Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when you were small....

Options
  • 27-01-2003 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

...what or who were YOU afraid of??

thought i'd ask this in keeping with the teary-eyed reminiscence(did i spell that right?cos if blazin squad can and i can't,i'm going to feel like a right spa) of the tv thread.

my top four childhood fears(in no particular order) were:
    1)podge when he was on the den
    2)zig and zag when dressed up as the phantom ticklers
    3)the wicked witch of the west(she STILL freaks me out a bit)
    4)being taken away by fairies(i have NO idea why,i just have this home video somewhere in some drawer and in part of it i'm completely distressed over this possibility)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

i still have a fear that the little faeries won't take me away....quite a horrifying thought, isn't it?

hmmm.....anyhoo...

1) the dark
    2) the scene in Sleeping Beauty where she is walking up the spiral staircase and there's the green light and Malificent was saying "aurora....aurora!".....it scarred me. for life. not funny.
    3) the REAL version of the little mermaid. (either kill the guy she fell in love with or turn into sea foam...there was this scene with her and this dagger over his sleeping body...and ursula's character was truly horrifying...not like the disney version which actually made me laugh when i was supposed to be scared.)
    4) the dark
    5) spiders
    6) snakes
    7) mice
    and
    *drumroll*
    8) the hole in the bottom of the pool swallowing me up.

hmmm. yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I was scared of lifts, and of stairs that had gaps in between each step. *grr*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Serial Killers.

I spent 7 years taking hours to get to sleep because I believed someone was going to kill me. 7 years every night in a cold sweat, so scared.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

i was SO scared of those stairs!!and the top of escalators,where the steps went underneath and once brought the pink panther with them...
    and ooooh,stepping onto trains cos there was a HUGE gap between the platform and the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

podge
    the dark
    spiders (still am slightly afraid of them)
    wurzil gummidge
    stepping onto trains
    ursula in the little mermaid
    the softman dude on the softmint ad (i'm still terrified of that)
    sloths (it's a long story...)
    covered slides
    people on stilts
    lifesize cartoon characters
    mimes etc.

that's all i can think of for now.
    sHep :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

i was so scared of Ursula the first time i saw the little mermaid that i had to LEAVE THE THEATER when she said " this could be the KEY to Triton's unDOING!!!" and swooshed out of her little nook or cranny or whatever in her sea cave.

i was always afraid of a robber coming into our house at night and killing my whole family.

AND, right after i read roald dahl's The Witches, my brother took a candy from a lady we didnt know and i was CONVINCED he was going to turn into a mouse the next day. it was HORRIBLE. i spent the whole night hugging him and crying. keep in mind that i was only 7 or so... but STILL! SCARY STUFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

That tombs guy from the X files..
    He could move through air vents... there's one straight across from my bed.. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

I fear the fact that I had the same fears as Bob....... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

in no particular order;
    1 lifts
    2 crabs (recurring dreams are a mother****er)
    3 pulp fiction
    4 ed wood
    5 edward scissorhands
    6 people called edward in general, even my brother.
    7 people doing stuff to their eyes. i still am.
    8 zuppy
    9 my mother giving me spaghetti that was actually worms
    (thanks to the twits. dag nab that roald dahl)
    10 that the army would could and steal me away (!!!!)
    11 that everyone in the whole entire world were there red um, creatures and would one day unveil themselves and um... steal me away. (! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! )
    12 sock puppets
    13 x-ray machines IF THEY CAN DAMAGE A PREGNANT NURSE'S BABY WHEN SHE'S ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM WEARING A F**KING LEAD APRON WHAT CAN IT DO TO MY KIDNEYS? ha?

jesus i'm weird.

14 the guy in the x-files that could morph and was in the movie and could only be killed with this long thing ====

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

1. That I would be gay
    2. That being around my mother would make me paranoid
    3. That i was paranoid already
    4. That I would end up skitzofreinic like my mother
    5. That there was a skeleton under my bed
    6. Lifts
    7. Girls
    8. Groups of people
    9. Blindness
    10. That there were snails in my sandwitches (damn that round the twist show, i'm still afraid to watch that)
    11. The witch thing in the little mermaid
    12. That I would never learn how to make friends
    13. That my dad would find out I broke the computer again :)

Haha, i was such a messed up kid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Spiders, heights, gaps getting on trains <which is just odd>, bunk beds, the dark, something attacking me while i was on the toilet, things waiting at my window watching and just waiting for me to let down my guard and they'd come in and slaughter me <i still get occasionally paranoid about keeping curtains closed>, and of course chucky being under my bed and wanting to attack me when i got out. ... Maybe that all explains the insomnia.... :p

But yeah, I saw childsplay on sale in hmv i think... wasn't it banned or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Things I'm scared of now......
    Darkness indoors.
    And failing exams.
    And not being able to make things better.
    And finding Sven dead.
    And spiders.
    And drowning (but i don't mind water ? )
    And that fear will take over my life and make me into one of
    those people.
    And that I'll become a lawyer (don't laugh)

I'm sure there's more, but I have to run, run far away to the law school, sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Bagpuss (still terrified of him)
    Indians burning my house down
    That red hairy monster from Bugs Bunny cartoons
    Vampires
    Giraffes
    Horseriders chasing me through a spooky forest (recurring dream)
    Klingons (the mere sight of them made me burst into tears)
    Woodlice
    Ghost Cats with Wings (another recurring dream)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Laura

perverted men. that was it really. well, the big one. i still am afraid of them.

aw.....:p

You've never seemed that afraid of me... unless those WEREN'T tears of joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Originally posted by purplepolkadot
    3 pulp fiction
    Gnwharl? I suppose John Travolta is scary enough, but wha..?
    Are you afraid of snorting heroin? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

mel gibson leaning on my head. (dream)
    sHep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I was afraid of fog, made my sister have asthma attacks and that scared me ****less.

<< Fio >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

Teenage years:

was/am affraid as seeming like a mindless horny idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

Originally said by nosmo
    Gnwharl? I suppose John Travolta is scary enough, but wha..?

are you well??? i seen it in 1995. I WAS SEVEN. that shot of uma thurman all coked up with the **** coming out her mouth. and then the rape and the gimp, and my brother calling everyone gimp then. note the thread is called 'when you were small...' i'm not scared of pulp fiction now. i love it. hook it to my veins.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Tom Jones would be top of my list. Too old, too wrinkly, too leathery and too suggestive - that "you can leave your hat on" song makes me feel sick

When I was small I was scared of the gremlin leader from Gremlins 2 that had a line of spikes on its back and was really, really evil. And the clown from Poltergeist. And Chucky. And syringes. And I hate feet, though I don't think it counts as a fear, they're just kinda gross

Don't fear the reaper.

Wow, freakyness or all freakyness, only a few days after I wrote my last post on this thread one of my friends met Tom Jones and got his autograph! I am so worried for her safety
    Even worse than that though, a girl in my year who I am NOT friends with met Tom Jones and FLIRTED with him - I think that should be illegal

Or videotaped. And given to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I remember seeing a nightmare on elm street when I was about, umm, seven years old.

That was, very... ahh, graphic, considering I was a younger viewer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Not sure, memories are kinda clouded :( , i DO remember being afraid of drowning though (which is why my parents sent me to a swimming club .... afaik)

I've come to the conclusion that movies should not have possessed dolls/puppets/clowns or freaky little children because they are way too scary! I have vague memories from when I was little of a movie with these evil china dolls in it. Can't stand the things now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Or what's scarier than those china dolls is that girl in Interview with the Vampire. She's like a china doll, only she drinks blood and hides corpses in her room.

Advertisement