Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What U mean by self Defense?

Options
  • 28-01-2003 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

OK, all BS aside.What do you lads understand by "Self Defense"?
    Seems most of ye on here want a fight!Gotta tell ye,legally,world of S**T waiting for ye there!Into escape and evasion or stand and slug it out?Bare hands or weapons?Digs or blood spilled?
    Any fight is a life threatening situation.You going to look for that or walk away?
    "What if you're trapped?"
    Where do you live? No dead ends in my town?Are you looking to try out your new MA skillz?
    Want to see how hard you are?
    Why an SD Forum?
    I don't object, been my hobby for years now......but what is it attracts ye to this stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Well I asked for this forum because I am intrested in self Defense sports and that kind of stuff.

For me it is not anything like beating the crap out of some-one. I would never use my skills on the street unless I am in danger of being seriously hurt and I would only use it as far for me to get of the dangerous position that I would in and step back and run.

I also take self defense not just as fighting. As I have posted once before its about the products aswell like maze and tazzers.

Basically anything to do with defending yourself and not just Martial Arts(even though its pretty cool)

Hope this solves your question.

I am just enthusiastic about this subject hence I asked for a forum and we got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I dropped it all after boxing, and plan only to return to do Judo for the extra bit of variation to my current training. Because I think it could be fun, and I reckon I will be good at it.

I think self defence is useless for the majority of people the majority of the time. I have said it before, but in a self defence situation things are not controlled and all is likely to go pear shaped. Unless you are really at the top of your game, your "skills" are unlikely to do **** all for you. A few random thoughts ...

I know of two good lads who took unmerciful hidings, one was a 1st dan and another was a 2nd Dan.

Some martial artists let themselves go badly after reachin a certain level - but retain their belts.

I truly believe there are very few people with the level of skill to compensate for being much smaller and weaker in a fight. I guarantee I could take a few people into any intermediate martial arts class who would punch through or simply resist a lot of holds or blocks - moves become harder when someone a lot bigger than you is not cooperating. 10st vs 20st just does not work.

In a mugging situation you are targetted as a "soft touch" - muggers don't look for a challenge. They will likely be bigger than you or armed or be in a group (hence I think serious physical training and just being a big bast tends to magically keep you out of trouble - Look like you would be too much hassle).

Enjoy self defence for the physical conditioning and coordination it affords you - but if you plan to be the defender in a situation, don't count on it. Anybody can be caught out as none of us are always on top of the game.

Best you can do is learn to throw a few proper punches and learn to take a few and then just get big - but that is just my take on the whole issue.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I agree , the cinditioning you get from actually taking hits is great!
    Also, every one does some MA or boxing etc. these days.All else being equal, bigger guys win!Even with leet skillz a big man will wade through your couple of techniques to get on you and hurt you.Add a couple of other guys waiting to join in and you getting ambushed cause you didn't spot the guy mirroring you across the street and his two mates moving across to block your way.Awareness of your environment and not going where you'll get tagged as a mark helps a lot!Lights and crowds don't guarantee safety,neither does getting huge,but every bit helps.
    If it were to happen to me I'd hope to be alert enought to have copped what was happening and already moved up the threat scale from white (unaware),past yellow (suspicious and getting ready to run/throw a slap and run) up to red(this is really happening,deck this guy and Go).Very hard to go from unaware to straight out fighting for your life,and the BG is already up to lamping you if he doesn't get what he wants straight away.
    Seconds count and keep those peepers open!Also, being big and aggressive like (most?) bodybuilders,you can project your nastiness to others on a subliminal level that tells people to stay away or you'll turn the place into "The Wild Bunch".
    Last point,Mace or any pepper spray,are considered to be chemical weapons and are more illegal here than guns.Tazers and stun guns also banned,as are batons,saps,blackjacks,and pretty much any martial arts weapon you like if you carry it to "defend" yourself!Don't get caught and stay out of jail.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Don't get caught and stay out of jail.!

Eric Cartman said it best: "Your a fuc*in fag*t dude"

Do you have the slightest Idea what the martial arts are actually about?

I seriously doubt it. You seem to think its all about beating the crap out of potential muggers and being the hard-man.

"Defend your body, not your ego"

You know one of the basic rules is run first, punch later.
    If you truly understand martial arts, you will know never to throw the first punch.

All BS aside you say? Well the only thing thats comes from you is BS, and badly typed BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

General Rule in Martial Arts.

Hit and Run.

Basically just protect yourself and get the hell out.

As my instructor says grab by the ears and knee them in the groin.

Martial Arts is not about beating the crap out of some-one. Its about defending yourself.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've never been beat up, ever! not because i know any martial arts, i'm not big i just talk my way out of fights. Someone try's to 'start' on me i convince them i'm defenceless and get off scott free. Bizzare but it works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

I do not consider myself a hard man.I have studied various MA Styles for over ten years.In that time I've had to defend myself only twice.Once using a wristlock defused the whole thing.The other person took a single punch and I legged it.I do not advocate fighting would be muggers,I'd prefer people spot the situation and avoid it!I also do not encourage people to caryy any weapons,and was pointing out that they are,in general illegal.People don't always follow the laws,especially in a high crime area.I don't believe a generally law abiding person should be punished for not feeling protected by the Gardai.Also, no instructor has ever told me I couldn't punch first.I believe there is a big difference between MA study and self defense.MA can help in self-defense,but you have other options.Staying out of bad areas and general cop on being a big factor.Finally, how does your Cartman quote contribute to this post.I don't mind reasoned criticism,that's your right.But that kind of thing is childish and pointless,adding nothing to peoples knowledge.

Advertisement