Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

• 29-01-2003 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I have found the following at www.scan.co.uk in the todayonly section.
    Chaintech 7VJL Apogee KT333 Audio+Round Cables+Cbox+Bodytheate Hardware
    AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67 GHz) with
    AMD Heatsink & Fan3 Yrs Warranty
    Scan '2010' ATX Midi Tower 350W PFC PSU + HDD Cooler + 3 x 80mm Fan + 3 Colours

I am in dire need of most of the above. The only thing I don't need is the case itself. I fried my mobo and psu a while back and noone seems to have a used one for me on the boards. Does this look like a good deal for around 300 Euro? I don't know anything about chaintech.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Let the Scan bashing commence:

Normally I don't deliberately say bad things about hardware retailers but Scan is a special case for me.

I've been screwed over badly in the past by their lack of customer service and to be quite honest I'll never suggest that anyone buy from them.

They have a very bad history when it comes to any replacement of faulty components. I know many people who gave up on getting replacements. Theres loads more people on Boards who've been fúcked over.

Also the shipping costs for an €300 order will be massive perhaps €40/€50 or more.

I'd suggest looking at Komplett as the shipping for your order will be a lot lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'd be very wary of scan.co.uk Heard a lot of bad things about them on boards.ie. Do a search for scan.co.uk to find threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Thanks for the info. Let me change this request for info then.
    I have a case, video card, hard drive, floppy drive, Duron 600 and lots of SDRam. I really need a motherboard and PSU as a bare minimum but would probably upgrade to a faster processor at the same time. I would also consider getting rid of the SDRam and buying DDR if the board only supported it.
    Any suggestions for me? I went to Komplett and I can get some of what I am looking for in an upgrade for about 300Euro but will still need to buy a PSU. To be honest, 300 was a bit rich for my blood anyway.
    Anyone got the bits I need? I do have an offer of a PSU used but haven't taken it up until I see what might come in a package.
    Thanks, Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When you get the replacement PSU make sure it's 300 Watt or higher. Modern PC's, especially Athlon systems need at least 300 Watts.

Thanks. That may be why the old one crapped out. I was using a 230 Watt unit. I won't consider anything less that 300W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

MSI KTV-L (KT400) - @105
    (Good board, have one myself)

AthlonXP2000 (Thoroughbred) @90
    (Great chip, good for oc'ing)

Twinmos PC2700 DDR RAM (256MB) @55
    (Not bad, decent RAM)

QTEC 400W PSU (Not all that great, but will do) @ 35 Euro
    (Weak for a 400W but have put them into more powerful machines, no problems)

Add about 12-15 for delivery.

Sorted. All from Komplett by the way.

Thanks Quigs. I may just go that route. I will see if there are any other suggestions or if someone has anything to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if you buy from them i shall slap you

WHEN the parts break ill feel sorry for you but still point and say i told you so . buying from them is totaly stupid . dont be a fool

elexes,
    I assume you mean Scan and not Komplett?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yip ment scan not komplett

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

god i hate scan, took 6 months for one order to come through!

If u don't believe me ask elexes!!!!!

Advertisement