Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40x Cd writer only writes at half speed

• 27-01-2003 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭

Just a general question...

ive a 40x cd rw from samsung, but it never writes at said speed.

I use clone cd and watch it start of at 13.98x and maxing out at 24x about 30% of the way through and staying at 24% for the rest of the burn.

Ive checked my processor usage, and its not even at 3%. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I ahve this problem aswell, i think its simulate writing you tick and it writes at 40x then
    Also what speed media are you using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

what does it do with a different program, like nero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ye using 40x disks?

you can select 40x with a 4x speed disk, but the software scans the surface of the disk and decides the best speed\reliablity balance.

so even if you are usuing 40x disks, it might only run at 20 coz they are crap. Then again, I got nice 16x a good while ago and they burned at 24x :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I have a similar problem with my 8x writer. I've tried with Nero and Easy CD Creator, etc... When it burns a cd, it says it's going at 8x, but it takes 20 minutes, which indicates it's only burning at 4x...
    Maybe I damaged the drive while carrying it around :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The burner will burn at different speeds at different parts of the disk. Sometimes it will hit 40X, mostly it would be less sometimes less than 20x. The media makes a huge difference too. You need 40X media. You'd be surprised how much 40X and higher media is really a pile of poo and burns at 16x tops.

Basically this is normal. I would expect that a full CD should take about 3:40 - 4 minutes burning onto a good quality Verbatim 40X disk. Now stop worrying about it and quit buying crap CD's.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find Verbatim DataLife 24x 700mb and Philips 40x 700mb discs are very good. They always write at 40x (yes, the 24x verbatims too :)) in my Asus CRW-4012A drive.

Some cheapo brands like "MMORE" and "PCLine" are utter sh1te though, you'd be lucky to get 16x out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Just don't buy shít media.

I've seen 16x Vivastar media only burn at 4x max in some burners.

(Media will normally burn at the rated speed but good media is worth paying for for long life anyway)

The way a 40x CD will burn is that the cd will start at a low speed and spin up in sections as it goes wider out on the disk surface (eg. 24x, 32x, 40x). The actual spin up occurs in blocks and the disk only burns at approximately these set speeds along the way.

My 40x writer for example burns at an average speed of 32x/33x across the entire disc.

Advertisement