Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on the q3 console ...

Options
  • 28-01-2003 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

to all you l33t people with xor-pants... Is it possible to get stenciled self-shadowing working in Quake3 on the character models? I can get stencil buffered shadows working, but I'd love to go one further and get self-shadowing working.
    I know Jedi Knight2 does it, but is that JK2's own work, or part of the Quake3 engine already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Hey,

Would you mind uploading your conifg i'd like to see what q3 looks like at top graphics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Originally posted by zoidberg
    to all you l33t people with xor-pants... Is it possible to get stenciled self-shadowing working in Quake3 on the character models? I can get stencil buffered shadows working, but I'd love to go one further and get self-shadowing working.
    I know Jedi Knight2 does it, but is that JK2's own work, or part of the Quake3 engine already?

Afraid not, gotta remember the original q3 engine is 3 years old so its a definate nono!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 zoidberg

Originally posted by *NemesiS*
    Afraid not, gotta remember the original q3 engine is 3 years old so its a definate nono!

Ah, suspected as much. Friend supposed that a lot of the work on JK2 was Raven's - ah well, no biggy, the stencil buffered shadowing is pretty poor anyway.

As amazing as this may sound, I only just got a copy of Quake3 for the first time last month. I've played it thousands of times at LAN nights, but never had a copy to practise with... ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

JK2's engine is based on quake3's engine and there are alot of obvious similarities. Just as alot of other games regardless of the fact that the engine is 3 years old.

Originally posted by melachi
    JK2's engine is based on quake3's engine and there are alot of obvious similarities. Just as alot of other games regardless of the fact that the engine is 3 years old.

yeah, and all I wanted to know was whether the coding that produced self-shadowing was Raven's or was in the original build of Quake3. It isn't - probably just as well; there's only so far I can push my machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

i believe a part of id is devoted to the q3 engine, bringing out newer updates and added features that 3rd parties then use in the games they make with the engine. raven also modified the code a lot themselves, so it's equally possible that raven or id are responsible for that particular feature.

btw, my shadows are really messed up on JK2. like some baddies shadows appear on the UPPER (not lower) surface of whatever is above them, and shadows generally tend to appear in the weeeeirdest places. anyone know what's with this?

btw, what are stencil buffered shadows and self-shadowing?

Originally posted by Balfa
    btw, what are stencil buffered shadows and self-shadowing?

Self shadowing is just where parts of a character model cast shadows on itself, eg, a model's nose will cast a shadow across the face, as opposed to just having an "all round" varying lighting on the whole model, that you see in quake3.

The stencil buffer is just another buffer (depth buffer, z-buffer - you have probably heard of these) in, for instance, opengl, which stores depth values across an axis of every pixel on the screen, and is used for projecting shadows of objects onto surfaces. So that allows you to projects a models shadow onto the architecture of the world.

Dunno if that makes any sense, or in the case of the stencil buffer, is actually correct.

nice.

how do you get stencil buffering in Q3?

And do you have any idea what's up with my shadows in JK2?
    Duron850, 256MB, VIA KT133A, Ti4200 64MB, latest drivers (41.09? i think?)

The self shadowing thing looks really dodgy in JK2, too... it just looks like big flat square panels of darkness all over his shoulders and stuff.

Excellent game though :)

nice.

how do you get stencil buffering in Q3?

And do you have any idea what's up with my shadows in JK2?
    Duron850, 256MB, VIA KT133A, Ti4200 64MB, latest drivers (41.09? i think?)

The self shadowing thing looks really dodgy in JK2, too... it just looks like big flat square panels of darkness all over his shoulders and stuff.

Excellent game though :)

You can get stencil buffered shadows in Quake3 by typing the following into the console:

/set cg_shadows 3

As for JK2, that's just how the game does self-shadowing by the sounds of your explanation. It's not your machine, it's just the way that Raven implemented it. Each poly on the character model is in shadow or not, so it looks pretty flat and square at times. It looks like that on every other machine that can handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

how do u see the model hitbox in quake 3?. I did try sv_cheat 1 and cg_drawbbox 1 and it didn't work.

Fair enough about the self-shadowing, but any ideas about the obviously incorrect shadow problem i posted above?
    some baddies shadows appear on the UPPER (not lower) surface of whatever is above them, and shadows generally tend to appear in the weeeeirdest places. anyone know what's with this?

Sorry to keep dragging out an off-topic issue, but i thought since we're here... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    how do u see the model hitbox in quake 3?. I did try sv_cheat 1 and cg_drawbbox 1 and it didn't work.

emm...plz

Advertisement