Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's online DSL test

Options
  • 27-01-2003 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Just tried this and was told "sorry" you are not eligible or some such. Am I right in presuming that this just checks my phone number against the list of DSL ready exchanges?
    What I'm asking is, is there any sense asking for a line test if this has failed me already.
    I'm in Lucan btw if anybody knows whether this exchange is upgraded.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

keep at them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Gave them a buzz at that number (thanks Muck) and the girl checked and told me that my exchange has been upgraded but my line has never been tested (?!! I knew that). She will get a test done and ring me back probably next week with the result.

Which leaves me wondering.

Is the online test where you put in your number and a/c number just an electronic version of a Magic 8 Ball?

Ask again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Make that number a sticky, someone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The online test is just a database of automatically tested numbers in enabled exchanges. Its always worth ringing eircom and asking for a test instead of that online yoke.

1800 503 303 is probably a better bet, as thats the residential number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Whats the story with them testing over isdn?

• Advertisement

Tired of waiting so I called them back today and got the bad news.
    "The test result was an outright fail, there could be any number of reasons for your line failing but I can't tell you what they are."
    "There is no possibility of getting DSL on that line"
    Cheers Eircom.

Do I have any further options re:DSL now?
    Which DSL variant are Eircom currently using?
    What is the likelyhood, given that response, of any flavour of DSL finding it's way into my house?

I am NOT looking forward to browsing Boards for the next couple of months, reading thread after thread entitled "Got my DSL today and it rocks! And I'm saving sooo much money!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Samba
    Whats the story with them testing over isdn?

Was wondering the exact same thing myself. At the moment I've got 1 POTS line and then ISDN (3 Numbers) I know the exchange in Malahide has been upgraded as my uncle's number passed and his house in 15m away(Online test). My house is a year old (On uncles land infact) so I presume I won't be needing to worry about split lines etc. So now I'm looking for ADSL problem being that ISDN lines are being used for business and having them downgraded for a test which could take a couple of weeks is kinda unacceptable if they're going to turn around and say FAIL...
    The POTS line fails the online test but I'll be leaving that as just a for normal phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Give them a ring on 1800 512 128.. they'll chat to you about how things are progressing on the ISDN front..

let us know if you hear anything

Yeah what the hell i'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what the story is with testing over ISDN.

Originally posted by milltown
    Tired of waiting so I called them back today and got the bad news.
    "The test result was an outright fail, there could be any number of reasons for your line failing but I can't tell you what they are."
    "There is no possibility of getting DSL on that line"
    Cheers Eircom.

where are ya, distance from exchange? in block of flats ? old area like Monkstown ?

• Advertisement

I'm in a one year old house, the oldest house in the estate is less than two years old, on the "new" side of Lucan (Griffeen Rd. area). I don't know where my exchange is, it could be the one on the Nangor Rd. in Clondalkin (about 3 miles away as the crow flies) but I don't think so as my number is 62xxxxx and afaik most Clondalkin numbers are 45xxxxx.
    The woman I spoke to the first time told me that my exchange HAS been upgraded. Does anybody know the whereabouts of exchanges in Lucan? I'm guessing it must be on the old village side. In which case it seems likely that Eircom connected all the fresh new cable from the new estates to the old carrier pigeon network that has been there for years.
    Also, do I recall correctly that somebody who was told they failed the test got in touch with an Eircom engineer who tested again and told him he passed?
    Any input would be appreciated as I don't fancy waiting for NTL to win the Lotto and push ahead with their cable rollout. I can see my tombstone now:
    "Here lies Milltown, the last of the 56k brigade"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Milltown,

I am in Lucan too (Castle Riada). I did the online test a couple of weeks ago and passed and recently tried it again and failed so I decided to call Eircom. I failed that too. I asked about the location of the exchange and they said that it was in Lucan. Presumably in the village.

I'm in a one year old house, the oldest house in the estate is less than two years old, on the "new" side of Lucan (Griffeen Rd. area). I don't know where my exchange is, it could be the one on the Nangor Rd. in Clondalkin (about 3 miles away as the crow flies) but I don't think so as my number is 62xxxxx and afaik most Clondalkin numbers are 45xxxxx.

62nn is Lucan Exchange all right.

You shoul dbe getting around 44-46k where you are on analogue.

If any less then email ccm@eircom.ie (email version of 1901) and report that your line is unusually quiet and or crackly. Ask them to text it properly and repair it pronto.

Insist that they email you when the repairs are complete to confirm that they have finished so that you can check it for yourself. Not telling you is a serious regulatory offence and will give you leverage with Comreg.

M

Connection speeds are generally in the 42 to 48 range but even 56k 100% of the time would be too slow and expensive.
    Is it worth e-mailing them anyway? I thought they would only guarantee something like 28k data on a standard line.

I've just given 1800512128 a ring and got through to a very helpful operator. Now she told me that it's still not possible for Eircom to test ISDN lines for ADSL availability yet but that this test will come into use next month.
    Now for the really good news. As I mentioned in my first post I currently have a POTS line as well as an ISDN line. The POTS line passed the ADSL test first time. This suggests that if I downgrade the ISDN line it would also pass the ADSL line test. (Both lines were installed at the same time and the engineer new they would be used for business purposes) Now it's just a matter of seeing how much work is willing to pay for:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by daramullally
    Milltown,

I am in Lucan too (Castle Riada). I did the online test a couple of weeks ago and passed and recently tried it again and failed so I decided to call Eircom. I failed that too. I asked about the location of the exchange and they said that it was in Lucan. Presumably in the village.

the exchange is on esker lane. your also about the same distance as me from it. your houses(and hence lines) are much newer than my one in esker park so just keep at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

I know quite a number of people in lucan who have had tests done, in new houses too and they failed.

I wonder if they were all wired up on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

Just because your exchange is enabled for dsl does not mean you can receive it. There is a distance limit from the exchange....this limit is increased by using interleaving which increases the latency (ping times) which is not a problem for downloads but is a problem for gamers.

The distance which i think is about 3.5 miles (i am sure i will be corrected ): ) is not as the crow flies but is the length of the cable from the DSLAM to your house.

Also Eircom use ADSL which is asynchronous which means your upload and download speeds differ e.g. 512 down and 128 up

Also Eircom provide DSL over your analogue line and ISDN needs to be downgraded to work. There is DSL over ISDN but you will be left waiting by eircom.....

Remember...if you use isdn your ping times are superior to eircom adsl...so if you are a gamer..check it out properly first....

Does anybody here have, or know of anybody who has, Eircom's DSL in Lucan? And if so, where in Lucan?
    Not meaning to pee on long term Lucanites but it seems to me that the vast majority of houses with a postal address in Lucan were built within the last 5 - 10 years. (I probably know the answer to this already but...) Were Eircom really that short sighted so recently to wire new houses with 3 amp fusewire for telephone lines? Did they really believe that the pay for every minute, dial up gravy train would never end?

P.S. Thanks for restating the facts JYD.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Does anybody here have, or know of anybody who has, Eircom's DSL in Lucan? And if so, where in Lucan?
    Not meaning to pee on long term Lucanites but it seems to me that the vast majority of houses with a postal address in Lucan were built within the last 5 - 10 years. (I probably know the answer to this already but...) Were Eircom really that short sighted so recently to wire new houses with 3 amp fusewire for telephone lines? Did they really believe that the pay for every minute, dial up gravy train would never end?

P.S. Thanks for restating the facts JYD.

Stop peeing on me. I'm a long term Lucanite and I don't appreciate it. Not sure if I can DSL but think one of my mates has who lives in Canonbrook (near Superquinn). Those houses were built bout 12 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I'm in Lucan btw if anybody knows whether this exchange is upgraded.

Yes it is Upgraded and it is behind CBS Lucan (Colaiste Phadraig) near woodies . If you are to far from the Exchange you could try Radsl they will be launching this shortly

That's good info Guru, cheers.

I'll start holding my breath now so.

Advertisement