Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pool V Gunners

• 27-01-2003 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

being a Utd Fan I hope the pool do us a favour!

What do people think?

Who Will Win? 30 votes

'Pool
    0% 0 votes
    The Gunners
    40% 12 votes
    Draw
    40% 12 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    20% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

God knows why but I actually think the Pool will win this one. We've been so unlucky/sh1t against the gooners recently that we could just sneak it 3-0.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

There no question the gunners are the better team.

Only thing is the 'pool way of defending , and hitting them on the counter, is probably the best way to play against the gunners at the moment, as if you have a go at them, they can destroy you.

If 'pools defense have a good day, and owen plays well they could sneak it, but I'd have to say i wouldnt bet against Arsenal.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

Jerzy's back, halleujah!!!

2-nil to the Gooners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

We've been so unlucky/sh1t against the gooners recently that we could just sneak it 3-0.

lol :D

We played well enough against them last time, and were unlucky not to get away with the 3 points (jeffers should be shot dead.).
    Hopefully Liverpool can restore a bit of pride to their game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gone for a draw, cant see a win...:(

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Gone for a draw too but am hoping the pool can nick it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

A draw will make me happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

going for a win - i think we can sneak it 1-0 maybe - it wont do us much good but it'll make an interesting run-in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

around this time last year, the pool were on a poor run, played utd and beat them 1-0 with a danny murphy goal .... i've a feeling the pool will nab it, and Dudek will play a blinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I vote for a pool win. 1-0 big Johnny Riise free kick!

Lets get revenge for Jeffers dive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Gunners to win 2-0 with the 1st being a Dudek Howler :) hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the pool to get a last minute penalty to win in after a dodgy decision.

That would be so nice!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/2704837.stm

Have a straw Houllier. Get a good grasp on it. No, actually, have an entire bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

went for a draw but i'd love to see liverpool do it!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

1-0 to the gunners atm.

Cmon teh arse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Wish Michael put on his scoring boots.... good breakaway by arsenal for the 1st goal, Dudek was unluck his block could have gone anywhere but alas went to Pires with only the open goal to beat! The pace of Arsenal is phenomenal. Also why are the arsenal fans shouting Hoof all the time, Tony Adams isnt even on the bench.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

To say owen and henry are in the same league would be to compare apples and oranges. Henry is world class and quite simply owen is not. I am a pool fan but if frustrates me how many chances owen has spurned in this half. How many does the guy need? And at 22 he isn't going to get any taller or faster. In straigtht 100m race Henry would be at the finish line 3 seconds faster than owen in my opinion, his acceleration and sustainted pace are phenonmenal. Henry is lightening he ghosted past Carragher and Henchoz on the left wing like the weren't even there. Luckily Bergkamp's bad touch left much to be desired.

Liverpool went straight at the arse from the first whistle. Great I thought things are going to change but if Houllier thinks playing the same tactics at a faster pace is going to change anything he better have his head checked. Gerrard is still playing the long direct pass and diouf is the only outlet unfortunately all he wants to do is turn and run towards the corner flag. Hopefully Liverpool will get some fresh ideas in the second half and subsitute owen for baros. Then maybe something can happen for Liverpool!:mad:

2111: Liverpool 1-1 Arsenal
    John Arne Riise unleashes a thunderous left-foot shot from the edge of the area to put Liverpool back into the game.

poop

90:00 (0:13) Goal - Emile Heskey
    Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal.

gaymaster

jeez that was fast kaids, are you watching it on your comp?

Liverpool deserved a draw for all their hard work but it doesn't do any team any good though. Arsenal did create a looooottttt of chances which on another day could of been a trashing for Liverpool but Liverpool never seem to concede tons of goals so that's a testament to the last foundation Houllier has his defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well well well...... It wasnt a corner but feck it that makes up for the olympic award winning dive of ex Toffee Jeffers. Dennis's goal was fortunate with the deflection it took but Arsenal always looked having a few goals in them when they attacked. We actually played well at times tonight we even managed to get the ball wide :eek: Baros should be on from the start imho the lad is on form unlike Michael who unfortunatly is going through a very bad spell. We needed something from this game very badly with all the other clubs winning who are above us.

Arsenal will be hard pushed by the 2 United's to the title but Arsenal just seem to have that little bit extra... that bit extra being Henry!

Owen is a joke.....

Two one on ones scuffed. First minute, he gets in front of Campbell (well done) and then COMPLETLY misses the BALL when he swings for it (not included as one of the two one on ones btw). He won a corner after one of his shots went miles over the bar. Ref thought "Nah, he couldn't have been THAT far off target.... Must be a corner." But no, he did actually just blaze it miles over the bar (really, miles) from inside the box.

Heskey could well get man of the match for that performance. And he'll deserve it too. Assist, a goal, and a goal mouth clearance (when Dudek spilled :rolleyes: ). He battled, won plenty of headers, and credit where credit is due. Well played Emile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Nah I dunno Ronan, its a very tough one, he gets a touch on it allright, but not 100 % if the touch happened when he was still on the line.

Fair play to Liverpool, but Jesus, the JAMMY BASTS! was the first thing that came to mind.

Although I only caught the last half hour, from what I saw Arsenal deserved it but paid the price for their poor defending.

I thought Liverpool looked very very sloppy the only decent play I saw was the cross that landed on Heskeys Head.

But sure Im happy :)

Bottom line i think is that Liverpool are too predictable and it showed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Phew!:)

Me mops brow...not that it does us much good mind...

Mike.

Michael should have been replaced by Baros at half-time. He wasn't at the races at all. His inconsistency is driving me up the bloody wall. Good form or bad form, he should have put one of those chances away. Fair play to Emile, he worked his arse off all night and deserved to get the equaliser.

I really think Liverpool should sell him.....

Think about it. Someone like Barca or Madrid could easily be duped into paying big money for him....

Meanwhile DiCanio comes back for the Hammers and inspires a win for em. We need someone like that. A creat0r.

Kamobe, what is the point in selling Owen when the transfer market is in turmoil?

Answer : There is absolutely no point.

It's all been said before, read the "Owen" threads.

The two teams I mentioned will spend regardless. Madrid are always in debt, yet they still splash out millions on players. Even an exchange would do, we just need a clinical striker. Every other team in the top half has one. They could take in £20/25 million for him. That is if someone will take him.

Point taken in that, I know no other British team would put forward the cash for him, and the Italians are all bust.

In future I'll make it my business to analyze every thread with respect to a player before I post a comment based my frustration.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Scouse were lucky but I suppose were worthy of the draw for keeping at it.
    Should have been 4 down by half time. No corner, felt the ref leaned towards the kop all nite but it is a good result for us.

Owen is rubbish, he is lacking serious confidence, how he is going to get it back is hard to know but he is playing pants at the minate, mellor would have been way ahead of him today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea we'd get a fiver for Owen atm.

Never really expected to win, so very relieved we didnt lose...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I see the tyne boys have sneaked into 2nd, no one seems to be taken any heed of them, but they are still playing well

Good point yop, Mellor is a better option up front atm. He's big, strong and chases after the ball when the opposition have it. How many times have we seen owen do that!

Trouble is there's no competition for owen, it's like when Heskey was always being picked even though he had terrible games week in week out. Credit where credit is due, Heskey was fantastic tonight his best peformance of the season I would say. Houllier should leave owen out for 2 games make him play in the reserves and make him work to get in the team. I think Ferguson did it with Beckham a few years ago, Beckham came back and was back on form. Couldn't hurt to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by CivilServant
    jeez that was fast kaids, are you watching it on your comp?

Get some BBC Live text skills :)

Scousers were blessed, how arsenal did not win that i will never know. Oh well :(

As an aside, how about that pires flick? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

what a game .. being a utd fan I was up for pool
    but seeing arsenal in the 20mins was amazing, the pace of the first goal, was superb

Dudek pulled off some good saves, but some of the marking was dogdy .. i remember henry was left totally unmarked, and pires?? pulled it back to him, for a clean strike and a good save from dudek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Liverpool deserved a point last night. Prolly one of the best performances I've seen this season from them. They were up for it. The crowd were amazing too.....wish i was there.

I was happy to see Dudek make some great saves.

I think its time Owen gets dropped and time for Baros to start instead. Owen of old would have at least scored 2 of those chances.

Big Johnnys goal was great. Some power in that!
    Heskeys goal was great too. He deserved it as he worked his socks off for that.

Now we gotta try and carry this form to Sunday where we play the hammers away.

• Advertisement

Is a corner, isn't a corner why whinge when the ball was cleared before the goal was scored.

League is in United hands now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Dudek kept the Pool in the Game , 1 mistake when he dropped corner ( helped by heskey) but IMO he commanded the defence and made some super saves.

Henchoz and Hyppia looked off at times ....

Owen was poor but still think he can come good again

Heskey was very good and I thought Diouf played quite well too

Still not convinced with Cheyrou

=========================================
    :D I'M BACKING NEWCASTLE FOR THE TITLE :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Is a corner, isn't a corner why whinge when the ball was cleared before the goal was scored.

League is in United hands now.

Err it wasn't a corner but then again Jeffers dived so I think it evens that out. Great game some very good skills from Arsenal (especially that Pires flick eh Dustaz!).

As regards "the League in Utds hand now" how do you figure that out. Arsenal are 6 points ahead, Utd have to win their game in hand and then hope Arsenal slip up on two matches. If they finish on even points at the moment Arsenal have a +9 goal difference :) I'm afraid everything is still in the Gooners hands :)

Gandalf.

ps Henry is God :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by yop
    I see the tyne boys have sneaked into 2nd, no one seems to be taken any heed of them, but they are still playing well

Don't worry Sheron and I are taking heed of them. Nice to rack up yet another win in London anyway, but then again it was only Spurs, which is basically a guaranteed six points for us every season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

anyone else notice how much Dudeck freaked when he dropped that ball. I know he made some excellent saves, but his reaction there led me to believe he is not feeling too secure in the first team. As regards Owen, I think the Pool fans should give him a break. Yes Henry is a better player buit there is no shame in that. I genuinely believe that at least part of Owens problem is the way Houllier has Liverpool playing. Owen is at his best with the ball at his feet running at defenders and he does not get as many chances to do that now. His confidence is suffering too, so keep hammering him that will help him to recover. Great result for the premiership, it should keep the title race going that bit longer. Maybe United can even haul Arsenal back. Both teams are going to drop points between now and the end, it is far from over.

• Advertisement

There was a couple of points in that game where he was dribbling like Maradona. Literally.

1\ When he skinned Henchoz and Carragher
    2\ When he strolled into the Liverpool box and hit the post
    3\ When he set up Pirez for what would have been a goal very similiar to the Birmingham goal he scored recently.

One of the best players in the world at the moment :) These are good players he's toying with...

Owen is at his best with the ball at his feet running at defenders and he does not get as many chances to do that now

Any striker worth a damn should be finishing one on ones like that though. Even if he scores one or two. But missing them all? :)

Originally posted by gandalf
    As regards "the League in Utds hand now" how do you figure that out. Arsenal are 6 points ahead, Utd have to win their game in hand and then hope Arsenal slip up on two matches. If they finish on even points at the moment Arsenal have a +9 goal difference :) I'm afraid everything is still in the Gooners hands :)

Gandalf.

If Arsenal slipped up in two games as mentioned above then they would lose the league assuming that United won all of their games. :)

Arsenal only need to slip up in one game, that is the game v United (A six pointer). If united win all of their games by 3 goals every 4 games more than arsenal win theirs (as Arsenal have +11 over United and not +9) , United would win the league, that's how I get that United have the league in their hands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So you are saying that United are not in the driving seat then yes :)

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

muhahah!@# Come on UNITED!@#

Originally posted by gandalf
    So you are saying that United are not in the driving seat then yes :)

Gandalf.

Not at all, if united win all of their games and outscore arsenal then they win the league. United are in the driving seat.

It is obviously up to them to produce the goods and points in the bag are better than games in hand etc..

I would not like to see United win the league but it is in their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Alternatively its in Arsenals Hands too :confused:

Its like saying if Ireland Qualify for Euro Champs in portugal then winning it is in their hands , all they have to do is win ALL their games .... silly argument really :rolleyes:

Not at all, if united win all of their games and outscore arsenal then they win the league. United are in the driving seat.

It is obviously up to them to produce the goods and points in the bag are better than games in hand etc..

I would not like to see United win the league but it is in their hands.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. If Arsenal win all their games (and they don't have to outscore anyone, they have better goal difference already), they win the league. United could well HAVE to beat Arsenal to win the league, where it is quite likely that a draw against Utd for the gunners could end up being enough for them. Arsenal are still in the driving seat.

If arsenal won yesterday then United would have to hope that Arsenal slipped up in more than the game against them and win all of their games. Now United can win it without the help of any other teams.

If arsenal won yesterday then United would have to hope that Arsenal slipped up in more than the game against them and win all of their games. Now United can win it without the help of any other teams.
    So can Arsenal, and Arsenal will be at least 3 points ahead no matter what the outcome of Utd - Southamption is, therefore...

They still have to play one another.

Before yesterday united would have to beat arsenal and hope somebody else took points from them. Now if united win all of their games and Arsenal win all bar the united game then United can win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement