Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

net slow after 2k upgrade

Options
  • 27-01-2003 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

My dad's computer (which has the modem and shares its connection with two other computers on the network) had Windows 98SE wiped today and replaced with Windows 2000. Now the internet is extreeeemely slow.

The modem (external USR) still connects at the same speed as always: 45,333.

But webpages load very noticibly slower on all three computers.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

its not windows, thats for sure. there was a massive attack over the weekend on many servers, caused some problems, that may possibly be it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I dunno. seriously EVERY webpage i try is slowasbedamned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

This is weird. take a look at this picture of my PPP connection status:

www.loolaa.net/connection2.bmp

that's a hell of a lot of bad packets received. i don't think that's normal (but i'm not sure - i don't think windows 98 PPP status tells you these things).

Any new ideas in light of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You should not be receiving any errors / maybe just a few. Reconnect a few times until the errors stop.

I find windows 2000 / Windows XP ALOT quicker for browsing the net than Windows 98. I think its mainly because the new explorer renders web pages quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, your getting some serious errors there. This is mine:

connection.jpg

I know i'm on isdn, but I doubt you should be getting that many errors. Maybe try uninstalling/reinstalling your modem with 2k drivers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I used to get errors like that aswell. I found that my cd drive was causing it. Don't know how exactly but when ever i was playing music or looking at something on a cd it would do this. Try the installing the latest service pack i think that helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If its a winmodem then it'll need drivers.
    Even if windows2000 had drivers built in you should try downloading the latest ones to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

running 2k SP3 and usually get 2% RX errors. Ive found 2k log in to the server MUCH faster than 98.

As the guy said, get the latest drivers 1st than work from there. What verison of IE you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have a look in your event viewer and see if anything interesting is goin on there.

start\settings\control panel\admins tools\event viewer

Advertisement