Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting this stuff-ideas..

• 27-01-2003 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Here we go.

Thinking of upgrading my pc from a 18 month old abit kt7a with 1 gig of sd ram and a 1900XP(this is a newer addition changed from an athlon 1200)

This is what I was thinking of getting

AMD Athlon XP2600+: 289
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard Socket A: 182.44
    Corsair XMS3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB PC2700: 2x120.54 =241.08
    Western Digital Caviar 120GB IDE 7200RPM- Special Edition: 184.57

Total is 897.21+delivery(prices from our friends at Komplett.ie)

It seems to be more expensive than i thought it would be. So much so it means that I won't be getting a new case to go with it :mad:

Well what do you think? Am I crazy to be spending so much money? Could i change some of the parts for cheaper ones?
    Basically-how do I save a few quid on this..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Slower processor - you won't notice much difference between an xp1900 and the xp2600, and it's a good 180 quid cheaper, which is more than enough to let you get a nice chieftec aluminium case too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

if u dont mind me asking y r u upgrading from a 1900xp to a 2600xp?

what activities can u do on a 2600xp that u cant do with a 1900xp?

seems like a lot of money for nuthin to me. i have a p4 1800 atm & it suits me fine. theres not a lot out there that cant be done with that grade of processor. spend ur cash on a new geforce fx when they come out instead, presuming u dont have a geforce 4 or radeon, which u probly do

also i personally think ur crazy gettin 2*256 of RAM. get a 512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by whosurpaddy

also i personally think ur crazy gettin 2*256 of RAM. get a 512

He's getting an nForce mobo, so if he gets 2X256 he'll get better memory bandwidth than if he gets 1X512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    if u dont mind me asking y r u upgrading from a 1900xp to a 2600xp?

The reason that i am upgrading is that i want better performance. Simple really. The 1900XP that I am using isn't betting the most out of it, imo, since i am using it with sd ram. If I upgrade the board to the nforce2 then i will be getting better performace all round. This will especially suit my geforce 4 which is being restricted by my current setup.
    The reason i was upgrading the processor was that since I am getting a board that runs at 333 MHz FSB, I may as well get a chip that does the same.
    also i personally think ur crazy gettin 2*256 of RAM. get a 512 [/B]

what maxheadroom said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I wouldn't get the corsair as it is too dear . I would get the TwinMos as it is nearly half the price and should still run at the same latency as the corsair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Slighlty confused by the ram being pc2700 altho including the keyword 3200 in the product name.

Check the mobo for overclocking ability, the kt400 are multi unlocked, and have a agp/pci ratio thingy which means if you overclock the FSB, you can still keep you`re PCI(33mhz) and AGP(66mhz) running at the correct frequencies

I have a xp1800(tbred) running with a FSB of 166(333mhz), pc2700(333mhz) and a gf4 ti4200(250/513) which is giving me a good performance in games.

by cutting down on the CPU, getting a cheaper one and overclocking it(get a decent fan), you`ll have money left over for a decent case.

Oh and whatever you do, dont get the skyhawk case off komplett, imo shítty flimpsy small piece of crap(with go-faster stripes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i stand(sit down really) corrected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why not get a 512 dimm now.....and get the second one later.
    1 gig of ddr with double the pipe width is better then half the ram :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The WD1200JB is on special for €170 right now ;)

The WD1200JB is on special for €170 right now

anyone know how much longer this will be on special for?

BazH recommended getting a good cooler, can anyone recommend one that would be suitable for the 2600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Probably next monday when the specials are updated. Best to get in early and not be disappointed.

Also maybe you could live without a new proc and get a dvd writer instead. I'll probably get one, lowest price I've seen around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by The_Bullman

AMD Athlon XP2600+: 289
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard Socket A: 182.44
    Corsair XMS3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB PC2700: 2x120.54 =241.08

Funny that, I am curretnly thinking of getting a very similar setup up as you:

AMD Athlon XP2400+: 200
    Same mobo
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB w/Winbond (115490): 2 x 76 = 152
    I already have the WD 80 GB Special Edition
    Sapphire Radeon 9700 Atlantis PRO 128MB : 396

Any comments on this setup?

BTW if you do decide to get corsair ram, they now have:
    Corsair XMS3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB PC3200 (115750) for 258
    These are actually a pair of 256MB modules, specifically designed for nforce2 motherboards.

What I can't make my mind up about is if I will get a Vapochill Premium Edition, EUR 700 Inc delivery. Does anyone think it is worth it or am I mad :D

Also which of the following two power supplies is better?

109211 Enermax PSU ATX 431W (P-4)
    - Power supply Whisper Series for P4/AMD 124.94

or

109206 Enermax PSU ATX 450W (P-4)
    - Silent Plus Series for P4/AMD 122.81

All stuff except the Vapochill (direct from Vapochill) from kmoplett

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

€700 is a lot of money if you've desperately after fast 3dmarks scores or want to make your comp go as fast as possible then vapochill PE makes perfect sense. With a Athlon Thoroughbred B chip you should be able to get at least 2.4 GHz and probably more. Just think of all the other stuff you could buy.... 17/18" LCD, THX certified surround speakers, etc and if the tradeoff is worth it then go for it! :)

I have to say that I was looking at the vapochill meself and dreaming...

I decided to not go for the chip and to keep the cash and hopefully follow Phaxx's idea of getting a sweet case.

Oh, and I decided to not go for the corsair but to go for twinmos instead. It is a good deal cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

Let us know how it runs.

Will do.

Just trying to figure out what fancy case to get though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

These are cool.

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=4769&type=6&path=14x122x539

loads of space for everything you need.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    Will do.

Just trying to figure out what fancy case to get though.

Great deal on a chieftec midi tower on this weeks special offers at Komplett, just EUR 100
    here

Advertisement