Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC viewable on a telly ??

Options
  • 26-01-2003 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Right,
    I have a PC with a tv capture card, and a gf4 w/ tv out.

I want to hook my Tv card up to the wall socket, and play movies on my PC, and be able to watch them on my telly, in another room.

I know i can do it with my tv out, but i dont want to go hauling my pc in and out, and go setting it up.

Any programs, hardware i need to get to be able to do this ?

Appreciated,
    conZ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

A wireless video sender system would be the ideal solution.
    Try a google search, or on this board, as their was mention of it before iirc... they're not overly expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I've a nVidia GF4 & nForce sound card (6.1 w/ optical out), if i was to connect this to my TV/sounds system, can it be remotely controlled, to select movies, play, pause etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I have tried to get .avi movies playing on PC to show on TV (a Grundig WS, not high-spec). The TV has 3 AV channels, 2xSCART and one in front with Video, Audio L&R. The front set is supposed to be AV3. I connect an output from the PC with Composite Video to the socket in front with the Yellow insert. Nothing shows on TV AV3.

I have tried a few different cards, and taken the signal to a scart adaptor, but nothing. I don't want to invest in a video sender until I am sure the TV connections are working.

Any advice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

STaN - I'd say your best bet for a PC remote control would be a wireless keyboard. Don't know of any other option anywhere near as flexible, but there are "real" remotes out there with trackballs for the mouse etc...

captainpat - have a look here

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

captian, I have the same problem with you. I only seem to be able to play some mpeg's and 1 or two avi's
    I think its got to do with the encoding..
    but anyway my problem si when I hook my pc up to the tv, (raedon 9700 pro) I only seem to see black & white on the tv.. anyone know why?
    Also read of someone else with this problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

black and white would be because your tv doesn't support s-video (or isn't switched to accept it)... theres been a fair few threads on technology and this board about this before and how to get around it.. try a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

lenny;

i had the same problem as you with the black and white, in my case the signal output was set to the wrong fromat NTSC instead of PAL and the refresh rate was set to 60Hz and the telly could only display 50 Hz.

so by changing the refresh rate and encoding it works fine.

as for the avi's, if they are divx encoded then i think your tv out card must support something, i saw it on boards the other day but cant remember what it was :(

direct draw or something... sorry

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the replys lads.. the tv is a few year old and its a widescreen, but I would have thought it was new enoguh to support tv out..

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

you might check out the ati remote wonder - it can fully control the ati media programs, as well as a good few third party ones. Plus its radio so u can use it in another room.

you can get details at http://mirror.ati.com/products/pc/tvwonderveremote/index.html

thats for it bundled with a tuner card, but i remember seeing them on sale standalone somewhere

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by captainpat
    I have tried to get .avi movies playing on PC to show on TV (a Grundig WS, not high-spec). The TV has 3 AV channels, 2xSCART and one in front with Video, Audio L&R. The front set is supposed to be AV3. I connect an output from the PC with Composite Video to the socket in front with the Yellow insert. Nothing shows on TV AV3.

I have tried a few different cards, and taken the signal to a scart adaptor, but nothing. I don't want to invest in a video sender until I am sure the TV connections are working.

Any advice?

Check the Overlay settings and install the ffdshow filter codec?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Pickarooney,

Thanks for tips. I have had a VCD player (a strange device!) running on the TV connection OK, so it must be the spec of the video signal. perhaps I am getting S-Video from the cards on the PC. Further investigations with a different TV to follow.

Advertisement