Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty for Driving without a license

Options
  • 27-01-2003 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Curious about this at the moment,

What is the penalty for driving without a license in the car?

Also I assume there is a distinction between this and and driving when your license has expired?

I am still stuck in the queue for a driving test, and although my 2nd prov is valid for another while, if it runs out and I get a 3rd prior to the test, what is the penalty for driving unaccompanied on a 3rd prov? Is insurance invalidated by doing this?

Cheers,

JAK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

afaik you'll get points on your license but you may also get a fine

I'd say driving with an expired license is worse than not being able to produce a license when asked - the whole thing of not actually having a current driving license and all....

Maybe I've got it all wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

As per the points guidelines:

1) Failure to produce license- 1 point
    I assume this applies in your case Jak if you're waiting for one.

2) Driving without supervision of qualified driver- 1 point
    I assume this applies also as I doubt you drive yer ma to work

So thats two points and a possible/probable fine. Keep yer head down and dont do anything daft.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Driving on an expired licence does not invalidate your insurance btw- you're still covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Ahh excellent - thanks guys.

As for me - no currently I'm on 2nd prov. and in the queue for test. License is valid but the way things are it will likely expire before I get to sit my test and get full license.

If it meant my insurance would be invalidated I would simply be off the road - as it stands though, once 2nd prov is on the way out I will request 3rd and likely keep driving unaccompanied until my test - i.e. just take the risk of clocking up a point.

It may be wrong, but if this system allows me to drive alone on 2nd, I think it is ridiculous that it should then revert me to accompanied driving in the current circumstances just prior to my test.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Don't forget the bit about waiting for her in the car park for 8 hours till she finishes ;)

When you renew your license get a reciept from your local Motor Taxation office. This should suffice as proof that your waiting for a new license.Thjat has you down to 1 point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by Kell
    As per the points guidelines:

1) Failure to produce license- 1 point
    I assume this applies in your case Jak if you're waiting for one.

2) Driving without supervision of qualified driver- 1 point

So thats two points and a possible/probable fine. Keep yer head down and dont do anything daft.

i thought penalty points were only out for speeding now and the rest such as you mentioned above will be implmented durning the year in stages and are not yet in place????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are 69 seperate driving offences which can gather penalty points, of which 14 are already enforced.
    Note the rest are all "in place", and legally binding, just not enforced by the Gardai at present.
    There was a list of the offences in Driving Ireland from 2 weeks ago, I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

If your 2nd License is about to expire, you can state that fact on the application form and you will be fitted in for a test before your license expires (typically the day it expires)

Note that you cannot obtain a 3rd Provisional License without having sat a test.

[TAKEN FROM www.drivingtest.ie]
    ... Eligibility for a third or subsequent Provisional Licence for any category of vehicle is dependent on you having undergone a driving test within the previous two years or providing medical evidence for not having undertaken it or providing evidence of a forthcoming driving test appointment in respect of the vehicle category in question. In the case of the latter, when applying for a driving test, applicants should submit a written request from their local Motor Taxation Office indicating the need for an early driving test appointment...
    [END]

Advertisement