Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which DSL ethernet modem do Eircom supply

• 27-01-2003 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Do anyone know which DSL ethernet modem Eircom supply with the solo-option? I've phoned them on their 1-800 number but they call centre people don't seem to know.

I'm basically trying to figure out if the device that they install can be configured as a firewall, NAT, etc. The Euro 240 cost for an ethernet modem seems a bit crazy given that you can pickup 4-port Linksys DSL routers in the US for less than $100.

For now I have an ISDN router at home which I have configured as a firewall and NAT. That allows me to have a few machines on my home LAN in relatively safety. If I switch to DSL I need to do the same thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Have a go on the broadband forum with this. You're more likely to get a current answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Alan,

I am getting Solo installed tomorrow and am also taking delivery of a d-link 504 router/modem which has nat etc...

It is roughly €160.

Cheers,
    D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You can get one in Maplin much cheaper and with 4x10/100 ethernet ports and NAT included. Think it was about 160Euros. But you can probably get it even cheaper if you shop around.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I got a 4-port DSL router for €58 on Saturday. You should shop around before spending upwards of €100 on one. Then again, good luck with getting anything at a reasonable price in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kiswa

I think that they were supplying a ZyXEL P642 in the past. It's a fine device, never had any problems with it. Can be configured to act as a bridge or router, depending on your preferences and where you want the PPPoE connection terminated. As for the the Linksys devices you mention - careful with your terminology there. Linksys just make routers, not modems. So you'll still need a DSL modem from another vendor. Like ZyXEL :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by kiswa
    As for the the Linksys devices you mention - careful with your terminology there. Linksys just make routers, not modems. So you'll still need a DSL modem from another vendor. Like ZyXEL :)
    Note that he mentoined DLink, not Linksys. And I thought the same thing that you did, but when I checked the DLink site they say that the 504 plgs directly into your ADSL wall-jack:
    You can use the twisted-pair ADSL cable (standard telephone cable) included with the Router to connect to your telephone line. Simply plug one end of the cable into the ADSL port (RJ-11 receptacle) on the rear panel of the Router and insert the other end into the wall jack. This connection provides the link between the Router and the ISPs network including access to the Internet.
    Apparently, the 504 supports PPPoE and PPPoA, so if someone can confirm that this box will in fact work with Eircoms setup, it looks like an attractive option.

The DI-504 "provides many security features found in firewalls such as IP filtering, socket filtering, NAT ... and VPN". The DI-804V is a firewall with SPI, syslog support, virtual port mapping, etc, but it does require a "modem".

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kiswa

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Note that he mentoined DLink, not Linksys.

True enough. The first poster, however, noted the "4-port Linksys DSL routers in the US for less than $100", which will require a separate DSL modem. I'd just hate to think of people attempting to plug their phone line into their new Linksys router and wondering why the internet isn't working. Make sure you know what you're buying and are able to set it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alanb

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I was looking at a Linksys router but, as noted, it doesn't have a DSL modem built-in.

The main thing I wanted to know if which device Eircom install. When I phoned their 1-800 number they told me that they won't support anyone that doesn't use the equipment they install but the person couldn't tell me what they actually install. Also they say you are limited to one machine which I assume means they provide a cross-over cable which connects to your PC rather than a straight cable into your hub.

Anyway, the answer seems to be a ZyXEL Prestige 642. I took a quick look at the datasheet and it seems to a reasonable device. NAT looks simple to setup but the filtering seems to be awkward to setup if you want to port certain ports for protocols such as X11.

Originally posted by kiswa
    True enough. The first poster, however, noted the "4-port Linksys DSL routers in the US for less than $100", which will require a separate DSL modem.
    Absolutely. But you don't have to go as far as the US (and risk getting hit for duty etc). amazon.co.uk will deliver the LinkSys BEFSR41 to Ireland for €85.
    I'd just hate to think of people attempting to plug their phone line into their new Linksys router and wondering why the internet isn't working. Make sure you know what you're buying and are able to set it up.
    At this price, these devices are an excellent buy. But does anyone know of one that will work with a USB "modem"? I know someone who has NTL cable broadband, and the cable modem connects to his PC via USB, so he can't stick one of these firewall/router/hub devices in to protect his PC from external probes. Any advice?

