Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing Up a Massive MP3 Collection

Options
  • 26-01-2003 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Right, I've got an enormous MP3 collection spanning a couple of thousand files, and I need to back it up. Now, seeings how the whole lot comes to well over 10 gigs, it's obviously going to spanned over a good few CD-RW's. What I need, basically, is an app that will let me back the lot up, and also back up any new files which I choose to add to it.

I've searched and searched, all to no avail. Does anyone in here know of an app that could do something similar? It'd be a real pain to have to back it up, and then remember any new files I've gotten and re-add them to a new CD.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

just dump it onto a mate's hard drive until you've reformatted your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't bother backin up stuff that I already have - ie stuff that I encoded and saved into mp3 from CDs that I own.

Then all I need to do is back up the stuff from CDs that I *ahem* lost ;)

As Syx says, sive them onto another HD if you wanna format - All of mine exist on a secondary partition, so when I reinstall, I don't need to worry about losing them :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I do the same
    can't beat a secondary partition for putting your important stuff in

Don't have to worry so much about formatting windows partition then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Yes those Secondry partitions are great when your HD goes AWOL sometimes :p

The best thing is to put all your valued MP3's on to CD and then back the rest up to a second HD/Partition...good CD back-ups of the important stuff...and rememebr to mark and cateloge the CDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i use a seperate hard drive for all my "media" files of various sources

best option imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Depends on your cash situation!

You could be a DVDR from Komplett.ie for €270, and 5 DVD-RW discs for around €25.

Alternatively, buy another HD (120GB for €170).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well ur going to have about 8 blank cdrw's thats going to cost you about 40 quid why not just buy a second hand one or pay the extra 50 and buy a 20-40 gig drive just for this ?

all else fails see if anyone u know has a blank dvd r drive buy some disks and ur away with it ive backed up my mp3's onto 5 dvd disks came in handy for storage and when i needed to free up some space fast .

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Bingo

Found this after a good bit of searching. It does exactly what I want to do. I've got a load of 700MB CDRW's lying around and I'm too short on cash to shell out for another HD just yet.

What a time to quit AOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

assuming your using windoze why not just use msbackup and tell it to divide the files into 700mb chunks?

assuming your using windoze why not just use msbackup and tell it to divide the files into 700mb chunks?

Because I want to maintain the backup by adding new files as I get them.

• Advertisement

incremental backup?

Exactly. I'm currently seeking a freeware app to do it, shouldn't be too much hassle.

at least ur smart enough to back it up. Built a system for a guy with 80Gb and 120Gb drives. the 120 was FULL with mp3's, he wanted to go from fat32 to ntfs and was wondering if there was any risks. i almost pissed myself!

i mean seriously, that much stuff and NO backup!! tut tut!

Advertisement