Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Mod Creation Rules....

• 26-01-2003 4:17pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm a bit cheesed with the whole I-want-modship thing thats come along in the last 6 months. So here are some new rules I've just made up and I will be using from now on...

1. If you suggest a board YOU DISQUALIFY YOURSELF FROM BEING MOD. (doesnt affect private boards, duh...).

2. If you bug me or post blatantly saying you would like to be mod on a thread that ISNT a call for moderator suggestions YOU DISQUALIFY YOURSELF FROM BEING MOD.

We've been getting a lot of "I want a board for Toasters-with-java-enabled-browsers ... now make me mod .. me me me" posts in the last 6 months.

People should be suggesting boards they'd LIKE to see regardless of who mods it.

I'll talk to the other admins and see if we agree on this , if we do it will become policy.

People have completely the wrong idea about being a mod and I frankly dont understand it....

Grumpy DeV.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: this has nothing to do with Angelwhore... who just caught me on a bad day on the other post. His is a good suggestion.

pps: If you are REALLY interested in the topic, you wouldnt care who mods it, would you? Think about the motivation before you post a request... do you REALLY want to see that board created or do you just want a shot at being a mod (god only knows why!)

ppps: Subverting these "rules" by creating second accounts or getting mates to suggest you will vary from being successful to getting you both banned depending on how my head feels that morning.

Grumpy DeV.... soon likely to become Evil-Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by DeVore

Grumpy DeV.... soon likely to become Evil-Dev.

Ummm Dev,

Take it easy, Breath in through your nose out through your mouth.

Dev is right though(even though I was one of them muppets at one stage....How did I become mod though???)

A forum should only be created if you got the intrest in it. So why do you want to be a Mod. Think you got all these cool things you can do??? Well you can't you only got certain options and it aint all that great if you really want to know.

Cheers

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cloud made you a mod in a bizarre drive-by board creation incident.

See even Runfree is realising that its just work for no money :)

DeV.

Cloud made you a mod in a bizarre drive-by board creation incident.

See even Runfree is realising that its just work for no money :)

DeV.

Alrite.

All the one to me though as I am on the internet for 8 hours a day. but it is responsibility for no pay like DeV says. its just volunteer work and if you don't do it right you lose your mod ship and if not careful a fulltime ban(I think) and DeV can make sure you wont be using a different account as he can hunt you down and there is nothing you can do about it.

Must go for admin assistant next btw :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

yes but i have one question

whats a Mode ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    yes but i have one question

whats a Mode ?
    What's this got to do with the price of figs in Timbuktu?
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    whats a Mode ?

A highly fashionable moderator?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

/me puts on corduroy trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Considrs rattling the cage just too see what EVIL Dev looks like :)

The suggestions seem good, but tbh you dont have to be a mod to discoruage mupperty on ur fav threads. It is the regular posters that set the tone of a forum and thread. Ideally a mod would never have to edit or delte posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I like cake.

I also think dev is right. Because he's the boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by kaids
    /me puts on corduroy trousers

She said fashionable fs!

Have you people no style

/me puts on pimp clothes and roams the corners of boards.ie

Boooyyyy diiiss shhiiitte is whack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Runfree
    Ummm Dev,

Dev is right though(even though I was one of them muppets at one stage....How did I become mod though???)

A forum should only be created if you got the intrest in it. So why do you want to be a Mod. Think you got all these cool things you can do??? Well you can't you only got certain options and it aint all that great if you really want to know.

Cheers

can we ban this moron from the admin board please?

actually, you are still a muppet, and you are exactly the sort of person DeV is talking about....

Cheers

wow, being here only 2 months, and you know everything about everything already.
    i really hate know-it-all people like you.

if it doesnt matter that much to you, why dont you give me your modship of whatever boards you have?
    i mean, because it wouldnt bother you in any way would it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    can we ban this moron from the admin board please?
    Ummm Dev,

Cheers

actually, you are still a muppet, and you are exactly the sort of person DeV is talking about....

Cheers

wow, being here only 2 months, and you know everything about everything already.
    i really hate know-it-all people like you.

if it doesnt matter that much to you, why dont you give me your modship of whatever boards you have?
    i mean, because it wouldnt bother you in any way would it?
    to me , this seems really harsh .And maybe these kind of comments are not conductive to having people join boards.ie. Newbies should be welcomed with open arms and ears, they are what keeps a place like this going !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

In fairness, its not the n00bs who keep this going, its the Admin's. But that was harsh wwman. As for the new rules, they sound like a good idea. It will stop a lot of stupid forums being started..... like the "Mac" board... I mean come on people.. talk about your
    Toasters-with-java-enabled-browsers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

WWMan, you're the newbie.

cant help but get the feeling that WWM just doesnt like Runfree

wonder why....

Im sorry for having an opinion, however someone who jumps about like a puppy looking to be modded, gets it, and then gives their sagely advice against doing exactly what they have just done, is a moron in my books.

just because you feel that as an admin you must remain aloof to things, doesnt mean that i as a user have to, and i think you know me well enough at this stage to know that if someone písses me off, then i will let them know about it.

this sort of crap annoys me, in the same vein as kittencake, and the signiture police annoy me.....

and if you arent careful, i will play my freedom of speech card, yadda yadda yadda.....

*morph to Ned Flanders*

I'd like the hear from sideshow amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Shut up Gone Shootin, you muppet.

Like any community, respect is not an automatic right of new arrivals. Respect is earned.

Coming into a community and expecting people to respect your opinion just because you're online 8 hours a day or whatever is a moronic attitude.

Due to experience, all newbies are muppets unless they prove otherwise.

But then, I've only been here since August 99 so who cares what I think? ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by amp
    But then, I've only been here since August 99 so who cares what I think? ;)

Not me, thats for sure.....

j/k

Well to all you n00bs, I've been here since 1999.. and I still haven't gotten respect from wwm... your in for a long and painful jurny. On the other hand.. it is wwm and he is one of the higher forms of muppet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep good idea Dev.

Can we also limit WWM to one post per day as well. That way he might use the post for something constructive instead of trolling like a tart all the time :)

(Of course he could just be destructively spamming also!)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TBQH these rules are needed. All those "make me mod", "I'm on 23 hrs and 59 mins a day", "I post 12 times a day", "please, please, please" style threads were annoying.

Rules probably won't stop the threads from being started but theres no way to whack someone if the whacking stick isn't available.

WWMan is entitled to his opinion as are the people telling him he's being too harsh.

Personally I dont agree with him but thats cool...

As Cloud says, yer all newbies to us :p
    Seriously though, I like new posters... ok Runfree went a bit nuts when he arrived but he's enthusiastic and harmless (now that his post average is heading south :) ).

Boards is like a big party. The admins are the hosts. If you arrive at a party and one of the guests who arrived before you is rude to you, you dont blame the hosts or leave the party.... just walk away and hit the vodka shots, then snog that blonde thats giving you the eye and hang out on the stairs listening to Morrisey tunes and discussing Guatamala....

Ok I lost it somewhere in that analogy didnt I ... :^/

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

(even though I was one of them muppets at one stage....How did I become mod though???)

You broke rule number one. That's how :D
    1. If you suggest a board YOU DISQUALIFY YOURSELF FROM BEING MOD. (doesnt affect private boards, duh...).

Can we smack all the people who always give the thumbs up to a board whatever it's purpose too? (pretty please ;))

Don't forget your Ignore List.

It works wonders, it really does.

WWMan is entitled to his opinion as are the people telling him he's being too harsh.

Personally I dont agree with him but thats cool...

As Cloud says, yer all newbies to us :p
    Seriously though, I like new posters... ok Runfree went a bit nuts when he arrived but he's enthusiastic and harmless (now that his post average is heading south :) ).

Boards is like a big party. The admins are the hosts. If you arrive at a party and one of the guests who arrived before you is rude to you, you dont blame the hosts or leave the party.... just walk away and hit the vodka shots, then snog that blonde thats giving you the eye and hang out on the stairs listening to Morrisey tunes and discussing Guatamala....

Ok I lost it somewhere in that analogy didnt I ... :^/

DeV.

Yeah I think it was somewhere around the point when you sajested a blonde would be eyeing up a boards member...

• Advertisement

I didnt say the blonde was female...

(WWMan is blonde isnt he? :p )

DeV.

I didnt say the blonde was female...

(WWMan is blonde isnt he? :p )

DeV.

My point still stands :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I'd just like to encourage everybody to vote.

Carpe Diem baby.

Originally posted by sutty
    My point still stands :(

did you hear the one about the boards.ie sekrit society that broke up under a huge troll because there was one member who always hung around and wasnt liked?

no, if i was to shout and scream about every muppet on this board, or complain about newbies all the time, i wouldnt atually get any work done. in fact, i probably wouldnt be able to get of the CTYI board ever.
    however i dont.

