Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win 2000 prob

• 27-01-2003 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

i not sure if this where i post this:
    feel free to move to the relevant board

a friend of mine while booting up his laptop which has win2K installed encountered a prob, the lapotop wouldnt fully booot up and then just hung thereat the moment he isnt able to get in at all. when he booting up his hd starts making a funny noise he was thimking that it might be the hd that fcuked but i think that it the boot sector that corrupted or a virus..
    any ideas on how to solve appreciated.
    i was thinking of doing a repair using win2K what do u recommend???????
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How does it fail to boot up?
    At which part of the boot does it fail?

Does he have an integrated floppy drive?
    Can he boot-up using a floppy, and see if he can access the HD?
    (if it's NTFS then use NTFSDOS).

If the HD is making very strange noises, contact the manufacturer, if it's still under warranty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

boot to setup and initally seclect new install. it will scan for previous OS and ask if you wanna repair it, it will refresh the OS.

also, try the recovery console and run fixmbr

if the HD is making noises back it up and set it outa there, it not worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

tanx lads i got it fixed
    i just formatted the hd using killdisk and then made a clean install of win2k.
    he goning getting the hd repaired cos there seems to be something seriously wrong with it.
    thanking you:cool:

Advertisement