Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive help

• 26-01-2003 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

I am having major problems with my hard drive. I have bad secotr on my d:\ drive.

The hard drive has 4 partitions c: winxp NTFS
    d: FAT32
    linux
    and linux swap

I keep getting errors and windfows refuses to let me do any error checking or to defragment it.

I am have downloaded software from smasug website as it is a samsung v4002

Any ideas on how to fix things or do i need a new hard drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

As a general rule of thumb, if a modern IDE hard disk openly admits to having any duff sectors at all, it's time to go shopping. Though you might get somewhere if you backup what you can, format, and restore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I reckon if your gona split your hard drive like that get your self a SCSI drive. the chances of bad blocks are greatly reduced and reliability is increased 10 fold. I wouldnt use an IDE drive past a simple partition.

Advertisement