Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cable Systems

• 29-01-2003 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm interested in finding out more about Irish cable TV systems, both analogue and digital.

I think they are slightly different to UK systems, in that a basic package subscription in Ireland does not require a set-top box, whereas in UK it does (analogue only).

What type of set-top boxes do the cable companies use here ?
    I think I saw a Pace digital box in a friends house in Dublin, and a general instruments (analogue) box elsewhere.

Anyone know other types of boxes in use in Ireland ?

What towns have digital cable at the moment or is it only Dublin ?

Cheers,
    Ray.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well I can point you to http://icdg.boards.ie for further info!

In relation to set-top boxes. Most analogue systems do not employ one at all. The channels are tuned in directly by the TV's tuner. This means that TVs in the ROI market have to be capable of dual UHF / VHF reception, as the channels are carried in the VHF waveband. Unfortunately this also limits the amount of channels recievable (this, and the poor quality co-axial cable in use in many places).

A minority systems do employ STBs, Chorus Cork for one. Jerrold STBs are known to be in use.

For digital systems, there are two suppliers. NTL's preferred supplier is Pace. The Di4001 and Di4010 models are in use in Dublin, Galway, and Waterford. A new (cut-down) STB has also been reported, but I'm not sure if it has been deployed yet. The vast majority of the NTL cable network has digital available.

Chorus' favoured digital supplier is Sagdem. Chorus provide cable and MMDS television outside NTL's franchise area. Details of the Chorus STB are on the ICDG website. Chorus Digital is available in a number of their franchise areas presently, including but not limited to, Cork and Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ray Quinn

mmm... interesting...

How do cable companies in Ireland control subscription to a pay channel if they do not employ a STB in analogue systems ?

Also if you choose to terminate your service does this mean that a technician has to visit you to physically disconnect you ?

Do they send the analogue and digital signals out on the same line ?

Cheers,
    Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Yeah, digital and cable go through the same cable. On a different frequency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ray Quinn
    Also if you choose to terminate your service does this mean that a technician has to visit you to physically disconnect you ?

Sometimes they don't bother (given that it's usually as easy for someone to reconnect themselves as it is for them to physically disconnect the cable) but yes - they have to call out and do a snip job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

A system that works in Dublin, but the Cork people were too crafty and a scrambling system was chosen.

• Advertisement

so if I want to subscibe to Sky Sports, how do the cable company activate that channel on my TV ?

Surely some sorta local decoder/STB is required ?

Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

On NTL's analogue service Sky's sports and movie channels are scrambled so if you subscribe they supply you with a decoder (my brother's is branded Cryptovision).

Ditto Chorus - no STB = no sports or movie channels

cryptovision.. mmm

where is that STB in use ?

I thought NTL and chorus both used Jerrold/General instruments boxes... I think I saw these type in the South East..
    Ray

Chorus certainly use Jerrold/GI boxes in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Ray Quinn
    cryptovision.. mmm

where is that STB in use ?

I thought NTL and chorus both used Jerrold/General instruments boxes... I think I saw these type in the South East..
    Ray

Pace for NTL. I should say that subscribers to premium channels are in all cases supplied STBs.

Advertisement