Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has NETSMART service got problems

Options
  • 28-01-2003 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know of any problems staying connected to NETSMART recently, I seem to be getting disconnected with alarming regularity, plus when im online everything is so slow loading up, I was just wondering did the SQL worm get into their systems,

Also I used to get very good pings on online gaming servers, but thats gone out the window as well.

For example right now im looking at 2 black networking comps on my systray and they were always on before

BYTES received only 808

BYTES sent 719

I dont know whether they make any Difference, but those figures were very much higher before this last week

Just asking

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Yeah, I have noticed the same, and very regular, especially at night, in the early hours of the morning when it should really be quiet and have no problems.

BTW, should this thread not really be in Net/Comms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

has the pope got uhhh ...pirceless artefacts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I don't know about Netsmart but Surf No Limits is fecked since ESAT launched Netsmart. :mad:

Check the SNL thread in Net/Comms where this thread will be moved to. :rolleyes:

I think ESAT has some serious capacity problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

i *finally* got nolimits going on my isdn. NO THANKS to eircom or esat. only to find, it spikes to 350 ping on my first hop, and the spikes increase nearly exponentially on every esat hop after that. hades.esatclear.ie seems to be the mother of all black holes. i believe netsmart ocean iolfree, and nolimits share roughly the same routing, tho nolimits seems to be particularly "choice"

1st hop: quar130.esatclear.ie , about 5:30 today

Ping statistics for 194.145.128.244:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 343ms, Average = 38ms

2nd hop: hades.esatclear.ie, about 10 minutes later

Ping statistics for 194.145.128.254:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 577ms, Average = 73ms

this was at a super quiet time of the day, 5-6pm after work, and before veryone gets on at 6.

fast forward to 23:10, prime browsing time

1st hop: quar225.esatclear.ie

Ping statistics for 194.145.128.225:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 78, Lost = 22 (22% loss),
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 138ms, Average = 24ms

2nd hop: hades.esatclear.ie ?hades was hell right?

Ping statistics for 194.145.128.219:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 0, Lost = 100 (100% loss),
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

NICE. Now im able to use irc, and browse at sub 33k speeds, but come on to f*ck like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is the third thread about dodgy netsmart/nolimits in 24 hours so this is quite a problem, are esat even aware that the service is screwed.
    don't know about Netsmart but Surf No Limits is fecked since ESAT launched Netsmart.

I had no probs with SNL ever, even since netsmart launched it was perfect all the way for me till about 3 weeks it started to go abit laggy but the last week/few days in particular is just a joke, online gaming is now impossible, i get 9999 on gamespy on all servers and when i do try and enter a server the phonejack is constantly on and i cant move.... up till now i was getting a solid 50 ping on Uk servers with SNL. So for the moment im back where I was before i could use my isdn wiv nolimits... using oceanfree for online gaming and paying per minute:( Then when i try to reconnect wiv SNL for irc/msn its an uphill battle waiting and waiting to get connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it is useless at around 10pm but works a dream at 5am :( very inconvenient

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Well im glad im not the only 1 experiencing problems, ill give ESAT a bell later on and see what they say, probably gonna be the same rubbish but hey its worth a try

SHIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BlackFlag

Yes I am having the exact same problems.....I play Halflife DM online and I am getting pk loss of 20% everytime
    I had no problems til 3 weeks ago etc
    now I have to use Eircom most times which is silly when I am paying for Netsmart
    Can't get thru on this line either....1890923111
    left waiting listening to their poxy ads.................

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

I've been using netsmart for 4monthsish & have not been billed. With regard to the connection quality, I now can't play on jolt servers(been using blueyonder) & my ping is even more useless(its useless anywayz) to mainland europe.
    Btw the first time I connect every day is always teh best connection I get, I suffer teh least amount of packetloss & horendous ping. If I connect a second time later in teh day teh connection can be really bad ie an extra 100+ millieseconds to my ping

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully fingers crossed that they have now sorted all the probs at ESAT nolimits/netsmart as today is first day in nearly a month that my connection is back to normal... downloads of 8k/sec, fast surfing and rock solid in-game pings of 45/50 on uk servers with no lag or packetloss:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it *seems* to be resolved now, it only took two months to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

hase it fixed itsself yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Yea the latency on the first few hops has reduced quite a lot now, looks even better than oceanfree actually.

I get an average of 80 to 105ms on oceanfree and nolimits to www.iol.ie (analogue hardware external serial modem), while last week nolimits would be 130-150ms.

(traceroutes made using Matt's traceroute app with a packet size of 32bytes)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Netsmart, nolimits and iolfree are all down right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yep, you're right eth0_. It's killing me that I'm having type this right now connected to Eircom.net free and am getting charged per-minute instead of on No Limits. Rang the tech-support line to hear a recorded message by a guy with a half-Northern Ireland, half-American accent (well, it sounded like that to me! :D) saying they're experiencing technical difficulties and apologising for any inconvience caused.

Seems to be happening more and more regularly these days, unfortunately. Come on Esat, get the finger out. Just being online with Eircom these past few minutes and knowing they're getting even more money out of me with each passing minute is starting to make me feel physically sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by aidan_dunne

Seems to be happening more and more regularly these days, unfortunately. Come on Esat, get the finger out. Just being online with Eircom these past few minutes and knowing they're getting even more money out of me with each passing minute is starting to make me feel physically sick.

It wasn't just netsmart, a lot of the esat network fell over.

Just being online with Eircom these past few minutes and knowing they're getting even more money out of me with each passing minute is starting to make me feel physically sick.

Man, you should see a doctor :-D

Advertisement