Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is there a better option??

• 28-01-2003 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hypethically, just for a project !!!

A group of students are housed in 2 apartment style buildings. Lets say they are unhappy with there current service provider. Lets say this company provide them with a dns server, 400K line which is transmitted to them from a college via radio, or whatever means and also provide service(if needed). Lets just say that the service they are providing is €20,000 per year. Is there a better option?

Now I have heard that eircom are offering 512K for €54 per month. What would happen if the apartments wanted 4 of these lines? Currently, lets say, the apartments have a 100meg switch and connections to all the rooms. How would the service operate? Is it just a case of buying 4 pc's and putting an adsl modem into them, putting on the software on them to redistribute the line to the students who only have ethernet cards???

Or is there a better company that can offer all of the services of the origional one but cheaper and at a better speed?

Or would they be better off staying where they are?

Remember this is all hypo ;-)

THX

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Couple of problems:
    • Eircom's ToS will undoubtedly forbid you from sharing their connection like this.
    • load balancing the traffic across 4 adsl lines will be a major headache to set up.
    • There will be a 4 gig download cap on each line -- 16 gigs download limit in total. This could be a problem if you have a lot of users
    You would be better off looking at Eircom's 1-meg enhanced package (~€190 p.m.), which is cheaper, has no download limit and allows connection sharing. And it's available now -- not vapourware like the €54 product.

http://www.adsl.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

i-stream sounds very good. But lets just say that the apartments are in some place like dundalk. Hypothethically speaking of course!
    At present, it is available within certain Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Kerry exchange areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jesus, stop with the riddles and just ring 1800 503 303 and ask whether you can get a 1meg enhanced line into your appts ffs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

Hypothethically if you just told us you're exact situation maybe we could give you a better answer, of course after you ring 1800 503 303

Well I rang them up (hypo..... ahh ) anyway. They don't have dundalk in there range, but they did say that they may have in march (but they are not sure). Our contract renewal is coming up soon so I want other options.

They went on to say that we could purchase a router and have isdn. Apparently we can get 64K each (I couldn't understand this part)

They reckon i-stream won't be here till july. The (ahem) project is for connection now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

once your one year contract is up, you can get out at the end of a given quarter with no penalties.

next window may be end march, check your bills.

next window after that, end of june

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

did you check with esat about their dsl i think that may be available in your area

esat? isn't that digiweb? I think they are expensive. On a diff topic is boards hosted by digiweb? Ip's are similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Sniipe
    esat? isn't that digiweb? I think they are expensive. On a diff topic is boards hosted by digiweb? Ip's are similar!

No, no and no :)

Esat are EsatBT and their DSL is the same price as eircoms current offering.

Boards is hosted in erm, not sure. Their provider is Nevada Telecom i think.

Thx dustaz, will ring them later on 2day so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement