Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone from or know Finglas South?

Options
  • 28-01-2003 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone here from or know Finglas South? I want to know what is between Barnamore Grove / Gortamore Road / Tolka Valley / Saint Helena's Road. Some maps indicate it is as a green space, some as a steep valley, satellite image seems to show either a filled or excavated area. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The Tolka vallley is all of those things :)

it started out as a quarry then was a dump and then was greened over into a greenbelt between finglas and cabra.
    Finglas is higher up then Cabra so the start of the greenbelt is
    softly rolling fields that slope down to the valley where the river is it can be very steep in places. The river runs close to the cabra side of the greenbelt.

There are several walk paths that crisscross the greenbelt some winding and long other short and steep.

When we were kids it was a great spot for kite flying, minnow fishing and picnics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

filled or excavated area

You wouldn't be talking abotu Dunsink Dump would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Thaed
    The Tolka vallley is all of those things :)

When we were kids it was a great spot for kite flying, minnow fishing and picnics.

Now it seems to be the de rigeur place to take your stolen car and burn it out - sometimes it looks more like The Valley of the Lost Cars

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No, it isn't the main valley I am talking about - look at theis map:

http://interactive2.iol.ie/oceanmaps/content/index.asp?bWFwPW5lYXJlc3QmYT1CQVJOQU1PUkUgR1JPVkUsIEZJTkdMQVMsIERVQkxJTiZnPTI1MDg3NTgmej0xMA==

Teh area is the green coloured area between Barnamore Grove / Gortamore Road / Tolka Valley / Saint Helena's Road. Zooming in will give you a satellite photo.

Hmm. hard to tell from the sat photo. I soetimes pass the end of that 'green' on my way home from work, maybe when it gets a bit lighter in the evenings I'll cast my eye over...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I live about 1/2 mile from there, the top part (st helena's road part) since when i last saw it is full of muck !

what happened was that it used to be a valley-type walkway and it was dug up and filled in and levelled with just muck and left there.

The bottom part is probably the same but i have not been down there in a while, it used to be a walkway under that tolka valley road which went onto the green belt.
    Perhaps i should walk down there and take a photo :):)

Suprisingly I remembered this yesterday evening as I drove past.

It's just a pice of green belt, with a low single rail fence around it - looks like it might have recently grassed tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Borzoi
    Suprisingly I remembered this yesterday evening as I drove past. It's just a pice of green belt, with a low single rail fence around it - looks like it might have recently grassed tho.
    I looked at it about 2 months ago, it looks like a steep gully that was filled in. The grass wasn't very successful when i saw it. :) It is a possible route for Luas. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=894269 (red line)

Advertisement