Originally posted by alanb
    The main thing I wanted to know if which device Eircom install. When I phoned their 1-800 number they told me that they won't support anyone that doesn't use the equipment they install but the person couldn't tell me what they actually install. Also they say you are limited to one machine which I assume means they provide a cross-over cable which connects to your PC rather than a straight cable into your hub.
    No, it means that you connect via PPPoE, so you have to run a "dialler" to connect to the network - a hub won't buy you anything. But one of the aforementioned firewall/routers should work fine. (I used one when I was on the Eircom trial - they were using the Alcatel SpeedTouch modme at the time, not teh Zyxel, but I don't think that would matter).
    Anyway, the answer seems to be a ZyXEL Prestige 642. I took a quick look at the datasheet and it seems to a reasonable device. NAT looks simple to setup but the filtering seems to be awkward to setup if you want to port certain ports for protocols such as X11.
    All you need now is the administrator password for the ZyXel. Don't expect to get it from Eircom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

they don't give out the 642r anymore they only give out the 645m and alcatel speedtouch home as the ethernet modem's neither of which can be set up as a router so you still have to have a pppoe dialer on you're machine and if you need to share the connection run ICS off it as you aare only given one username and passowrd so only one comp can connect at a time.

In the specs for routers they generally say that they support pppoe or pppoa this does not mean however that they actually work the modem part. It just means they have a pppoe client in it that can initate the conection and thus saving a client machine doing it but they still have to be plugged into a modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alanb

Thanks for the replies. I run 4 machines at home (it's just myself so I consider it solo). I had hoped that the PPPoE end point would be the router and I didn't plan to have PPPoE configured on the clients. It sounds like Eircom have switched from a router offering so that means I'll need to buy a router with PPPoE, NAT, ... support. That''s fine but I wish they would provide some decent technology info on their web site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

DSL-504 ADSL Router with 4-port 10/100M has an inbuild ADSL Modem. Did 4 eircom DSL installations with the router works fine but can go down for no reason at all and you have to start the connection again.

Best router I have used for eircom DSL is a Draytek Vigor 2600. Build in modem as well. Bit more expansive so.

Both are available on microaid.ie . I think the DLink is around 160 incl. VAT the Draytek is 295 plus VAT.

Originally posted by pickarooney
    I got a 4-port DSL router for €58 on Saturday. You should shop around before spending upwards of €100 on one. Then again, good luck with getting anything at a reasonable price in Ireland.
    Where did you get it and what model is it?

Originally posted by rolo2912
    DSL-504 ADSL Router with 4-port 10/100M has an inbuild ADSL Modem. Did 4 eircom DSL installations with the router works fine but can go down for no reason at all and you have to start the connection again.
    From previous experience with the DLink, I think that the problem may be with the logging function - you can have it log inbound connection attempts, so that you can see who's port scanning you, and it can be helpful in trying to diagnose other connection problems. I think that the problem might be that the buffer it uses for logging this information fills up. See if you can disable the logging function, and if that improves matters.

(I just got my hands on one of these for a few minutes last night. It had the latest firmware installed, and the screens didn't look anything like the screenshots in the manual - there's been a lot of functionality added. If/when I get an ADSL connection back, I look forward to playing with this box in greater depth!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by Ardmore
    Where did you get it and what model is it?

Bought it in Holland, the model is an Arktech/Transbridge. I had a look about on the web for info. on orderingone, but alas it seems it's been discontinued, and the company itself no longer seems to be in existence. This may partly explain the low price - sorry to get your hopes up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

Guys just a quick update.

I am collecting the router today and will install this evening.
    Hopefully I will be able to give you all a bit of insight into how good the router is.

Whether I get it fully configured as I would like is whole different ball game. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

Where did u buy it, how much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

eircoms dsl is too expensive on a monthly basis and everything.
    get cablenet braodband where it is likw 160 euro for equipment and installation and 50euro a month after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

For what it's worth, eircom sent a Zyxel Prestige 645 (yes, it's an Ethernet model) to a guy I freelance for (it arrived on Tuesday last)...

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 sgbrady

if its a wireles router it is probably a motorola netopia 2247

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

That reply took a while. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

And the prize goes to....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement