Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

provisional renewal

Options
  • 27-01-2003 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I did a quick search for any previous post like this and couldn't find anything so sorry if it's been posted previously.

Anyway, I failed my test first time round in Dec. and have since reapplied and am waiting on a test date (which suits me because I've just started a new job and too busy to get a heap of lessons at the moment). I've heard there's a huge backlog so I figure my provisional may have run out by the time I get called for my test so:
    (1) can I renew my provisional by post and if so, how do I go about it?
    And (2) do I have to send my old provisional off and if so
    with the new law in place can I resume driving lessons with my old instructor who knows I have a valid provisional with my licence off being renewed?

thanks

[edit I've just been informed by my friend that a provisional is valid for two years although I was almost certain it's only one. Which is it? /edit]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Erm, last time I checked, you could go straight in to the tax office and renew your licence on the spot. You need to have a licence with you when you're driving, so saying it's in the post could be dodgy if you meet a cranky Garda on a power trip.

On the other point, a provisional licence is valid for two years. If you look at your licence, it'll tell you when it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good oul oasis.....
    You may not apply for a third provisional licence unless you can provide evidence that you have (a) undergone a driving test in the two-year period prior to the application or (b) evidence of a forthcoming test date.

So, even if you have just the letter confirming receipt of your test application, that should be sufficient proof of a 'forthcoming test date'.

If they won't accept that, then you'll have to wait until you get a date for your test. Then apply for your new licence. Everyone (except the insurance co's and the tester) will accept the little slip the tax office give you as proof that you have a provisional licence, so that shouldn't be a prob.

1st and 2nd provisionals are for two years. All subsequent licences are for one year.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

thank you both.

Two years, grand, that's me sorted then :)
    And I have my trusty 'you've failed your test' certificate (nice that they give you something I guess) so I figure that would be my proof, but sure hopefully I'll pass this time round so they'll be no need to renew.

Advertisement