Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's mozilla's problem with gifs?

• 27-01-2003 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I just downloaded mozilla browser today in college to have a look at it.

Is it just me or does mozilla have some beef with gifs?

Doesn't bother me as only 3% of my users use mozilla and if they made their bed they can lie in it.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? or is it just my settings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

It opened okay for me, its probably your cache settings, I know I've had problems before when the cache settings were wrong and it manifested itself as a problem with images not showing, although what types of images I could not tell you.
    Doesn't bother me as only 3% of my users use mozilla and if they made their bed they can lie in it.

thats a pretty bad attitude to have, its a better browser IMO than anything else out there, so now I'm gonna be punished for using a superior product...

Doesnt seem right somehow.

Baz_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mozilla shouldn't (and doesn't) have any problems with gif's.

As a Phoenix (Moz derived browser) user I never have any problems with GIF's.

Gif's (Compuserve GIF) are evil tho as Unisys profit from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That statement was just meant to see what reactions it would provoke. We do try to facilitate everyone.
    The site displays quite well in mozilla and netscape but at the end of the day most of my users (93%) use MSIE and therefore the site is going to be optimised for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We have to use MSIE, all the sites we try to read have had some eejit "optimising" them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Optimising for MSIE generally means sticking in bulky Microsoft only technologies which prevent the site from functioning properly in any other browser.

Hmmmm, how optimal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Gif's (Compuserve GIF) are evil tho as Unisys profit from them.

Note everybody stop buying potatoes! People profit from them.
    :P

Anyway, if you notice at the top of the browser, you'll see other graphics are a little strange too.

The problem is because you're probably running it on an old computer, or one that's got a dodgey install.

On Macs the same thing happens with Netscape too when it's low on memory.

BTW, your code doesn't valiudate at all:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.ballooba.net/

Should be easy to fix though, and will make it more likely that the site will work in browsers that you aren't able to test.

- Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Talliesin
    We have to use MSIE, all the sites we try to read have had some eejit "optimising" them :(

Students also have to use MSIE because network admistrators in college put MSIE in Labs. This "eejit" finds that MSIE can display things a lot better than the version of Netscape available to most subscribers. Why not make life easier by designing for what 90% (atm) of subscribers use. Only thing that is different for netscape/mozilla users is that the javascript scroller is invisible.
    Optimising for MSIE generally means sticking in bulky Microsoft only technologies which prevent the site from functioning properly in any other browser.

Wasn't aware of these bulky microsoft only tecnologies that I had used.

Btw. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback whether it is positive or negative, the fact remains though that 90% of sunscribers use MSIE. The 10% that do not use MSIE we have found are not generally students and therefore would have no interest in the site.

Also if anyone has any way of doing a javascipt scroller or alternative that will show in mozilla/netscape then I will very glady use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You should code to standards either way though, to cover your own ass.

Loads of scroolers that work in mozilla/ns7
    check out www.dhtmllab.com

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by ballooba
    Only thing that is different for netscape/mozilla users is that the javascript scroller is invisible.
    So it's optimised for Mozilla then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement