Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State may fingerprint all immigrants

Options
  • 29-01-2003 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Examiner Breaking
    The Department of Justice is considering the compulsory fingerprinting of all non-EU nationals living here as part of a crackdown on a massive increase in identity fraud.

The fingerprinting would form part of a proposed new form of ID for up to 100,000 immigrants, it emerged last night.

A spokesperson for Justice Minister Michael McDowell said a formal decision on whether the new ID would include fingerprints had not yet been made. However, the country’s Garda immigration chief last night said he was in favour of the move.
    So who's going to be first to say "If you have nothing to hide"?

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

I have no difficulty in saying it!

It is widly accepted that a large percent of immigrants however do "have something to hide" (multiple identities and a inclination to engage in fraud). Subsidising immigrants is costing this country over 400 million a year and any attempts at reducing this burden is to be welcomed in my opinion.

Now, if these immigrants seeking asylum are (according to themselves) fleeing from torture, persecution and human rights abuses, surely the taking of a fingerprint is a very minor inconvenience in comparison or is it to be construed as a "persecution" also.

The Gardai know there is serious fraudulent activity out there ................ the Garda immigration chief is not a man known as a rabid racist. Until someone can come up with a practical alternative to successfully tackle the problem, let's go with the fingerprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Its all about stopping those who make multiple applications and use bogus names.

It should spped up the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Adam, what do you think would be the problem with this arrangement?
    (I thought it was mandatory to post an opinion!)

Do you feel that we have no right to satisfy ourselves, that the people we are opening our borders too are in fact who they say they are? Surley we need to do a very comprehensive backround check, before letting them in?

Perhaps the fact it might hamper the international criminal gangs who prosper from 'people smuggling' that concerns you? (Just kidding)

Seriously though, before we grant anyone residency rights, a fingerprint check (to ensure they arent on the FBI's most wanted list, or to make sure they didnt apply for asylum, under another alias in a different EU nation) seems to be a very nessacary task.
    And by keepin gthe record we can ensure other dont claim the same identity in the future.

It is measure that would help weed out the dangerous, and the fraudulent, while causing little perceptable affect on the genuine emigrant/asylum seeker.

I am aware that the no of fraudulant entry apllications may only make up a fraction of the total no's entering the country, but i believe that need for security of the current residents of our island, would outway the invasion of privacy that the applicants might feel this involves.

I would imagine that when they gain irish citizency, they will have rights and privacys that we all enjoy. Thus it would be an interim measure.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    Subsidising immigrants is costing this country over 400 million a year and any attempts at reducing this burden is to be welcomed in my opinion.

Now, if these immigrants seeking asylum are (according to themselves) fleeing from torture, persecution and human rights abuses, surely the taking of a fingerprint is a very minor inconvenience in comparison or is it to be construed as a "persecution" also.
    I understand from the article that they were talking about fingerprinting all immigrants -- including legal immigrants with work permits or student visas, who far outnumber asylum seekers. Asylum seekers are already to be fingerprinted under new EU rules, so this is an entirely separate issue.

Legal immigrants cost the state absolutely nothing in subsidies, since they don't get let in unless they have a job or college course waiting for them. They also contribute millions in taxes and student fees to this country. Treating them like criminals isn't just unfair on them though -- if this gets through, Irish hospitals will find harder to recruit non-EU doctors and nurses, Irish universities will get fewer non-EU students paying €20,000 each in fees and US multinationals might just decide not to set up here if we're going to fingerprint their executives.

Again, this proposal will not affect asylum seekers at all, since they are already getting fingerprinted. It will put more strain on the already crumbling health and education sectors, as well as making this country less attractive to foreign investment. It's hard to believe a smart guy like McDowell is even considering this.

Advertisement