Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robin Hobb latest series

• 28-01-2003 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

i just finished the Golden Fool , second in the Tawny Man series , and i am quite dissappointed by it , feck all happens , it's the biggest book ever just to set the scene

naturally i will easgerly await the last in the series in case it comes good , but after the excellent Liveship series i wasnt impressed, anyone read it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Yes there is a lot of character development in the Golden Fool but most of it is important or seems so at any rate. It is all about Fitz and his realtionships to the other characters. Not forgetting his awkward position in the greater scheme of things. While it stays that way it remains interesting in my view. Looking forward to the third one.

Fade to credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Haven't read it yet, have just finished the first book which I thoroughly enjoyed.

PS. I also thought that the Liveship Traders was an excellent
    series.
    PPS Any book in the wheel of time after the fourth would beat
    the golden fool hands down for the title of "Biggest book to
    set the scene" evar

Not too spoilerly spoilers
    PPPS Nice to see him tying back the Bingtown traders etc, so they
    are all based on the one world then. Like the inclusion of,
    the beach again where Kennit went that time and the Ugly
    slug-men. Also wasn't there a Golden girl in The liveship
    traders ;). Is there anybody else expecting a vist from her
    soon ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I got the impression that
    the golden skinned girl in the liveship series was actually the fool from the assassain trilogy. The fool in the latest series has a wooden bauble and is quite tanned. also there are numerous hints to his/her travels.
    The fool is also in love with Fitz and has never been directly identified as either male or female

haven't read the second of the tawny man series but I should be picking it up during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have not read it yet.. i read the Farseer books and have the live ship trader series but have not read that yet.. is there another series i should read before Liveship traders?

No there isn't the Liveship traders is a series on it's own, the Tawny Man series, which I think may give away the sex of the fool a bit possibly :), does mention some of the goings on in the Liveship traders though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've read both of the books in the Tawny Man series. I really enjoyed them. I've not read the liveship series and I don't feel that I'm missing anything. (in terms of the Tawny man series that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

deranged , the tawny man would (have) made a lot more sense if you had read the liveship series i'd say

but then again if you dont know what you are missing......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

timewise the series' go Farseer Trilogy -> Liveship Traders -> The Tawny Man

i thought the Golden Fool was good , i didnt mind that not really that much action occured , it sets the scene for a damn good finale though imo.
    Amber in the Liveship traders is the fool, Jek appears in the Golden Fool and refers the the Fool as Amber, i thought it was a nice touch connecting the books but its weird the way that Amber seems to have her own different 'Catalyst' to the Fool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cool, im reading all 5 HitchHikers guide books again and will read Liveship traders when im done.. I have taken a break from Robert Jordan's Wheel of time for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

just finished the last Liveship Traders book there, thought the series was pretty damn good but in my opinion it wasnt near as good as the Assasin series or as good as the Tawny Man series so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Halfway through the first book of the 'Liveship traders' series at the moment. Seems like an amazing book, I've just gone past the bit where Wintrow cuts his finger off and offers it to his father. Almost moved me to tears, seriously!

Originally posted by xx
    Halfway through the..... spoiler spoiler spoiler .....Almost moved me to tears, seriously!

Possibly try putting in spoilers when you are putting in bit's of the tale xx...

Like this without spaces
    [ spoiler ]
    Insert the bit of the book people havn't read here so that they do not end up wanting to beat you about the head and body..
    [ /spoiler ]

and it will come out like this
    See

Okay, I'll try. [ spoiler ] Hope its worked.

I'll try again.
    Second times a charm

Mebbe now.
    If this doesn't work, I'm gonna be narked

yayyyy

Advertisement