Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messenger Servife Problem

• 28-01-2003 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Some time ago I disabled the Messenger Service* that spammers exploit using the "net send" command from dos to produce pop-ups.

I recently set up a home lan and wanted to enable the messenger service again so that I can send pop-up messages to other computers on the lan.

Except there's one problem - "Messenger" has completely disappeared from Administrative Tools -> Service and "net start messenger" produces a "The service name is invalid" error.

It appears the messenger service has somehow been completely removed. Is there any way to get it back?

(BTW, I'm using WinXP Pro)

* Not to be confused with Windows Messenger or MSN messenger

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

control panels > admnistrative tools > SERVICES

change properties from disabled to automatic.

add port 135 to the firewall rules on outside connection

that stops messenger spam coming in but allows it across the network .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hysteresis

Originally posted by Muck
    control panels > admnistrative tools > SERVICES

change properties from disabled to automatic.

add port 135 to the firewall rules on outside connection

But the problem is that Messenger is no longer there.
    It's registry key under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger" is also *completely* missing.

Advertisement