Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom highspeed line?

Options
  • 27-01-2003 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question, i'm putting together a pc for a friend of mine who has just gotten an eircom high speed line installed, i'm wondering what sort of modem do i need to get this going right and is there anything else i should know?

Cheers Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

if it's high-speed (which really isnt that fast) it ISDN so you need an isdn modem shouldnt set you back more then €40 unless you want a really good one for gaming. You can tell it's ISDN by a box on the wall with 2 rj45 and 2 rj11 socksets under it and two lights one for power and one for network. If it's ADSL will just be two rj11's on the wall socket you need some variety of ADSL modem and probably a network card budjet at least a €100 for something decent. It's probably just ISDN though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Cheers man, i haven't seen where the computer is going, i was just told by a non-technical minded person that its a high speed line so no point in me gettin a 56k when ISDN is needed!

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redshift2

dont be to fast when eircom , put out adsl at €45 , they do not give a guarentee of 512mb per sec,
    what they are really doing is reducing the service and reducing the cost ,
    it is still €107 a month for 512mb ,,
    what a sham

dont believe me ring eircom ar freephone 1800512128

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

redshift2 what the hell are you talking about?????

As for the TA, if you looking for one. Go with the Diva or Asus link 128. Both are cheep and very good, for downloads and games. They work like any other modem. IE you plug them into a PCI slot and then install the software and away you go

Advertisement