Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&W display from TV-out

• 26-01-2003 2:57pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've bought a new graphics card, nVidia geforce 4 mx440 with TV-out. I also bought two cables, an svideo and a cinch cable. However, when I connect the card to the TV with either cable, the output is in black and white only.
    When I ask the card to autodetect the TV display, it assumes it to be NTSC. There seems to be no tab on the graphics card settings where I can change the TV display type to PAL.
    Any ideas where/how to change the display to PAL, and will that fix the colour problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I believe the problem is a driver thing. My m8 had the same problem. Try gettin the latest nvidia drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Also make sure your tv supports video out or else you might have to buy an s-video to rca style cable. Althought the drivers will most likely solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

check the av channel on the tv isn't set to s-video (try toggle it)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

After testing all the individual parts of the setup (used a mate's computer), the TV and cable checked out fine. His gfx card auto-detected the TV as PAL, though, whereas mine resolutely refused to do that. I ended up bringing back the card, and the guy eventually admitted that the cards were American imports and may not work with European TV sets. He then tried to refuse to take it back, saying the seal on the bag was broken (how I was expected to remove it without opening it I do not know), but eventually he swapped it for an ATI card of similar specs. This card still didn't work with the s-video conection, but thankfully the cinch cable gave me the full-colour signal.

Bunch o' flimmin' pikeys though all the same, trying to flog off dodgy imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

where did you buy the card?

You had a clear right to a refund - the goods were not fit for the purpose they were sold for.
    from http://www.odca.ie/documents/goods_docs3.htm
    If goods are not of merchantable quality or are not fit for their purpose or are not as described the consumer is entitled to a remedy.

If the reason for the complaint is not trivial and is discovered soon after purchase, the consumer is entitled to reject the goods and insist on a full refund provided prompt action is action is taken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I bought it at a computer fair, where the ins and outs of the law seem to have less clout than in normal shopping spheres.

Advertisement