HOWEVER......

if youre going to say something, at least back it up. validate your opinion or its isnt worth anything, even in the great freedom of speech amendment of boards.ie

oh, and can i be mod of something else? because im not happy with two boards. i dont feel special enough. other people have 4 or 5. or maybe if i make a few private boards, i can be MOD of them as well.

look, modding is a piece of cake ok.
    you read the threads.
    you delete or edit those you dont like and give a reason and a warning
    if someone complains, tell them to go to the admins.

really, its that easy.
    the thrill of editing someone elses post disappears after 20 minutes.
    if you are all so interested, why dont you go and post on some obscure board lots, tell devore that the moderator there has no input and doesnt read the boards anymore,a nd try to usurp them.
    but bloody hell, suggesting 20 new boards a day is rediculous.
    especially when the only purpose is to feel superior and smug.

you can only get that feeling by a self righteous, trolling, annoying príck.

like me.

why dont you go and post on some obscure board lots, tell devore that the moderator

Let the Mod wars of 2003 commence ;)

WWM
    you can only get that feeling by a self righteous, trolling, annoying príck.

I prefare the term

"Righteously indignant bastard" and yes... that feeling gets me through the day, much like sweet caffeine.

friend, confidante.... sekrit lover.

• Advertisement

Well glad I got another argument started :D

Like DeV said WWMan is entitled to his opinion and well he might not like me but hey.

Also my average is heading south mainly cause I can't be bothered commenting on everything that is said. So I went a bid mad at the start and yes I did want power when I first started its a n00b thing.

Can I just make one thing clear WWMan. I never asked to be Mod of Self-Defense, Cloud just did it.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Runfree
    CMod: Self Defence

Also my average is heading south mainly cause I can't be bothered commenting on everything that is said.

"Yes hello."

"My sarcasm detector seems to have overloaded and blown itself to pieces."

"Why yes, I am a member of the RAC..... would it be possible for you to send out a technician ... onsite?"

"That's wonderful... thank you so much."

Typedef,

That average used to be 12.5 a day. I only post about 4-5 post a day on average. at one stage I had 50 post in a day.

I remember in one week I put over 175 post so it is quite a difference and it takes time for the average to drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Whats the big deal with this Mod lark anyway ?
    Looks like a pain in the arse if you ask me ...

And runfree you say you wanted it for the power ? wtf .... im in awe of your power !!!! ooooohhhhh

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to start anything here Runfree, but why the hell did you look at how much you posted in a week? There's a big world out there, if only I could find the door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Are all n00bs* also kn0bs ?

*Runfree

Well glad I got another argument started :D

you arent that important.

Like DeV said WWMan is entitled to his opinion and well he might not like me but hey.

im glad that is sorted, i can work easy for the rest of the day.

Also my average is heading south mainly cause I can't be bothered commenting on everything that is said .

a very refreshing change i must say.
    So I went a bid mad at the start and yes I did want power when I first started its a n00b thing.

like a junkie, the first shot is free. then one board isnt enough, you want more.
    you plot to see if you can overthrow the other mods and wrest their crowns from their dying hands, you got to have those boards. you got to look inportant, and you just know it will be worth it, becuase there are so many boards, and so many threads that need editing.
    you fool yourself its for the good of the boards, that you and only you can make a difference, can do it for good. but it turns on you. you become the slave. and it eats you from inside, doesnt it....

oh sorry, no, its just about feeling important, and really about being insecure.
    Can I just make one thing clear WWMan. I never asked to be Mod of Self-Defense, Cloud just did it.

do you really want me to go and dig up threads where you 'suggested' that you should be mod?
    or should i dig up every post where you replied to every post like it was irc?

boing boing *waggy tail*
    Cheers

NP.

by the way runfree, have you seen any trolls lately?
    and do you know what flamebait is?

WWMan be my guest posting all the treads about me asking to be Mod.

Im sure for the Self Defense forum when I suggested it I said that they can make me Mod but no need for it.

Ah what the heck I'll even look it up myself for you so you wont have to do it.

Might give you the time to looks for something else to annoy some-one else for a change.

Here ya go WWMan,

Even solves all the problems of finding out about my previous post of asking to become a Mod

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76015

Well and if you read carefully you will even see that you are the muppet that suggested that you should be Mod.

After all, I am very mature

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Heading North again, Runfree? :)

nah probably post about 5 times now after today for the rest of the week.

Just at nothing today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

This is nearly as ugly as Oprah. Nearly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement