Just like most things, it could work quite smoothly with a little bit of effort to control it (effort which I'd happily volunteer :))
    No point in having a list of unreliables without a list of reliables.

That too. An open list where anyone can post (obviously quoting the thread where the item was sold, and any other nice comments :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Reminds me of the time I was meant to sell something to someone here, but ended up waiting in town for what must have been hours. And still nothing. My whole evening was wasted :(

This new thing will be a bit Judge Judy-esque, non?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Loads of things get bought and sold on the For Sale/wanted boards with no problems.

Yet there is a thread once a month written by someone who had a problem and now has a master plan to "make the For Sale/Wanted work"

I think there should be a ban on people whinging on about For Sale/Wanted on Admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sorry to hear about the hassle Luctus but at least no money exchanged hands before you discovered the muppetry.

I'd like to give it a thumbs up but I won't. Originally voted yes but reconsidered after further thought. (so remove 1 from Yes and add it to No) The idea of Naming and Shaming is nice but on a bulletin board it is very open to abuse and would only work in limited cases.

I wouldn't buy anything off boards from someone who wasn't an "established member" or hasn't a history on for sale.

The only big problem is that if someone screws another member of boards over on For Sale then more than likely they'll end up getting banned. Either that or they'll end up changing Nicks themselves anyway.

This kind of system only works on eBay where members really rely on a good record to entice buyers.

It would also be open to a lot of abuse from people deliberately trying to get another member blacklisted. It woul;d have to be run by a Mod and investigated very carefully. Ultimately it would probably end up with complaints about wrongful blacklisting, the inevitable complaints about the complaints and it would all spiral out of control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think there should be a ban on people that complain about people complaining about the For Sale / Wanted forum. Especially ones that like cake and have ongoing difficulties with their pants.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Would it be possible to have a profile on everyone like on ebay -so that when they have sold something to someone, the other person has commented on how fast the sale was, if they are reliable, quality of product ect ect. Maybe have a "euro sign disintigrating" beside a bad seller's name? Just a thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lo all,

Thanks for the replies.

After having a good think about the 'logistics' of a name & shame thread, I reckon it's a bad idea, way too much moderator/admin overhead to maintain.

A karma-like system for the Classifieds section of Boards may be a runner, but would also have to be specced out and coded, requires some more thinking about.

On a semi-related note, it turns out 'bobthebuilder' never went to austrailia after all. His IP led straight back to DCU, where I assume, he's happily sitting behind a monitor laughin' at meh!

All I can do is ban him, so that's done.

Luc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You should have assimilated him. Borg style. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ideally its a nice idea, so was communism but in practice...well to much work involved.

I have sold a fair few things on the for sale board hassle free, sat down with the buyer for pints and coffee :).

that said I have also been very interested in buying things off peeps and said I would, then somthing came up etc.

Sorry Bug, hope that comment wasnt in relation to me and your gfx card :)

On two occasions I was given what I was looking for, so there was no need to buy.

Ive also had threads where people 10 people said they would buy and not one of them got back to me.

Unfortunatlely these things are going to happen, Is it possible to bring back the kama system purely for the FS board?

Sorry to hear what happened to ya Luc, but **** happens as we all know :(

The beauty of a system like eBay's is that reviews of a particular are based on the opinions of only people who have bought from and sold to them. Consequently you tend to get a balanced view.

Karma on the other hand would be open to abuse with improvrments or reductions in karma arising falsely.

Boards isn't eBid or eBay and unless (or even if) vBulletin decide to build in some really nifty sales features it should remain that way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi guys, I was away for a while and just saw all this now. I think for a start there should be another moderator, Vexorg or Lucutus? Not suggesting them because they were involved in this but they do frequent the for sale area in the mornings and afternoons when myself and keeks aren't around. Least I don't think keeks is around in the day time.

Secondly I think we should ban people who do things like this, not give them warnings etc. I think we shouldn't be afraid to ban muppets if it helps tidy up the boards. Up to now we've only really banned commercial persistant offenders. Banning a 'nick' shouldn't be such a big deal as it's made out to be, it's only an inconvenience for someone to have to set up another account, but if it would help keep them in line.

Also temporary bans I think should be liberally used, if there was any way of adding the options in the mod area to temporarily ban a nick it would be handy, if it's not too much hassle to implement of course. There could be the options:

3 day ban
    1 week ban
    2 week ban
    1 month &
    permanent

I know without the feature in the mod control area that if one intended to ban someone for a week, they'd probably forget to unban them when the times up, I would! But of course it depends how easy that could be implemented.

Lucutus: You do still have his phone number ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah i agree with this (luc's stuff)
    and the Karma rating would be good

lately anyone who post's a phone usually gets a reply of

'Well I can get this fone for xx with a year contract'

Personally I think this shouldn't be allowed, as its unfair to compare prices on contract (sim free or RTG, i think that should be allowed).

I'm a regular with the Classifieds, (I've bought a good lot of stuff and sold even more) and there is way too much
    'This is for sale' and people pulling out etc. If they want a minimum price as Luc said they should state it

A friend of mine asked me to see if he could sell his ipod for him (he couldn't sell it in B+S), he wanted a minimum price, if he couldn't get it he wasn't letting it go
    so I put a '(maybe) Ipod 5Gb' for the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sorry Hussey I do not agree.

If I go shopping with a mate and am about to buy a phone for a price that is well over the odds then I would expect them to speak out. I think that the same stands here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well I meant was :

say I am selling a phone for 200

and someone says well you can buy one new for 200
    (new meaning contract), the contract could cost minimum 150quid I know my old contract cost me bout 800 a year!!!

Yeah I agree that if its way over the top someone should speak out!!

I'm not saying all phones on 'for sale' are like this, just saying sometimes people's comparsion can be misjudged sometimes

sorry if my point was vague

an example of what I'm talk is

here, one guy selling a phone for 350, one guy replys saying he can get that phone for 250 cause he got a offer that applies to him and only him, Kaskade replies saying Carfone WH sells one for 99, Smccarrick replies saying it wasn't the price he was taling about, K replies saying it was on a preformer option, (which is minimum 600 a year)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Blade,

Anytime I'm on the For Sale board, I take a look to see if I can do any moddin' ;)

Nice idea about making it easier for mods to implement a temp ban, that's been quite effective imo.

Developing for vBulletin is gonna take a while to get kicked off, there's some problem in obtaining additional instances of vBulletin to use in development.

Hussey,

The For Sale board sees a lot of that sort of "I can get X cheaper" posting. The mods need to make sure that whoever posts that sort of thing shares the info on where to get it cheaper! ;)

Luc

Blade: Of course... and more! ;) just in case like...

I can agree that there is a lot of situations where people post saying "Can be got cheaper here ..." but a lot of these posts actually make the For Sale board a lot more favourable towards buyers.

Some of the muppets post uninformed prices (especially in the mobile phone situation) but quite often these replies show that the prices are bad value.

And anyway, sometimes it's nice to see people selling "assorted mobile phones" getting a bit of abuse ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I tink you should be able to let people know where they can get things cheaper, or even for the same price... otherwise people can get ripped off.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I agree with what Blade has stated. banning is the way to go about solving any problems. Anything that makes life easier I for it :D But before we do that we need to draw up a new set of rules and outline what is and is not acceptable on the board. The current one was something I just hacked together with the full intention of rewriting it, when all the holes it became apparent but as you can see i never got around to it (although I have started to :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

well you go do that old skool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by Samba

Sorry Bug, hope that comment wasnt in relation to me and your gfx card :)

No it wasn't, changes of mind are understandable, and I never got the idea that you were getting your jollies from telling me that you'd put 'the money into your account on monday', as some seem to.

Samba is a good buyer, eight thumbs up!

Advertisement