Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trick For Orals!!!

• 29-01-2003 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

here's a great idea for the orals:

Go into them with a cast/bandage on your arm or whatever....

then memorize what to say when they ask you what happened. AND THEY WILL ASK!!
    try and make up something really long and tragic...

so what ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

might try that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Don't do that! It's like the oldest trick in the book. And it'll more than likely NOT work.

I remember when I was doing my orals one of my classmates had broken his leg a week before and he was using crutches but he left them outside the examination room - because he was worried the examiner would think it was a cheap ploy to get them to talk about his "accident".

If you want advice I'd suggest learning a good bit about what you did last summer. Holidays, work, etc. - learn loads about that and you can keep talking about it. That's what everybody got asked in my school last year.

We were all hoping there was gonna be something about the world cup in the orals...wasn't to be sadly. (damn all those country names i'd learned in french)

Since I lived in France I'll just yak on about that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

I asked my teacher today and she said that the examiner would definitely ask you about your broken arm but you shouldn’t do that because you would miss out on talking about other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spoofer

You could just get a life and talk about that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well all know that getting a life is much to much effort... for me it is anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

This is what you should do bud.You have to kind of end each piece of waffle with a hint to next question for the examinar to ask you. Like you finish off talking about what you did on holidays last summer by making an unsubtle reference to the job you got after it, something like that.Then just have stuff to say about that.
    Your on the right track though it's just a bit too obvious.The examinars are used to that SHlT;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by spoofer
    You could just get a life and talk about that....

You have a link for that??
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

We got warned not to do the whole bandage trick cause they've been advised to just ignore it <what with it being THE oldest trick in the book>.

But my da told me how he did his oral... he was late, and arrived covered in mud cause his bike had been stolen and he'd chased the guy and got it back. When the examiner asked why he was late he simply explained what had happened. He was asked did he catch the guy and said yes. With that, the interview was concluded and he got an A. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

You know you are allowed bring in a picture or project to talk about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Thats only for French I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I had my arm in a cast for my irish oral but only got it on the day before and by god she asked me about it luckily i had learnt stuff for it 20 mins b4 t he exam rar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

yea, just be natural and easy going in the conversation..

as soon as i began listing off general facts about sport and drugs or whatever, the examiner totally lost interest... talk about what you know, and do it like your talking to a friend.

Advertisement