Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London..

Options
  • 29-01-2003 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to be starting work in London soon and I'm posting on the offchance that someone here might have/know of some accomodation available end of Feb/beginning of March.

Reasonably priced, near public transport to Kensington/Hammersmith/Shepards Bush area by tube/bus and access to a phone line are about the only essentials.

If anyone knows anything, drop me a PM. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Copied to Regional > Abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

loot, on line and off line is your friend...

www.thegumtree.co.uk is where I have always found where I end up living..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thanks for the site link and them mobile info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

www.findaproperty.co.uk

If you're renting a room expect to pay from £325 up to £450 for something decent with a London postcode. If you can manage to get outside London, but within the six travel zones, you may get cheaper accommodation but you'll have to weigh it up - rent vs. travel costs.

Agency letting is more expensive in the UK than Ireland - in London, if you go through an agency you will have to pay £70 - £120 administration fee when you apply for tenancy on a property, followed by a month & a half as a deposit up front plus one month in advance.

Loot is useful for rent-a-rooms etc, loot online has an "early bird" thing where you have to buy a token online for from £5 to view adverts in the first three days they're posted - I mean, you'll see them on the site but you can't click into the contact details until they're three days old unless you have the token.

Local papers are also useful.

Which part of London will you be working in?

I'll be working in West London (W14) so I'm fairly flexible on area and rent - depending on distance. The price range you specify is roughly as expected and within the budget :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    I'll be working in West London (W14) so I'm fairly flexible on area and rent - depending on distance. The price range you specify is roughly as expected and within the budget :)

That's cool enough - if you don't want to share with someone though, be warned, a studio or one-bed flat will set you back closer to £600 or £650 - realistically a one-bed will be closer to £700. Then again, renting a room is more fun because you get to make lifelong friends and enemies out of your housemates...

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    Then again, renting a room is more fun because you get to make lifelong friends and enemies out of your housemates...

Nothing like the joys of housesharing, no matter what country you are in ;)

Funnily enough..I don't think I've ever shared with any lifelong friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

go to the gumtree then; and find a house share with some aussies, and have some fun :)

Hmmm, well after sharing a house with 3 Northern "lads", a nyphomaniac woman, her french boyfriends, her other boyfriends (when he wasn't there), an gaming/net freak who barely left his room and a complete rugger bugger....I can take pretty much anything lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    if you don't want to share with someone though, be warned, a studio or one-bed flat will set you back closer to £600 or £650 - realistically a one-bed will be closer to £700.
    Is that per week or per month???

• Advertisement

That's a per-month rate.

Advertisement