Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rebooting...... a thing of the past.

• 28-01-2003 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Just something I've noticed with Sky Digital and me recently.

The current software for the digiboxes is beyond compare. I cant remember the last time that I had to reboot the box, because Active or Text wasn't working. A vast improvment from what it was 6 months ago. I have a 2nd generation Pace, and its been as reliable as anything since well before Christmas. The lack of posts here about this topic reflect that.

Mad, innit? ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, I never have had to reboot my box since I replaced my Pace 2500 with a Panasonic DSB31. The only time it gets a reboot is with power cuts (of which there was a few today :rolleyes: )

Though I do notice that since new software update, it takes ages for my box to get from Active services back to channel hopping, which, from discussion at DS, is something common on the Panasonics. Thankfully, I dont use Active much! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Funnily you should mention this, my box has gone at least 3 months without crashing in interactive mode.
    I hope it stays like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i have to reboot my grundig frequently as the text "disappears" from the rte's etc. almost once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

My Pana DSB31 has *never* ever needed a reboot, but I can see from the forums that I'm a lucky one! One thing I have noticed though is that switching between the BBCi text service and TV channel picture can at times be really slow - is this normal? I thought blue screens were Microsoft copyright?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

how do you update the software? Does it vary between boxes or is there a generic way for all digiboxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by dmeehan
    i have to reboot my grundig frequently as the text "disappears" from the rte's etc. almost once a week
    If you change channel on the Digibox the TV may not notice and the cached pages are wrong.

On TV, try changing to an RF station and back to Digibox AV, if the teletext seems hung.

Then the TV "flushes" its incorrect teletext pages.

Though sometimes the Digibox Teletext is a little odd. Unlike terrestiral TV or analog statellite, Digital TV teletext is actually on a separate data stream. The digibox actually sticks it back into the picture after the MPEG2 to DAC to analog decode processing.

On my PC Digital Satellite receiver I can capture all of the teletext pages even though the PC can't receive the encrypted video or sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oh wait, found the instructions for updating:
    There are two things you can do. First you could try to let Sky upgrade your software by leaving your digibox on standby over night.
    This method above only works if Sky are sending out a upgrade that night.
    The second way of upgrading is to force a upgrade by switching your digibox off at the mains for 1 minute and as you switch the Digital box back on hold down the BACK-UP and a message should be displayed on screen saying you are getting new software.

Got it off http://skydigital.mediabullet.co.uk/index.php?page=faq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This bits vital, when you turn on the box, hold down the back-up button on the front of the box, not the remote. They missed out that bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by DMC
    This bits vital, when you turn on the box, hold down the back-up button on the front of the box, not the remote. They missed out that bit.

Even more vital is take out the card before you start.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Aye, that too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Tony,
    Why do you take the card out/ I never have worried about over the air upgrades or rebooting from the "Back up" button routine.
    My dsb35 workes well having survived 3 software upgrades so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by telecinesk
    Tony,
    Why do you take the card out/ I never have worried about over the air upgrades or rebooting from the "Back up" button routine.
    My dsb35 workes well having survived 3 software upgrades so far.

Beacuse it can on occasion mess up the card.

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement