Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seti@Home User Efficiency

• 28-01-2003 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

With so many people using Seti@Home Crunchers on their machines. I'm curious to know what kind of results Boards.ie
    users are getting?

I use SETI Spy as an addon utility to see how efficient the workload is going and an estimate time remaining.
    I got it here: http://pages.tca.net/roelof/setispy/

These are the kind of results I'm getting on a PIII-866, 256Mb attached...

Anyone try Seti Spy on a P4?... you should see a very high return under 4 hours.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

The times vary a lot though don't they? I mean each unit has a different amount of work in each... the current one I'm on needs 3.33 TeraFLOPs to complete it. Daveirl, if you used SetiSpy does it tell you when your efficency is? , ie for my P3 cpu w/ memory @ 102MHz gives 7.71 CPU cycles per FLOP and crunches 112.41 MFLOPs per second.

Comes with a handy efficency calculator. See attached.

Actually, I haven't actually browsed SetiSpy's site for awhile and I found that's it no longer been updated. Oh well, seems complete enough. :)

I use SetiDriver as a Cache manager. Useful enough.

Setiwatch is handy which records all previous individual results.

Every use any of the other utilities that you found useful? :p

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think v3.03 was the last major functional update... there is new version one for the frontend version in windows to fix a few problems... oh hold on :)

Windows version 3.07 is a special Windows release. It is exactly like version 3.06 except for one bug fix:
    Some workunits produce large (> 60KB) result files. Previous versions can't send these files, so users don't get credit (and, since our server doesn't get results, it keeps sending the work units over and over). This was only partially fixed in version 3.06, but is now fully functional.
    The two previous Windows releases were versions 3.03 and 3.06.

The one that matters, the cmdline version is still 3.03 though.

With version 3.0, they introduced 2 new algorithms to search for pulsed signals. One is a generalized pulse finder and the other is a fast triplet finder. The generalized pulse finder, while highly optimized, is still very compute intensive. In order to balance sensitivity to pulsed signals (a good thing) with workunit throughput (also a good thing), the client will apply the pulse finder more often in some workunits than others.

I though the older client version results were eventually rejected after a period of time but probably not.

Doh! Yes, SetiSpy 3.2.0. The newer version supports show cpu temp etc. (if the old one didn't)... The author made it clear that it was the last update but that people are free to make addons.

Advertisement