Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontier ( elite 2 )

Options
  • 22-01-2001 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i might download this cool game.

Please dont speak of Warez or pirating.It's old, one of my fav games so i just wanna play it for a while again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

jaysus, Frontier... I remember that from my Amiga days... what a load of bollix it is biggrin.gif

- Munch
    dogbert.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Pure $hite - it was released with about 83,000,000,000,000 bugs in it. And the infamous readme.txt file which they didn't bother cleaning up before release, and still had gems like '5. The (insert Alien name race here) does not exsist in game, but pretend it does in interviews etc. in order to hype the game.'

They don't make them like that any more. Thank fu<k.

sig.JPG

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 22-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

was one of the most adictive games i ever played, gets a bit boring as you need a few million (litterally) kills in order to meet the games final objectives, and the flight system was so dod***, i ended up autopiloting my ships into all but the larger ships that would be a bit o fun to kill manually. andyway u can pick it up from most abandonware sites. dont have any adresses on my atm, but there are a few on another post here.

Redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I didn't get that werid readme, however when I bought it the guy gave me a second patch disk so that probably fixed it.

As to finding it you can try underdogs. I think it was at one time abandonware but there was rumour of all the games being shipped on one CD as a new release so it was removed (or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Its around, and I used to love it (3 months of constant playing). I just got immersed in it, I really felt the part and I've never done since on any game. The thing that did it for me was the story books that came with the game. I'm still waiting in anticipation of a version of elite that lets you debark your ship and explore the different planets.. thats where the ultimate game lies in my mind - done online mmorpg style of with real economies, wars, quake style soldiers, x-wing style space battles, generals battling in red-alert strategy style etc.. Some game some day will do it and do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

david Brabham has started an Elite Club, members of the club will be able to purchase all of the Elite games on 1 cd for £15, it will most likely be 30-40 in the shops.

Guess who joined the club last year biggrin.gif

for those not in the know
    thats
    Elite
    Elite +
    Elite: Frontier
    Frontier 2 : First encounters

Each will be run through a new interface for win98/2k and have been patched to bits (especially FE)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Christ it was so bad. Way too many bugs, half the later missions couldn't be completed as targets never actually turnd up.

Pity as Elite was the first game that really had me in awe....My uncle had it on his C64 and gave it to me since it was ' A stupid thing where you fly towards the planet and then back again to the big cubey thing'. He stuck to his "MoonBuggy"
    Fewl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Whats Frontier 2 like, i never played that.

BTW Frontier ro><ored,

I remember 1 time when i actually destroyed one of earths space stations with my ickle fighter ship. Took 7 hours that did, and a whole llottav dodging of missiles. biggrin.gif

oh and lasers, and other ships biggrin.gif

Did i just dream i did that confused.gifbiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

And oh yes, anyone know where i can download Frontier 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Firstly Castor Troy is talking ****** he probably means Fronter First encounters (ELITE 3) which was buggy as hell but still playable

Frontier Elite 2 Was pretty stable actually I never remember it even crash on either My pc or my ol' amiga

http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?name=Frontier%3A+Elite+2 ( Full think afaik :-) )
    501k only so it's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Err no Lord Khan, I refer to Frontier as in Elite 2 which was utterly bug ridden on the Amiga.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Elite 2 wasn't buggy on my system at all. Again I had a patch disk when I bought it.

Elite 3 had a number of bugs in it,but the game was still fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

CT is right..

Elite 2 is famous for having no beta testing at all, and it was popular b4 the net, back then no one knew want a patch was smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

the only time Elite 2 ever ever crashed on me was when i tried to enter a contact binary system.

other bugs i know of were the

hyperspace (after 650.17 ly the clock resets)
    using triangulation you could basically jump from sol (fed capital) to achenar (imp captial) 32 ly away in a 3 ly ship.

Gems - there was a planet on the border of the federation/imperial space that had gems and precious metals flagged as illegal and their price was a minus figure, only available in small quantities but making huge profits.

Elite quick - buy a mining laser from olympus mons mars and loads of fuel, travel out to phobos or deimos and let it blast, keep firing and hit fast forward, it takes about 3 hours of shooting but you become Elite.

but as for Elite 3 (first encounters) that was the buggiest bunch of bugs that ever bugged. there were a total of 5 post release patchs and even then it was still bad, only 70% of the story line was incorperated.

But thats all supposed to be fixed for the new release.

**check out infestation by David Brabham and frontier studios aswell**

[This message has been edited by [SN]JAG (edited 23-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Ah, I feel like this a good excuse to go retro again. Jet Set Willy 1 on the Commodore 64 was the first game ever where the Software company (Software Projects) actually released a patch (well, released a few poke lines) which allowed you to complete the game. Well, gave the possibility of completing the game as one of the rooms had a bug, once entered through the wrong way, it was impossible to get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Frontier Elite 2 was brilliant..
    first PC game i ever got really immersed into.. and emerged some 5 months later well up on the Imperial rankings.

First Encounters on the other hand was a pile of pants, exact same thing except with sound and video.

Advertisement