Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First DVD Player?

Options
  • 27-01-2003 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

1/ SCAN SC-440LSI DVD player info €175
    2/ Teac DV3000 (Multi-region) info €199
    3/ Cyberhome ADL528 (Multi-region) info €115

basically - all i'm looking for is a good player, region free and that will play vcd's/mp3's and regular cd's

any one got thoughts/ideas/advice?

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Avoid the 528... its long in the tooth now for a budget player, and has a number of small problems.
    personally I reckon the best budget player is the Cyberhome 505 ..they've ironed out a lot of the stuff from the 528 I hear, plus its got a fair few new items.. including dual-lens.. should give a slightly sharper image.

http://shop.iol.ie/shop/products.asp?groupid=9103&productid=CH-DVD505S

I'd only reccomend the 528 if you're not stacking it anywhere near another seperate (it gets hot), or don't plan to use it a lot for mp3s... tis a bit flimsy as well (the door hinge and cd tray are easily broken), and err if you don't use headphones :)

plus afaik you're going to get killed on delivery from scan. (£20~E30)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I have the TEAC DV-3000 and it's a little belter. For god's sake don't buy it from Scan. Instead, get it from Richer Sounds here .

[edit]

Just checked your own link- why the hell did I thing you were buying it from Scan? :confused:

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

hmm
    any more comments for the taec over the cyberhome??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Erm, it looks cooler? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have the Cyberhome 505.
    Used the software crack to remove region coding and turn off macrovision (so you can run a feed through your video machine, or to your computer).
    Decent machine, very decent price, and it does the job nicely.
    One of Denmarks better exports!

and its now on its way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

cyberhome are German Built no?

The 505, lovely little player.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're actually a Danish company, but most of their business in Germany, and their website is almost all totally German.
    They are Danish though.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I got my CyberHome ADL 528 before christmas, and have used it alot since to play DVDs and MP3 CDs.

You don't have to pay out extra money to get Richersounds to make it region free, just buy an unlocked one and do the following:
    Power Up, Eject, Stop, 1, 9, 9, 9
    Then you get the 'Secret Menu' where you can change the region support.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version 10.01Update here
    This supports:
    Explorer style view of MP3, previously MP3 support wasn't great
    Screensaver (fixed timeout)

I would recommend the 528, but then again I haven't much else experience with DVDs and am viewing them on a wee 14" Philips TV.

• Advertisement

its now sitting on my desk...
    results tomorrow

What one did you get Micro?
    Put up a small review in a new thread and I (and everyone else) can add opinions of a few other budget players.. at least then ppl wont have to keep asking :)

i got the ch-dvd 505
    182e in total (vat and delievery)

ordered on wednesday and delievered on friday

i'll report back how it goes tomorrow!

CH-DVD505S.jpg

the machine seems well put together - heavy and solid but not too weighty

tested with monsters inc - region 1 on my new 28" widescree (no extrenal 5.1 speakers though :( )

installation was a breeze - scart <-> tv
    and turn it on

very easy to region free - just bring up a menu ( the instructions how-to are on the iol page) and select your region.

i haven't used any other dvd players so i'm no sure how it compares against them - but it plays a lot better than my philips dvd drive in my pc - much smoother and with zero jerkyness.

the sound and picture in MI was perfect - couldn't be faulted

overall it can't be faulted
    and i'm delighted

Advertisement